How old was your son/daughter on their first visit?

Our kids first trip they were 5 (DS) and 3 (DD). We had a nice trip overall. If I had to do it all over again we would have spent more rest time back at the resort.

DD was 3- we went to the parks for just 1 day, to MK, and it rained cats & dogs from about 1pm on. We were with my mom, and she wanted to leave once the rain started. So, DD got about 4 hours total in the MK (and only rode 3 or 4 things because she was nervous about rides). We did stay onsite, so we did non-park things for the other 3 days we were there.

Her second trip, when she was 6, was what I consider her first "real" WDW trip- we went to all 4 parks and she was old enough to ride most things. She has been back quite a few times since then, and she has loved WDW at every age. She will be 12 on our next vacation.

My DS's were 5 & 6 on their first trip. I would have taken them earlier, but it wasn't financially possible. Also, my DH wanted them to be totally potty trained and old enough to not need a stroller. My first trip was when I was 4.

I say take them at what ever age you feel comfortable taking them.

My daughter was 8 months her first time. I think the first time she was really aware of where she was and what she was doing was at 20 months -- in fact, I was stunned at how much she got out of it, I had initially booked only a couple of days because I wasn't sure if she would be overstimulated or if she wouldn't enjoy it, but I ended up extended it to the end of the week while we were there.

Really, every child is different... but any age is fine as long as you're willing to go at their pace and learn to see the parks through their eyes. IMO, there's nothing worse than a parent pushing a kid too far too fast with this stuff.

My DD was 4. I "planned" to wait until she was six, but I just couldn't stand it any longer. :)

She was actually more adventurous when she was younger. She has since grown feathers...:rolleyes:

Our daughter was 4yrs old..She is an only child and I wanted to go once she was potty trained and didn't need a stroller..It worked out very well for us and I don't regret waiting at all

We have an only child as well. We took her at 5 1/2. We wanted her to be able to walk and not need a stroller. Plus, I wanted her to be old enough to actually remember the trip. She does. We could have taken her a year earlier, at 4 1/2....But I decided that the two of us needed to go to England that year instead!:thumbsup2

My minimum was 4 years old...

• No need to be a slave to a nap schedule
  • No need for diapers
  • No bed wetting
  • No crabby toddler-ness
  • No need to bring toddler friendly food
  • No screaming at night when others are trying to sleep
  • Able to remember the trip

Kerri

My boys were 5 1/2 and almost 4 on the same visit. We waited 9 years to have a 3rd child, so my DD was just shy of 3 for her first visit.
;)
I was 4 when my parents took me for the first time.

My DD was 3 years old....just in time for her to fall in love with the magic

My son came "in utero" ;), at six months, at 2.5 years, nearly 3 years, and we'll go again this fall at 3.5 years (hmm...is he spoiled or are we?!?).

The best age to bring them depends on what you hope to accomplish. We always take it very slow, do some touring in the a.m.'s and some pool time/playtime around the hotel in the p.m.'s and don't worry if we only see a couple of things each day.

If this will be a one time trip and you want to maximize your touring, I think you'd probably want to wait until they are old enough to pull all day duty.

If you'll be able to come back sometime in the near future and just want to have some fun, any age is great (my son really enjoyed himself each time...but his interests obviously were markedly different with each visit). It's a lot of fun for us to see how differently he reacts to things each time too and what he remembers/talks about long after we're home. Really looking forward to this next trip now that he's "Mr. Independent Adventurer" guy!

The first time I went I had just turned 6, and my sister was 3. My parents were first timers on that trip too! They had always wanted to go as children, but their parents weren't interested...Now my grandparents have all been!
Sometimes I think "why didn't you take me sooner?" but then I realize that I might not remember trips from any younger than 6, so I guess being able to remember my first trip is a good thing :)

I'll certainly take my own kids before they're 3 and 6! More like 6 months! :goodvibes

DD was 6 mo, DS 2.5

I don't regret a minute of that trip! We took it nice and slow and made some great memories! My personal best trip ever (out of 12)

My boys were 1 and 3. They may not remember it, but I can still recall the excitement in their eyes. Priceless! And we have wonderful photo memories for them to see!

I think any age is great but I read somewhere Walt said the perfect age is 7 years old.

Personally, I think 42 is the perfect age since that's my age and I LOVE it there!;)

Sweet! I was 7 at Disney lol. My first year going was at 3. I don't remember much about that trip, but I remember a LOT from my 7 year old trip. Guess Walt was right :)

DS was 2.5 for his first trip. It was great! Everything was "real" to him. He napped in his stroller without any problems. DS doesn't remember much of it, but DH and I do and always will!! I never understand when people say that don't want to bring their kids until they can remember the trip. DH and I will always remember DS's first trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter