How many Mickey Mouse Costumes in Disney World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
My wife and I had another Disney World conversation over dinner tonight and an interesting question came up neither of us knew the answer to. Does anyone know or even guess at how many costumes of Mickey Mouse they have on Disney World property? Also, how do they clean the costumes? I would imagine that the cast members sweat quite a bit in the costumes and they must have a large assortment of costumes... Just curious...

Do you mean different outfits? I have seen him in the following:

Red chef coat (Chef Mickey)
White chef coat (ditto)
Normal Mickey attire (obviously)
Christmas (holiday) outfit
Sorcerer outfit (MGM)
Spacesuit (EPCOT)
Tropical shirt and Lei (Ohana)
Dinosaur shirt (AK Breakfastasaurous)
Hiking shorts and vest (AK parade)

I'm sure there are more....

Good answer to a different question - I did not know how many different types of costumes there are either - thanks for the info. However, the question I was really looking for is the total number of costumes they have in wardrobe that are of Mickey Mouse?

Any ideas?

I have a relative who used to work in the wardrobe dept. a long time ago. It was her job to spend all night fixing the costumes so they would be ready for the next day.

My bf and I have wondered- for Mickey's outfits- is each outfit an entire Mickey costume? Or do they have lots of regular Mickeys that they can put different outfits on? KWIM?

I asked on the KTTK tour how many outfits Mickey has-can't remember the exact number but it was in the region of 240! As for cleaning, did you ever see the Muppet special when they first went to WDW? They explored the park and Gonzo got down into the utilidors and found "Laundryland" It was so funny-and also what inspired me to do the KTTK tour! I used to have the show on video, but, alas,I taped over it by mistake. Have you noticed you can never buy stuff like that on DVD? :sad2:

Come one people. Don't you know that there's one Mickey? :teeth: ;)

I may be mistaken but, I think I read in a WDW trivia book that Mickey has 76 different types of costumes i.e., chef, cowboy, fireman etc., etc.
So they would have to have at least two or three of each costume between CM's and having them cleaned and or repaired. I would have to say in all there very well maybe over 200 costumes just for Mickey alone.

47! Just kidding, no clue. I do know that he changes a lot and seems to be everywhere. :)

I'm not sure of the total number of costumes but on the KTTK tour a few years age they mentioned that every cast member has 3 costumes available to them every day, 1 to wear, 1 if they have to change and 1 spare in case something happens to the spare. They also mentioned that if any character is left handed then all of the other CM's in that characters costume for the day will also be left handed. They don't want someone saying that Mickey signed with his right hand earlier and is now signing with his left hand.

My wife and I had another Disney World conversation over dinner tonight and an interesting question came up neither of us knew the answer to. Does anyone know or even guess at how many costumes of Mickey Mouse they have on Disney World property? Also, how do they clean the costumes? I would imagine that the cast members sweat quite a bit in the costumes and they must have a large assortment of costumes... Just curious...

I was wondering the same thing about the costumes, but as for the washing of them, they probably just put them in a industrial washing and drying machine, I was a mascot at my college and htat's all they did for our suit. And I would absolutely say Mickey Mouse probably has multiple of each suit he has maybe about 10 of each regular mickey mouse, etc. The only reason I say that is because other big colleges have about 7 suits for their mascots (so for instance Goldy Gopher from Minnesota has 7 Goldy suits because if you think of a football game at least, they do their push ups for each touchdown that's scored, and so Goldy actually switches out during one game so that one doesn't get injured. Plus the stadiums are huge so there are a few Goldys out at one time) I see it being the same with Disney, there are probably a few Mickey Mouses out at once since the people wouldn't see them all at once they would think there's only one mickey mouse. So think of each of the regular costumes that Mickey can be found in and thats a LOT of costumes. :) But I think it would be fun to know the exact amount...

I'm not sure of the total number of costumes but on the KTTK tour a few years age they mentioned that every cast member has 3 costumes available to them every day, 1 to wear, 1 if they have to change and 1 spare in case something happens to the spare. They also mentioned that if any character is left handed then all of the other CM's in that characters costume for the day will also be left handed. They don't want someone saying that Mickey signed with his right hand earlier and is now signing with his left hand.

None of this is true. The tour guide was misinformed. Characters are ambidextrous. They can write with whatever hand or paw they want whenever they want. They are super talented. ;)

None of this is true. None. Just because someone is a tour guide doesn't mean they know about all park ops. Hate to be the bearer of band news.

Not to be rude, but could you elaborate on how it is wrong? It would seem that if you know it's wrong, you might be able to tell us some correct info. Pretty please? :confused3

There are no "costumes"...Mickey just has different outfits. And he runs from park to park...and then to Disneyland...and then around the world...and onto the cruise ships!

:thumbsup2

:wizard:

Not to be rude, but could you elaborate on how it is wrong? It would seem that if you know it's wrong, you might be able to tell us some correct info. Pretty please? :confused3

No it's not rude.
I work in entertainment at wdw and I can't tell you anything except that there's only one Mickey. :)

I had Mickey and Minnie come to our wedding reception and when we were hiring them, the woman from Disney Entertainment emailed me photos of costume designs to choose from. There were 12 different tuxedo outfits and one holiday formal suit. Minnie had 5 different ball gowns to choose from and two different holiday dresses. That's just for weddings/formal events.

None of this is true. None. Just because someone is a tour guide doesn't mean they know about all park ops. Hate to be the bearer of band news.

And I hate to tell you but the KTTK tour guides are some of the best educated CM on property when it comes to Disney (especially parks) operations; at least the CMs that interact with guests verbally and directly.

If they said it, it's either:

1) True.
2) or an honest mistake.

These CMs are explicitly trained to not "guess" or to try to BS guests with answers that may sound right. They are told to say they don't know if they truly don't know and that they will try to get an answer before (or AFTER) the tour is over if the guest really wants an answer.

There are a lot of people that take the KTTK tour that are Disneyphiles and know Disney inside and out. The last thing they want to have happen to a Guide is to have them called out and rightly so for giving incorrect information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter