How much extra $$ should I consider?

I think your snack budget of $50 for 14 days is waaay to low. Just the off chance you get 1 water/soda/milk in the park would be $3? Let alone a dolewhip, Mickey bar, popcorn...again even 1 per day would be quite a bit more.

Yeah, $3.57 a day is a little short. Especially with a 2 year old.
And if you have a flight delay, you maybe eating meals in an airport, that alone could easily be $50.
I also would also have enough available funds ( as credit on a credit card or cash) for 3 full fare air fares home in case of a flight issue where the airline won't rebook you at no cost.
I take $2,000 for a week at Disney for 4, so your $500 for 2 weeks seems a lot short. And if you bring too much money, it can always go back in the bank when you get home.

I've used DDP many times and never spent a dime extra and had tons of snacks left at the end (we bought stuff and took it home). There's so much food on the plan that we never wanted to snack.

Sounds like you've thought through tips well.

I'd plan more for laundry. Probably $30.

I'd budget maybe $100 for the unexpected. For example, I got a raging head cold once at Disney and needed medication they don't sell in the park. I had to special order it from a delivery pharmacy. I hadn't planned for that.

Thank you.

Seriously? $30 for laundry?? How often are we suppose to do?
When I go a week long vacation, I do them on my return. So I was just thinking 1-2 loads this time...

Yes, we have budgeted unexpected, but haven't wrote it down. :)

Yeah, $3.57 a day is a little short. Especially with a 2 year old.
And if you have a flight delay, you maybe eating meals in an airport, that alone could easily be $50.
I also would also have enough available funds ( as credit on a credit card or cash) for 3 full fare air fares home in case of a flight issue where the airline won't rebook you at no cost.
I take $2,000 for a week at Disney for 4, so your $500 for 2 weeks seems a lot short. And if you bring too much money, it can always go back in the bank when you get home.

In case of flight delay, we will use the lounge passes and we have trip cancellation/interruption insurance, so that are covered.

Do you spend all $2000 / week at Disney? Or you always have some left overs?

For me, we travel from Canada, so we don't want to exchange too much.

In case of flight delay, we will use the lounge passes and we have trip cancellation/interruption insurance, so that are covered.

Trip cancellation interruption insurance will reimburse you, but you have to pay it out of pocket and file a claim when you get home, a lot of folks seem to think the airline or hotel will directly bill the insurance.
I have never run out of money. Several hundred dollars of that is in Travelers Checks that I bought years ago and have kept as my emergency money for trips

You still need to pay OOP to switch flights, if needed, even with insurance.

Trip cancellation interruption insurance will reimburse you, but you have to pay it out of pocket and file a claim when you get home, a lot of folks seem to think the airline or hotel will directly bill the insurance.
I have never run out of money. Several hundred dollars of that is in Travelers Checks that I bought years ago and have kept as my emergency money for trips

Yes. I know that. :)

I see. Thank you!

Yes. I know that. :)

I see. Thank you!

After 13 years on the DIS I just see too many people who max out their cash and credit cards to take a Disney trip and if that were me I would be worried about having a situation come up where I had to spend money I did not budget for.

I have only had an issue once, and that wasn't a vacation, that was a family emergency trip on Southwest Airlines which has trade agreements with no other airline. They cut me a check for what I paid them for the return flight home, and America WEst took that check, but I had to add cash since the fare was higher.

After 13 years on the DIS I just see too many people who max out their cash and credit cards to take a Disney trip and if that were me I would be worried about having a situation come up where I had to spend money I did not budget for.

I have only had an issue once, and that wasn't a vacation, that was a family emergency trip on Southwest Airlines which has trade agreements with no other airline. They cut me a check for what I paid them for the return flight home, and America WEst took that check, but I had to add cash since the fare was higher.

Oh people too?
We have so-called 'travel account', where we contribute certain $$ per year and try to stay within that budget as much as possible, but we certainly have some room to breach.

I see. Good to know! Thank you!

I didn't catch you say it but I always always bring detergent and fabric sheets from home (dollar store usually has mini Tide) because the Disney up charge is always very high. Also, I bring a roll or 2 of quarters from a bank at home because the machines are always broken or out of change

I have read my credit card policy and i don't think we have to pay OOP. But thank you for pointing it out!
Okay, I'm confused. Is your travel insurance through your credit card?

2 weeks with a 2.5 year old, you will need more that $50 for milk and other drinks. You may find that the water doesn't agree with their tummy and you have tonbuy bottled water.

You might need more than $5 for laundry

Thank you. I will budget $10.

I would budget $20. You are going for two weeks. Maybe even $30.

I personally like to over budget and have extra cash left.

I think that I paid $2/wash and $2/dry last time.

We just got back from POP and a load of laundry cost $7 all in (we did not bring our own soap). I'd figure out how many load you plan to do and budget $7 for each, if you won't be bringing your own soap. If you end up with a little extra cash, that's better than not having enough.

I didn't catch you say it but I always always bring detergent and fabric sheets from home (dollar store usually has mini Tide) because the Disney up charge is always very high. Also, I bring a roll or 2 of quarters from a bank at home because the machines are always broken or out of change

Oh yes. My colleague has told me that. I am definitely packing them up.
I live in Canada, so it's extremely hard to find US coins here. I think I might have to get them when we are at WDW.

Okay, I'm confused. Is your travel insurance through your credit card?

Yes. I know I have to pay OOP first and then get them reimbursed from the insurance company.
What I am trying to say is at the end of the day, I won't be paying anything extra after I get them reimbursed.

2 weeks with a 2.5 year old, you will need more that $50 for milk and other drinks. You may find that the water doesn't agree with their tummy and you have tonbuy bottled water.

Okay. I will keep that in mind.

We just got back from POP and a load of laundry cost $7 all in (we did not bring our own soap). I'd figure out how many load you plan to do and budget $7 for each, if you won't be bringing your own soap. If you end up with a little extra cash, that's better than not having enough.

Thank you. I am thinking of doing 1-2 loads.

Thank you all for your helps.

I have another question.
how much cash do I need? Can I use credit cards / magic band mainly?

I want to minimize the cash amount that I am bringing with me, use credit cards for the most transactions.
Which places have cash only?

Can I pay tips with credit cards?
How about milk/water from the gift shop?
I assume laundry is cash only?

THanks!

Hi,

Family of 3 (us and 2.5 y/o DD) are going Disney in December for 14 days.
Staying at the resort, using their transportation, and on a disney dining plan (DDP - 1 QS, 1 TS, 1 snack / person).
We're planning to pack breakfast and bring some snacks from home.

So here are extras that I can think of.

* Airport parking: $90 or Hotel the night before: $110 (includes breakfast)
* Tip: $200
* CRT: $76 (other half is using TS credit)
* Milk/extra snacks: $50
* Souvenirs (if any - we hate shopping and most of the Disney stuff, we'll get from home): $100
* Laundry: $5

Am I missing something?
Thanks!
I think you are budgeting way to little.

About doing laundry, you don't need coins. The machines all use credit cards.

I will be honest we don't spend much when we go to Disney. So except for your laundry budget I actually think you are fine.

Yes. I know I have to pay OOP first and then get them reimbursed from the insurance company.
What I am trying to say is at the end of the day, I won't be paying anything extra after I get them reimbursed.
My point was, there are some on these boards who post that they max out all their credit cards, so that they would't have the available credit to pay for emergency flights home OOP. In the end, it would be a wash with travel insurance, assuming what happened was covered. But you have to have the cash or credit upfront.

Thank you all for your helps.

I have another question.
how much cash do I need? Can I use credit cards / magic band mainly?

I want to minimize the cash amount that I am bringing with me, use credit cards for the most transactions.
Which places have cash only?

Can I pay tips with credit cards?
How about milk/water from the gift shop?
I assume laundry is cash only?

THanks!

I was able to use my magic band for all purchases at the hotel and in the parks. The laundry machines do not take cash, it is credit card only and they do not take American Express. The cost was $3 for a wash, $3 for 60 minutes on the dryer, and $1 for detergent. I brought a small bottle of tide with softener that I bought at target for $3.

You can use your magic band for tips at the restaurants. I only used cash when tipping the housekeeper, magic express driver, and bellhop.

I think you are budgeting way to little.

Thanks. I will revisit my plan.

About doing laundry, you don't need coins. The machines all use credit cards.

I will be honest we don't spend much when we go to Disney. So except for your laundry budget I actually think you are fine.

Thank you. I hope to stay under budget. So fingers crossed and hopefully our DDP works well!

I was able to use my magic band for all purchases at the hotel and in the parks. The laundry machines do not take cash, it is credit card only and they do not take American Express. The cost was $3 for a wash, $3 for 60 minutes on the dryer, and $1 for detergent. I brought a small bottle of tide with softener that I bought at target for $3.

You can use your magic band for tips at the restaurants. I only used cash when tipping the housekeeper, magic express driver, and bellhop.

Ah, thank you. I will just bring about $100 cash then.

My point was, there are some on these boards who post that they max out all their credit cards, so that they would't have the available credit to pay for emergency flights home OOP. In the end, it would be a wash with travel insurance, assuming what happened was covered. But you have to have the cash or credit upfront.

Hi tvguy,
Yes. I understood. :)
We never max out our credit cards. In fact, we only use a fraction of our credit (like 20%), so we should be okay. Thank you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter