How much longer did one parent

My dad died 5 years ago, he was 72. Quick and sudden.

My mom is still living, she is 78, but her memory since my dad died gets worse every day.

Never met my grandfathers. One died the year before I was born and the other was divorced from my grandmother and he was never around, even to see my mom and her brother. I was always jealous of others who had grandfathers. My kids had 2 but my FIL died the year before my dad so my youngest was 4 and 5 when they died.

My parents are both still alive - they're 74. As of a week ago they celebrated their 54th anniversary and 61 years as a couple. I feel blessed they are still together and healthy.

My mom's dad just passed a couple of years ago he was 98. He outlived my nana by 40 years.

I have a sort of sweet story about the passing of my dad's parents. My grandfather died very early in the morning (around 4 AM) in 1980. My grandma passed away 20 years to the day (almost to the hour) in 2000. On a weird note, when my grandpa passed he had three successive heart attacks and died each time but they revived him the first two times. Though I didn't know he was sick I woke that night three times - each time at the time he was having a heart attack.

My dad died when I was 8. I'm in my early fifties and my mom is still going strong - she's 87.

This Nov. 6th will be the 35th anniversary of my father's passing. Mom's 10th anniversary on Dec. 17th. Or 25 years between losing them both. 1 hero, and 1:angel: forever together...

Last edited:
My father died in 1970, less than a month before turning 53. My mother died in 2005; she was 76. She never remarried, but that's because she became a serious alcoholic who chose drinking over everything, even her children and grandkids.

My mum died last year on June 30, age 82. My dad died five months later on November 30th, three days before his 85th birthday. 2016 was a very tough year for me! (And this past August, my children's other grandmother passed away; she was 93.)

live after the other one died, if both your parents are alive then you won the lottery. :o

my mom lived 14 years after my dad died
Both still living. But they haven't lived together in 30 years. The outcome may be different if they lived together one day longer

My parents divorced in 1975. My Dad died in Sept 1999 at the age of 70. My Mom died 8 years later in Oct 2007 at 75. My sister (only sibling) died 8 years after that in Sept 2015 at 58. I realized the 8 years apart between deaths the other day and it freaked me out. Now, not only do I have to worry about cancer (Mom 2 times and sister 4 times and they both had breast cancer), I have to worry about not dying in September or October of 2023. (yes, it honestly scares me)

My best friend and Father passed away, my Mom passed away3 weeks and 6 days later
They could never be apart

My parents are still alive. Dad(80) has COPD. Mom (74) is in good health. They have been married almost 55 years.

My in-laws died 75 hours (yes hours) apart after being married for almost 56 years. FIL was 84 & MIL was 74.

My dad's mom lived to be almost 106. She outlived my grandfather by 45 years.

Interesting how many of you say your dad couldn't last without your mom. It is the opposite in my family. My mom is very dependent on my dad. My dad does almost everything. He grocery shops, my mom doesn't drive, She refuses to go to the doctor, but my dad is a doctor and can get her most of the meds she needs. She has really bad health.....COPD and several other things going on.

My DM first husband my DB father died at 23 in 1965.
My DF died in 1997 at 65.
Our DM died at 58 in 2000

Mother is 74, father is 73.
MIL is 72, FIL is 71.
They are still going strong, but health issues are cropping up. DH's bio-dad passed this year.
DH's paternal grandparents passed within days. His maternal grandmother is 95, her ex passed very young from lung cancer.
Both my grandmothers lived decades after their husbands passed .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter