How Long Will It Take to Collect All Pressed Pennies

AndreaO1983

Earning My Ears
There are 496 posts on this topic but after searching through 200 of them I was not able to find the answer to my question. I have mild OCD when it comes to collecting things. I was thinking about collecting the pressed pennies around Disney World. How long would it take to collect all of them? Is it possible to do in one trip? The idea of only getting a few of them, not all of them makes me panic a little just thinking about it.

There are 496 posts on this topic but after searching through 200 of them I was not able to find the answer to my question. I have mild OCD when it comes to collecting things. I was thinking about collecting the pressed pennies around Disney World. How long would it take to collect all of them? Is it possible to do in one trip? The idea of only getting a few of them, not all of them makes me panic a little just thinking about it.

It's probably possible however not all of them are just in the parks. They are the resorts, DTD and the parks. There are also some at Port Canaveral, the Water parks, ESPN and one of the miniature golf locations (I think it's Winter Wonderland)

Also, often some machines are broken or have been taken away temporarily for maintenance.

Check out a list here: http://www.presscoins.com/

Another thing to consider is that there are SO MANY of them, even if you could get to all the machines, it'd be a costly adventure.

Just adding up the coins available in the 4 parks, it's $185+. And I didn't even account for the quarter machines. That figure is just if each pressed coin cost 51 cents.

Then you factor in all the resorts, DTD, and the water parks, and any other places they exist.

It really does sound fun, but the cost alone and the time it would take to do it would personally, for me, prevent it from being something I'd want to do in one trip.

This site is actually what gave me the idea. If it's not possible to get them all, I may limit myself to certain collections.

It would be possible but over one trip, probably not. Even if you're willing to go to every location 1. Some locations you might not be able to visit (Water Parks if they are closed, ESPN if there are no sporting events at the time, Port Canaveral due to distance from WDW)

Also some machines break down or get taken away for maintenance.

This site is actually what gave me the idea. If it's not possible to get them all, I may limit myself to certain collections.

I like the idea to try for certain collections. Maybe just one park at a time? Or even just one land of a park (ex. all coins available in Fantasyland). Then maybe you'd get a sense of "closure" for that area.

I once calculated the total cost to get all of them. It was somewhere between $700 and $800.

I love the pressed pennies, but it's an ongoing collection for me. The thought of collecting them all in one visit is overwhelming! Maybe you'd like to download one of the checklists and start by collecting your favorite characters?

If you are looking to keeping track of Disneyland Pennies, I have a free app on the App Store you can download called PennyCollect.

If you truly have an issue with OCD about this I would not even start the process. Things go wrong-machines are broken or you may not be able to get to all the places you planned.

I love the pressed pennies and collect them whenever I see them. The last trip a couple of months ago I printed out the map of pennies, and I knew there was no way to get all of them. Besides the cost of all of them, they are all over, in the parks, resorts, DTD, etc. I decided to just grab them when I saw them. I got a lot, but no where near all of them I could. I decided I will just grab them as I can, and hopefully one day get as many as I can. :)

If you sincerely believe you'll be bothered by not getting ALL of them, definitely concentrate on a sub-set: all in one particular park, all of a certain character, ones nearest rides you actually went on, ones located in shops only, ones nearest every place you stop to eat, etc. it would have to be a pretty long trip to allow just the travel time to every resort, DTD, mini-golfs, parks, etc. not to mention actually doing a little something while you're there and if it's not a solo trip, the rest of your group willing to partake in Your quest!

That's a lot of change to carry around too! I'd pick a list and not try for all of them. There are simply too many for one trip. You'd miss out on everything else because you'd be spending all your time running from 1 machine to the next.

My ten year old son has been collecting them for a few years now and he loves doing it. We are always on the look out - but don't let it over run our trip. Between his pressed pennies, pin trading and Sorcerers of Magic Kingdom....we would never get on a ride if we let it get out of hand.

Side note - I understand your struggle with the OCD. I am right there with you. But this is one of those things that I have learned to just LET IT GO. :)

Have fun collecting!

On one trip I filled up two albums with them. It's very time-consuming, but lots of fun tracking them down!

If you ask the concierge at your resort, they can get a master checklist of all the machines. I had heard about this before so I asked when we were checking in. The lady working the counter said they didn't have such a list, but not long after we were unpacking in our room she came knocking on the door with the list! :thumbsup2

I don't drive my wife bonkers looking for the machines to fill up albums any more. Now I just get one penny on every trip that has the year on it - this machine is usually in the first store on the left on Main Street. It's the only one I've ever found that has a date on it.

In February I decided to start a collection, so I aimed to get all the countries in EPCOT. That was a reasonable goal, and ended up costing $6.12 (there are 11 countries, plus I got the one with Mickey that says EPCOT, surrounded by all the flags. They do have pennies for each country, but one (Japan maybe) was in the store by the international gateway, and the other (China?) was in the gift shop right at the entry to the world showcase. All other countries have machines in them.
You could also pick a character, say Mickey, and only get all the mickey pennies.
Good Luck!

I would be careful decided to collect a "set." There can be no rhyme or reason why a particular character is in a certain location. You could be spending a lot of time going all over WDW looking for the Seven Dwarfs (I think it was at the Poly that I saw Grumpy - completely random place for him to be).
The suggestion of tackling a certain area would be much better, so you aren't going out of your way to find them.

I would be careful decided to collect a "set." There can be no rhyme or reason why a particular character is in a certain location. You could be spending a lot of time going all over WDW looking for the Seven Dwarfs (I think it was at the Poly that I saw Grumpy - completely random place for him to be).

Yeah Disney is pretty sneaky about making some sets tough to collect. There were a few (like the Dwarfs) that were numbered to 7, so you figure 3 to a machine, but then there's that one extra penny hiding in a random resort somewhere.... :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter