How Often Do You Shampoo Your Hair UPDATE #49

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
I'm 46 years old and I have always washed my hair in the shower and condition everyday. My mother used to say your hair is going to fall out, she got a shampoo once a week at the beauty salon.

When I was getting my haircut and colored on Newbury Street in Boston last week (a treat), the hairdresser said I shampoo too much my hair is too dry and she was on her 3rd day of not washing her hair. She wraps it in a towel so no moisture gets to it in the shower. So it got me thinking what the norm for a shampoo, men or women.

I wash mine every other day. While every day is not good for your hair, any longer isn't good for my scalp. Besides 2 days is as long as I can go before it looks greasy. I wash it one morning in the shower, skip the next day and then wash it again the next. On the second day, I just wear a shower cap in the shower.

Every day for me also. I can't stand going a day without washing my hair. For some reason my entire body feels gross & dirty all day long.

I guess my hair will be dry, brittle & fall out some day, but at 45 it's still good. BTW - I go for a cut & color today & even though I know I shouldn't, I'll be washing it tomorrow too!!!

Every other day or every third day. I have a crap ton of hair (just got it cut short, but still super thick) and I have a problem with dryness if I wash it every day. BTW, it always looks its best on the day after the wash.

I shampoo once or twice a week, but I totally wet down every day, and condition every day so I can restyle it.

I have thick, frizzy, curly big hair
I shampoo mine about every three days. Sometimes I don't shampoo -I just wet and condition.
It never looks greasy or dirty.
My husband however needs to wash his every day or it gets oily

Every day for me also. I can't stand going a day without washing my hair. For some reason my entire body feels gross & dirty all day long.

I'm the same way and I shampoo every day. My hair however is not even remotely close to being dry and brittle. At 38 it's still shiney and soft and gray free so no coloring either.

I have thick, frizzy, curly big hair
I shampoo mine about every three days. Sometimes I don't shampoo -I just wet and condition.
It never looks greasy or dirty.
My husband however needs to wash his every day or it gets oily

Same situation here. Since I got pregnant, though, it's been more like every other day because my scalp's gotten oilier. DH has short, straight hair and must shampoo every day. He doesn't always condition.

So, Lynn CC, I think it depends on the person. It also depends on the shampoo you use; mine doesn't have very harsh detergents. We've gotten a new shampoo from Trader Joe's where the detergent is mild (cocamidopropyl betaine) and wayyy down on the list of ingredients after a bunch of essential oils like tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, etc. It cleans well without drying out the hair.

I have a short, layered hairstyle. While I do have a *ton* of hair, it is very fine and soft. So, in order for it to do anything, I use two different styling products when my hair is damp and then I use a sticky pomade and hairspray after styling.

I would love to not do my hair everyday, but with all that "product" in my hair, I have to. When I wake up in the morning it is standing straight up and won't do a thing. Plus, if I happen to exercise the night before, my head sweats and the whole thing gets very sticky. My hairstylist has told me I shouldn't wash everyday but I've never been able to manage without doing so.

I skip one or two days between washing. I have a dry scalp, but tend to get oily hair after 2 days of no washing. My hair is long and straight.

Everyday. If I don't I just don't feel clean. My hair does get oily so I need to wash it or it just looks :scared:

I wash every 2nd day in the summer and every 3rd day in the winter. I used to wash my hair daily and it was always dry, frizzy and breaking. Now that I stopped the every day washing, it is amazing the difference in the texture and softness of my hair. I now hate if I have to wash my hair every day - because if I've been sweating or it's gotten dirty, I sure don't just let it go until it's hair washing day - I wash it immediately!

I wash mine everyday and condition about once a week. I have super straight baby fine hair that I keep very short. If I don't wash every day it tends to look awful. It also dries in about 5 minutes on its own.

Every day. My hair gets so oily so fast, it would look disgusting if I didn't wash it every day.

I shampoo and condition everyday. It is important though to use good quality products. I use Bed Head Moisture Maniac and then Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner.

I shampoo every day and condition about once a week. Even shampooing daily my hair is very oily by the end of the day so there is no way I could go a couple of days without doing so. My hairdresser always compliments me on how healthy my hair is (and I do blow dry my hair everyday, sometimes I straighten it as well). She can't believe that I only condition once a week and that I shampoo every day.

I just use Panteen Brunette Expressions and then every couple of days I use Head and Shoulders just to keep dandruff free.

I do drink a ton of water though and that's supposedly very good for your hair. We'll see, I hope it stays this way!

I have a short, layered hairstyle. While I do have a *ton* of hair, it is very fine and soft. So, in order for it to do anything, I use two different styling products when my hair is damp and then I use a sticky pomade and hairspray after styling.

I would love to not do my hair everyday, but with all that "product" in my hair, I have to. When I wake up in the morning it is standing straight up and won't do a thing. Plus, if I happen to exercise the night before, my head sweats and the whole thing gets very sticky. My hairstylist has told me I shouldn't wash everyday but I've never been able to manage without doing so.

We must be sisters!! I wake up looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket.

I wash mine every day, too ... I have a bob and while I CAN go w/o washing it daily it makes me feel fresher.

I use to wash and condition daily until my hair stylist yelled at me for doing so saying it's going to ruin my hair. So I wash/condition it every other day. I must admit it does really feel softer and healthier.

Every other day. My hair actually looks better the second day of non=washing.

Everyday, shampoo and condition, but I just lather once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter