How many years do you get out of a mattress?

I think mine is over 12 years old. But a new cooling mattress pad cover, cooling sheets/pillowcases and cooling pillows reinvigorated my sleep.

I hate pillow top and memory foam mattresses, but they are the norm and it's really hard to find a traditional mattress that we can afford. Here's my question: WHY can't you flip a pillow top or memory foam? I get that the top will compress, but is that actually bad? Is it impossible to sleep on the other side? Has anyone tried this?

Ours is 16yrs old, the other 4 beds in the house are around 7 yrs old. The original mattress factory is the brand/store.....a chain, but not sure if it's regional or nationwide. Very well made and comparatively inexpensive, at least they were when we bought ours. Ours are double sided, firm, traditional and we place memory foam toppers on them which get replaced about every 5 years or so. Still very comfortable with no indents and would not hesitate to purchase the exact same mattresses again. I'm small to average, DH is a larger man if that matters.

We bought one of memory foam mattresses from Sams Club. We've only had it for a year and a half and it has big dents. It only cost $600 so I'm not too surprised. Our next one is going to be a traditional spring mattress and I'm going to spend the actual $$$ because my back is killing me now.

I'm on my fourth memory foam topper. I have a futon which flips up into a couch and it's way too hard by itself. From my experience, it doesn't matter which brand or the price paid for memory foam, they all have lasted only one and a half years to two years. So, now I don't bother paying a lot for one. I'd rather spend $300 on a cheap topper, knowing I will be swapping it out every couple years, than paying $3000 like the OP and having that one "crater" or "sink hole" as I call it, in a few years. So, I probably pay around the same amount for the same 10 years.

It's ironic that all these memory foam toppers have a 10 year guarantee. Not sure what the guarantee actually covers? :confused3 These memory foam toppers don't don't rip or shred. And 5 minutes after getting out of bed, it puffs back up flat. So, maybe that's what's covered? As for CUSHIONING, how does one measure and effectively prove that? When the 3-inch topper is new and I'm laying on it, I can feel about 1-1/2" - 2" of cushioning underneath. After a year and a half, I feel the bed underneath and I'm sinking down to about the half inch of flattened foam material between me and the bed. But, who is going to stuff a memory foam topper into a box and try to prove in a letter it no longer has cushioning firmness?

Our mattress is a Stearns and Foster pillow top and is 11 years old. Still very happy with it. We rotate it regularly, cannot flip, but we don't seem to have issues. When we travel, we are always happy to return to our bed at the end :)

I hate pillow top and memory foam mattresses, but they are the norm and it's really hard to find a traditional mattress that we can afford. Here's my question: WHY can't you flip a pillow top or memory foam? I get that the top will compress, but is that actually bad? Is it impossible to sleep on the other side? Has anyone tried this?
I only know that our mattress (only able to sleep on one side) is due to the springs being on the "bottom" of the mattress with no padding over them.

@leebee. From our experience, the non-flippable mattresses can not be slept on the other side, no cushioning or anything. We have had Beautyrest Black, Stearns and Foster, Serta & Casper in our house. We have had memory foam, hybrid and coil, even the coil was non-flippable.

Oh yes, I have a story on this...

Three years ago, I noticed my mattress wasn't as comfortable as it used to be. I decided to flip it and took a look at the manufacture date.

When July 4 came around, there was a big sale at Macy's. I had just slept on a really good one at a Hilton in Columbus and did my research to see what they had. It was a Serta and I got a comparable model to what the hotel had at a good price.

Not sure if I'll go 23 years between replacement again, but I think that old one (a Sealy) was one we got our money's worth from...it was originally Grandma's, she didn't want it, put it on a guest bed, and then gave it to me when I swapped her a bed frame when I got a new apartment.

I only know that our mattress (only able to sleep on one side) is due to the springs being on the "bottom" of the mattress with no padding over them.
I hadn't purchased a mattress in years until I moved to NC 13 years ago. I didn't see the mattress when It was delivered and the bed and mattress was assembled. The following year I decided to flip it over, but there was no flip over. I believe that is known as planned obsolescence. What a rip off. turning over ones mattress was the same as rotating tires on your car. You do that to even the wear and make them last longer. I was one unhappy camper when I realized it.

I think we got ours when we moved to our first home in 2002. So, it is 22 years old? DH was, at that point, in a career where he helped manufacture the mattresses. So, we got an incredible deal on an incredible bed. We rotate it probably once a year? We are both bigger people - he is 6'6 and 300+ and it has never been an issue. We used to cosleep, so 4 of us in the bed, plus animals. Still is going strong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter