• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

How many Disney vacations.....

We usually go once per year. We go in December. This year going for 6 nights with dining, park hoppers, and transportation for 2 adults, 2 kids ($1700).

We then go on another family vacation in the summer. Except last summer because it was our 10 year anny we went to Costa Rica without kids for 2 weeks.

This summer we think we are going to DC.

We have been going to Disney World since 2000, when my son turned 2 yrs old.. We bought into DVC and have had annual passes since he was 2 1/2.. Since then we have been 5 to 6 times a year. Sometimes we go for short trips (a week) and others could be a long trip (The longest I've been is 19 days) We don't eat at Disney which saves enough money to rent a car for a week or two. We don't buy much at disney, unless it is a must have. Most of my savings for the year goes towards airfare and a car at Disney. I pay for passes ($1200.00) for the first trip only and after that I only have to pay for a car ($150.00-$300.00) depending on how long we stay and airfare for 3 roundtrip depends on the deal that I can come across ($350.00) is the highest I've ever paid on airfare for 3 people. Don't wait to long if your gonna buy into DVC.. It sure is worth the money...

We've gone just about every year in the last 16 years and I wouldn't want to go more often. We take a lot of smaller trips when we can too. We go to places like San Antonio, the Ozarks and anywhere else that looks interesting and is affordable.

One planned (mandatory! :laughing:) week per year in a Disney resort. Last two stays were in deluxe but our upcoming trip in Jan will be our first in a moderate, POFQ. So excited for it!

We're thinking of renting points to do a long weekend at BLT, since we love the look of it and the location, and as we were extremely unimpressed with WLV and SSR, we're just really hoping to find a DVC resort we enjoy since we have two family members who are members! But BLT is really more up our style alley.

We're also having an Escape wedding at Disney in October 2010, and we're still undecided on which resort to stay at. Contemporary because we LOVE it, GF because it's where our wedding is at, or Poly because it'll be like a Hawaiian+WDW honeymoon in one! :rotfl2:

As for day trips, we've hit the parks about 32 times in the past year. It never gets old.

Our first trip was in 2007, and we're going for our 3rd in Nov. This year was 2 trips (Feb and Nov, about $1500 each trip for DD and me). My plan is to start going to Disney once per year in the fall/winter, and then a beach vacation in the summer. DH doesn't like Disney, but he loves the beach, so all the bases are covered. I do enjoy travelling to new places, so hopefully our beach trips will start to vary some. But DH is a terrible traveller and really just prefers to be at home. I don't let that stop me! I'm always open to a trip elsewhere with friends/family, but right now while DD is still little and we love it so much, we will spend our precious vaca time/money at WDW. We might try a Disney cruise in 2011. :cloud9:

We go to Disney as much as our jobs will allow us to. We've take a few extended weekends (like the one coming up) and then 2 full weeks per year.

We buy APs each year at the DVC rate, we use our points during the week for 1-2 bdrm villas and pay cash on the weekends with our AP rates. We usually do the regular dining plan and we always fly. Depending on how long we go, the costs change. For this 5 day weekend trip, it only cost us $700 because we just had to pay for food and flights. :thumbsup2

Our biggest expense= 1x per year are the APs (about $1300 I think). After that it's just flights (usually $550 for the 3 of us---$430 with a good deal) and food ($70-$90 per day depending on which ddp we choose for 2As and 1C)

There have been many times we found out we had a long weekend coming and we planned a trip last minute (2 weeks out). This weekend's trip was confirmed on Oct 2, I believe. Our jobs force us to work hard and long hours...when we get the time, we play hard :rotfl:

2 6day trips each year & 1 3day weekend adults trip each year (DVC)

1st trip usually runs:
$700 airfare
$1200 annual passes
$500 food & spending money
2400 total

2nd trip usually runs
$700 airfare
$500 food & spending money
1200 total

Weekend "adults only" trip usually runs
$350 airfare
$250 food & spending money
600 total

So we average about $1400 per trip staying in Deluxe accomodations:thumbsup2

DVC is the BEST purchase I've ever made.:love:

you and I know how to do it right!!! :goodvibes I agree about the DVC purchase!! At one point, I've regretted purchasing my home, I've regretting purchasing every car I've had, and I've even regretted purchasing a $1 pair of earrings, BUT at NO time have I ever regretted becoming a DVC member!! I just wish I would've done it during our first trip in 2005 and saved the $6000 we dropped in 2006 staying in a 1bdrm at OKW with cash! :scared1:

Since I don't have to factor in transportation (it's actually closer to home to go to Disney than to go to work) I can usually get 3 or 4 10 day trips in per year, depending on the discounts I can book. I try to keep the room cost below $200 per night, budget about $25 per day for food, and then a little spending money for housekeeping tips and stuff. Usually about $2500 or less per trip. If the budget is a little lean, I stay value or mod, and if I can afford more, I'll stay deluxe or DVC.

I've thought about buying into DVC, but the points needed for 40-50 nights per year are a little out of budget. I'll just go as I can afford. At least there's always day trips if nothing else!

I do try to go somewhere other than Disney about every second or third year. I like going to the mountains (Smokies or Rockies), and when the dollar is stronger, I like Europe as well. But those trips typically cost as much or most times more than the Disney trips.

I usually plan at least 2 trips per year (thanks to DVC). If it weren't for DVC -we probably couldn't afford one trip per year (it would be more like one trip every five years or so). Anyway, since we don't need a lot of souveniers or stuff like that, we usually budget for food (dining plan), gas for the car (yep we drive) and money for boarding the pets (that's the most expensive).

DH & I talk about when we want to go and make plans then he's great at squirrelling away money so he's in charge of that so we can make our dreams of going to WDW a reality.

DH doesn't travel much, but he enjoys Disney. I on the other hand go with a friend on weekend trips every now and again. This year as been a traveling year...Disney last May, Tennessee last August, Disney again a few weeks ago, and my next trip - 3 days in NYC this December. Can't wait!

And I just booked our next Disney trip - we'll be there 4/11-17/2010 just in time to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary!:cool1:

We've been going 5-7 times/year since 2002 which is also when we bought in to DVC. We buy APs for 2 adults and a child which is just over $1000 with the DVC discount this year, we buy the Tables in Wonderland (I hate that name, formerly Disney Dining Experience) card $75/year but gives THE best dining discount in Disney (20% off food AND alcohol at mostly TS restaurants.)

Our dues on 230 BCV + 70 OKW points is about $1400'ish. We live near Savannah, Ga so it's about a 4 hour drive as far as gas goes, about a tank there and another back. After all the once/yearly's we basically only pay for food while there which we try to optimize on the 20% discount with the TIW card if we are going to sit down and eat or the 10% AP or DVC discounts at other places.

We take a lot of 3-4 day weekend trips but we go Sun-Fri every June and stay in a 2 bedroom. We take food and eat breakfast in the room like pop tarts and cereal and a few days we cook eggs, bacon, toast, etc on the longer trip. This July we did our longest trip, 8 days, and I worked from the room since I can work anywhere now that has internet and DVC members have free internet now. Trip report and video on my site in signature.

DVC (and living driving distance) makes it easy to do lots of trips. It also changes the face of the trip from X days as park commando to more leisurely trips doing whatever we can accomplish without killing ourselves. If we don't get to it this time, no biggie, we'll hit it in 2 months. I joke sometimes that DVC is a gateway drug. DVC leads to APs. The AP is the only way to get the TIW card if you aren't a FL resident. The AP will lead to getting cash discounts on rooms as well if there are some good discount codes and you don't want to waste DVC points or you are short on points and REALLY need a Disney fix.

So on average I think we spend roughly $600-800 per trip and we stay in REALLY nice rooms compared to AS or POP or even the moderates and for the most part stay at OKW which has HUGE rooms. Of that $600-800 only a small portion of it is out of pocket money on the trip which is just food and gas which is the only real variable is how we eat and I guess gas prices. Everything else is a fixed cost. We bought our DVC outright so there is no loan payment or finance charges (thank you Dave Ramsey.) It gives us lots of trips, lots of discounts and options, and I think we do it all for a lot cheaper than what you could paying cash and do it in more enjoyable locations than off site or value/moderate resorts.

Oh, and the best part is, we bought at BCV for $80/point in 02. A quick look at one of our forum sponsor's site, the Timeshare Store, will show you that BCV resales are going for up to $94/point so if I decided today I was sick of Disney, I could sell it for more than I paid plus have had 7+ years of great trips that I couldn't begin to price if I had paid cash for it. The even better part of it is, I think BLT will be as desirable to own as BCV so we all have an opportunity to get in to it now and it will likely go up in value, do not think of DVC as an "investment" though, people that bought into other resorts are not going to see this type of benefit, SSR is just not as desirable as BCV and their resale values reflect that now. SSR owners paid a lot more per point for something that is now selling resale for at best $75/point. BLT has the lowest dues as well, now is the time to get in. We did back in July when they had an awesome discount and we paid $95/point and there is a resale right now at $105 so again I could dump it for more than what I paid although I think it will go up even more a sit sells out which won't take near as long as an SSR where they are still trying to sell them since it's so huge. Better call this week too before the price increase Sunday!!!

We (2 adults 1jr and 1 child) usually do Disney once a year, probably spend $1500 and stay off property. However this year we camped at Fort Wilderness for 10 days and spent about $3500. We usually do a long weekend at the beach and then maybe a long weekend to Gatlinburg and then do several weekend camping trips. Just curious as to how many times people do Disney in a year. Do you ever get tired of it?

We go through swings. Right now we're happy going other places.

Since becoming dvc members 9 years ago, we've been going once a year. Generally that has been our big vacation with smaller trips to the beach & Washington dc on the weekends.

Lately with the cutbacks at Disney we've been sort of non commital about Disney, even my kids noticed some really bad meals so for the next few years we are going other places. We've got yellowstone next summer for the family and dh & I are heading to Paris for our anniversary. 2011 we'll probably due a cruise.
I love the Disney so I'm hoping by 2012 the economy will be better and things there will have rebounded.

We're not budget travelers so I won't tell you what we blow at disney. It's obscene.

We do WDW about every 3 years and normally spend around $4000-5000. This year we are staying 10 days so it more like $6000. On off years we camp with friends which ends up being only around $500-1000 for food and entertainment.

I just figured it out. From our First trip to our last trip, it has been 56 months. We have gone 7 times, which averages out to about every 8 months. Granted, one year we only went once, some years we went twice. Budget wise, our trips have ranged anywhere from $1500-3500. We drive so airfare is not included. However, that price does include gas to get there and back. Some years we stayed Deluxe, some years moderate. Our next trip isn't going to be until 2011, but it will also be a GG. We hope to stay in a Grand Villa at AKL. Even so, our portion of the trip shouldn't be more than $3500.

We live 5 hours away, so going is very easy. We go twice a year, one for a 2-4 day trip, and then the other is usally a 6-7 day trip. An example of our upcoming trip we are going for 3 days. First night is dinner at 1900 Park Fare, and an outdoor movie. Second day is Mini Golf, Boat trip (sea raycers) and MVMCP, and third day is Epcot with EMH. We are staying at PoP and upgraded the DDP for 1-TS 1-CS 1-S/per day. Our budget for this trip is $1,200, complete with gas, food and spending money. We take advantage of Fridge and Toaster swaps, and make breakfast in the room at least once during our stay. We usually don't spend the whole budget.

We stay at Values for our short trips, and usually stay at Moderates for the longer one, but our absolute favorite place to stay is the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Breakfast time in the cabin is so much fun, and we take our time getting ready, no to mention save almost $300 making our own breakfasts, and they are exactly what we want, and DS loves making Mickey Pancakes.

We usually double or x2.5 for the longer trip.

Great thread!

Before DVC- We (me, dw, and two boys) went once every two years, spent about $1500, stayed at the value resorts, and usually did a full week, with two days at Universal Studios.

Since DVC- We have gone at least once every year, this year we went THREE times, we stay at the DVC resorts (love them), and we usually do a week. Next year, we are planning two trips, beyond that, one trip per year.. we will be trying out Disney Land in Florida, and we hope to give Hawaii a visit in the not-to-distant future!!!

I do not forsee us getting "tired" of it anytime soon. Everyone in our family loves Disney, and we can't wait to get back!!!

My husband would never go for DVC memberships. That would be the same as saying that we'll be going to Disney a lot more often, which he would rather not do... but does anyway, b/c he enjoys it. He was born and raised in the south, but you'd never know it. I call him the "Reluctant Southerner". Well, when it comes to Disney, he loves it, but would never admit it. Getting DVC memberships would be admitting it. LOL

Oh well, his loss and his money. :)

When my photography business starts to pick up and more money starts coming in... know that I'll be able to do what I want a little more.

We have a camper so we stay at Fort Wilderness. Because of the cost savings, we have been able to buy APs and make 5 or 6 short trips a year. The kids were just the right ages to be thrilled to spend so much time at WDW. We are considering doing this for another year, but the kids are old enough that we are planning trips to other places as well.

Is this including flights and spending money or just booking the trip? My trip with flights cost about $2800 for 8 days in POFQ with park hopper tickets.

This is techinically our first trip to Disney. I went in 1982 when I was 10. I'd like to go back every few years if DH enjoys it enough this first time. Other than this, we usually take an "adult" vacation, just the two of us, somewhere at least once a year for a long weekend, usually Vegas or drive out to Deadwood...other than that, we camp a LOT in the summer months. Usually 6-8 times and with gas and campground fees it gets spendy. Then his two daughters come to visit for a bit in the summer and we usually try to plan a driving trip with them when they come. So we do spend a lot of vacations...not sure how much but enough...

One tip, if you're not married and have kids, you make a killing on taxes! We get about $11,000 between the two of us and that goes a long ways for vacations all year! :rotfl:

We try to go at least once a year, and have for the past 5 years or so. On two occasions, we did two trips in one year, including this year.

On average, we spend roughly $2500 total, and normally stay moderate or value. As we have driven the past two trips to save even more, we kind of negated that savings by extending our trips up to 11 days, and are planning our first visit to AKL next year. Considering the AKL stay, free dining included, is running us roughly $3500 for 11 days, 10 nights, with other expenses, I'm figuring a total of around 4K. A bit more than we are used to, but what the heck, you only live once right?! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter