How long should a MacBook Air last?

melk

DIS Veteran
My dd bought a MacBook Air in 2016 which she used for a couple of years for school. The other day it just died on her. Apple stores are closed of course but she she did call and they suggested taking it to a computer repair place. She did and they just called and said it would be $700 to fix the logic board.

She is just at a loss as to what to do. She doesn’t want to spend that much but the MacBook was a big investment for her. Does four years old seem soon for it to crap out or about right? I said I would ask here because I’ve always gotten solid advice on here and I have no idea about this.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Is it just not powering on...? Or it does but then wont ____?

If it won't turn on at all, try a different power cord if you have one available, and then try resetting the SMC:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
Reset SMC on other computers

If your Mac doesn't have the Apple T2 Security Chip, follow these steps.

Notebook computers with a nonremovable battery
This applies to all MacBook Air models, as well as MacBook and MacBook Pro models introduced in mid 2009 or later, excluding the MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009).
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of these keys:
    • Shift
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-shift-icon.png
      on the left side of your keyboard
    • Control
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-control-icon.png
    • Option (Alt)
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-option-icon.png
  3. While holding all three keys, press and hold the power button as well.
    Notebook keyboard with all 4 keys pressed
  4. Keep holding all four keys for 10 seconds.
  5. Release all keys, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

We have some that are much older than 4 years and some that didn’t make it to 4 years. No rhyme or reason.

We bought ours in Oct 2014 and its going strong.

But $700 seems like too much to put into it, given that brand new one is what, 1k?

We feel like it’s too much to put into it as well.

Is it just not powering on...? Or it does but then wont ____?

If it won't turn on at all, try a different power cord if you have one available, and then try resetting the SMC:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
Reset SMC on other computers

If your Mac doesn't have the Apple T2 Security Chip, follow these steps.

Notebook computers with a nonremovable battery
This applies to all MacBook Air models, as well as MacBook and MacBook Pro models introduced in mid 2009 or later, excluding the MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009).
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of these keys:
    • Shift
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-shift-icon.png
    • Control
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-control-icon.png
    • Option (Alt)
      macos-catalina-sidecar-sidebar-option-icon.png
  3. While holding all three keys, press and hold the power button as well.
    Notebook keyboard with all 4 keys pressed
  4. Keep holding all four keys for 10 seconds.
  5. Release all keys, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Thank you for this, but she said she tried it.

My dd doesn’t have an air but her MacBook Pro was bought in summer 2014 and is used for at least a few hours daily and it’s still going strong.

My dd doesn’t have an air but her MacBook Pro was bought in summer 2014 and is used for at least a few hours daily and it’s still going strong.
My daughter got 4 years from her MacBook Pro before it died.
She got 4 years from her second MacBook Pro before it died.

I wish I knew exactly what issues she had at the end with the operating system but in the course of 8 years of Mac use she went from Apple's biggest supporter to "I'll never own a Mac again". She built a screaming PC desktop.

I love my Iphone and Ipad but I just can't justify the cost of Mac computers. You can get so much more for your money and replace more often if you don't go Mac. I know that Mac is better for some students who are in some sort of graphic design or other major that is better supported by a Mac but if there isn't some specific reason she needs a Mac I would strongly urge her to consider a more reasonably priced computer to finish out school.

I know that Mac is better for some students who are in some sort of graphic design or other major that is better supported by a Mac but if there isn't some specific reason she needs a Mac I would strongly urge her to consider a more reasonably priced computer to finish out school.
Apple is big in educational graphics and educational video editing. They discount prices to schools.
But out in the real world, businesses expect discounts and Apple does not discount to businesses. So PC is the preferred platform these days.

The department that I worked in before my current one really loved Apple products. I will say, though, that they weren't really keen on the Macbook Air. It's the one that's supposed to be so much lighter, right? The problem with them is the insides are much more fragile. After killing a few Macbook Airs, they always made sure we bought Macbook Pro with solid state interior, much more heavy to carry around but much more durable.

Long time Mac user here. I'm sitting at my desk with a 2010 Mac Pro and a 2015 MacBook Pro. All of my Macs have lasted longer then 4 years, but things do break.

Part of what you found out is Laptops, more so then Desktops are prone to expensive problems. I'm also a fan of buying refurb Macs from Apple, they come looking brand new with warranty. Depending on which Air she has it might not cost much more to get a refurb, Apple MacBook Air Refurb

My MacBook air is pushing 10 years old. It has just needed a new battery and 2 new cords in that time frame. My Dell didn't even make it through college.

Is there something she can use in the meantime until the Apple store reopens? I honestly would have them look at it before either dropping that kind of money on it. Good luck to you and her.

Timely. My DDs MacBook died yesterday. We bought it as her HS graduation gift (she didn’t get until week before college started) and now she is less than a month from graduating, so it is not quite 4 years. She is very stressed out about it. It’s not the Air. Didn’t think it was a Pro. Is there an in between? She was required to have the Mac for her major and she has some projects she needs to finish. She called Apple and they said she could mail it to them. Not very helpful when she has work now. Hers is the screen. She was able to hook it to an external monitor and I think that is working for her for now. Not sure if she will pay to get if fixed or just get a new one. I think she would not get a Mac again though.

Consumer laptops last about 3 years. Business laptops last around 5 years. I just replaced the battery in my 5 year old Thinkpad. I’m looking at replacing next year after the Pandemic.

With Apple you pay business prices for consumer grade.

My Macbook Pro is going on 11 years old and still works very well.

The screen on dd's 2 year old Macbook died 2 weeks ago; we have Apple JV and I was able to set up a phone call with a 'genius' for the next day. For a $99.00 charge Apple sent us a box to put her computer in to send back to them (we received in 2 business days); as soon as I received the box I put her laptop in and took it to the FedEx depot. It was returned with a new screen in 3 business days. Super fast. She had her 'old' Macbook that she was able to use while waiting on the new one to be returned. Dh always buys the Apple warranty.

I don't necessarily trust computer repair places after I asked about possible repair costs for my old macbook when the screen stopped working. It was an approved seller and they said worst outcome if they had to replace the screen was £600, but when I asked in the actual apple store they said worst case scenario was £300, so half the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter