How necessary are restaurant reservations, really?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
We're going for week in early June. I intend on getting reservations for the Blue Bayou Fantasmic package, the WoC desert party, and maybe doing Goofy's Kitchen for dinner the day we arrive (it's a non-park day so I thought it would be a fun way to get a taste of Disney - literally - before our first park experience the next day), so we will have reservations for those.

But beyond that, I just don't feel like trying to figure out where and when we want to eat each day. We are WDW vets and I'm looking forward to the less structured flow of things at DLR. No interest in doing some of the premium locations like Napa Rose, Cathay Circle, or Steak House 55 or any other character meals. Also no interest in Oga's since it's mostly drinks. So, are we good just winging it and either just getting reservations once we are there or trying to walk up, or do I need to sit down and figure out which restaurant for which meal on what day?

Most of the time you can get in to sit down places like Carnation Café or River Belle if your willing to wait long enough. The key is that it may not be a time that you want to eat. Dining reservations open 60 days in advance but you can usually still get a reservation a week or 2 in advance.

We're going for week in early June. I intend on getting reservations for the Blue Bayou Fantasmic package, the WoC desert party, and maybe doing Goofy's Kitchen for dinner the day we arrive (it's a non-park day so I thought it would be a fun way to get a taste of Disney - literally - before our first park experience the next day), so we will have reservations for those.

But beyond that, I just don't feel like trying to figure out where and when we want to eat each day. We are WDW vets and I'm looking forward to the less structured flow of things at DLR. No interest in doing some of the premium locations like Napa Rose, Cathay Circle, or Steak House 55 or any other character meals. Also no interest in Oga's since it's mostly drinks. So, are we good just winging it and either just getting reservations once we are there or trying to walk up, or do I need to sit down and figure out which restaurant for which meal on what day?
Your title is unusual in that it implies most folks say reservations are necessary at DLR. But in my experience they don't say that.

This post may help: "What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

:wizard:

There are plenty of counter service places with good food across both parks, and you are getting the reservations for the places you need. Go with the flow and enjoy! :)

There are plenty of counter service places with good food across both parks, and you are getting the reservations for the places you need. Go with the flow and enjoy! :)

Yes, we're for sure doing more counter service than we do in WDW, but I also figure we'll want to do at least a couple more table service than just BB and Goofy's Kitchen. I really don't want to do much more advance dining planing than what we already have but I don't want to be forced to eat counter service the rest of the trip either, because all the restaurants are booked up.

I always make one or two reservations for places I know I want to eat at but other than that we just go with the flow. Most of the places we want to eat at are counter service and I don't miss having a sit down meal every day like I did at WDW. We have a list of places and specific foods we want to eat so when we get hungry we look at our list and see what's close by or catches our eye.

Agree with the sentiment above and your current plan - make reservations for the places you REALLY want. If you are good with counter service or can eat off peak times there are lots of good options and reservations are not necessary IMO

That sounds like a good selection of dining reservations.

We book Café Orleans for a lunch and Storytellers Café breakfast for the day we leave.

The other meals we the Disney mobile order app, Red Rose Tavern, Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, or Craftsman Grill at the Grand. Enjoy you trip! 🏰

I think if there’s a place you really want to eat you should make a reservation. I’ve always wanted to eat at Cafe Orleans but haven’t yet been able to get in without a reservation.

if you can eat at off times (like 11 or 2 for lunch) it can help.

that said, we have some excellent counter service at DL. The first (and only) time I went to WDW it was last minute so we couldn’t really get TS reservations. I was so let down by the lack of varied and/or healthier CS offerings, so many hamburgers and chicken fingers and fries. We are spoiled here at DL with our counter service.

I make sit down dinner reservations for every day of our trip. After eating QS and snacking all day, I like to have options for something different. Most TS restaurants have hour + long waits during dinner time especially if you are a larger party (we are 4). After a long day in the park, trying to get 4 ppl to agree on what they want to eat that isn't fast food and then finding something with soonish seating is stressful. I'd rather have the reservation, tell people where are going to eat and be able to rest our legs for the 45-1hr during that time. This became my m.o. after the first year we were there and couldn't find anywhere to eat and we were stuck with fast food again. It happened again recently, the first day we were there, I didn't make reservations because we wanted to try out Ballast Point and they weren't accepting them yet. They had a 70 minute wait and all the places around also had similar wait times including those at the Garden walk which we were considering. Luckily we got lucky at BP and were able to get in after about a 25 min wait..

You do need to book anything that you are sure that you want. Beyond that, there are many great choices for quick service. I often visit on the busier days and it is very rare that I can get a table service meal without a previous reservation.

I hear people say this too and then every single trip I see people turned away from Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe so I do not believe it. If you want TS make a reservation. If you don’t care if you get turned away don’t- but don’t expect them to get you in.

100% agree with this. Over our many trips over the last few years, I have seen both of these restaurants turn away walks every single time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter