How much do you tip on excursions?

How much do you tip cab drivers and tour guides on shore excursions?

It depends on how much they do for you, if its a small half day tour and little talk or background $1>$2 per person.

If its a full day tour and the guide gives you a lot of feedback, looks after you personally, say gives bottled water, takes you around historical places like Tulum, I tip more, and maybe on a percentage basis to the tour cost.

If its a private tour, ie van car, with us, I tip at least 10%.

When doing my budget, I figure (and could be I am wrong, I have no idea) 15% of the cost of the excursion and then add to it if we had a grand time or if the service was above and beyond. I will say on our last cruise we did two snorkeling excursions where the tour folks told us where the tip jar was and asked for tips. I had already planned on tipping but I got the impression some other folks felt bad that they didn't have any cash with them.

Cab drivers are another story - did I get there safely or are my knuckles white and my knees a knocking? I generally round up - but how far depends on the service and my perceived safety.

For a 4-5 hour excursion we usually give $20.00 for my wife and I. Again it really depends on your experience, some times I've felt that the trip was worth double what we paid, for this I will give a bit more.

I tend to base it on what they did. I tip higher on excursions that I booked privately--guess I figure that I've already paid for premium service on anything DCL booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter