• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long before they stop letting people share?

I think this discussion is becoming ridiculous! What do people care if the table next to them is sharing a meal?
While I don't care, I do understand why many others would care. If sharing is something that the restaurant decides hurts it to allow more than it hurts it to prohibit, then they'll take action against it, and while such action is typically proportional to how widespread and exploitive they perceive it to be, as we've seen with many things, new rules/enforcement often necessarily casts a wider net than just the exploitive activity -- folks not engaging in that activity are adversely affected. So again, while I don't care (because I don't feel the risk is high or the ramifications would be bad), I understand why others could care, and respect their position as such.

I also think that if Disney stops allowing sharing, it may cut into their pockets a bit, because there seems to be many people doing that. Families may feel that it isn't as great of a deal for them anymore. Just a thought!:rolleyes1
Keep in mind that there are rumors out there that Disney is looking to address a problem that some guests have expressed about how crowded the restaurants are. Now, I don't buy that (because I think the goal of the restaurants is to be absolutely packed all the time) but again, I respect that some folks might believe that Disney is aimng to do thing to balance the load a bit, and increasing revenues from putting in place fees or rules related to sharing may more than make up for the lost revenues you allude to.

100% of say a $50 meal is more than 0% of a $75 one!
However, using your numbers, 100% of a $50 meal is less than 70% of a $75 one! So if the rules only dissuade 30% of the guests, then the restaurant comes out a winner, and so do the restaurant's guests, since the restaurants will be less crowded.

Do they require all kids to order off the kids' menu, not just those on the dining plan?
No. The requirement is to order what you've paid for, so for Dining Plan children, they are pre-paid, so have to order child meals. Other children can make either selection, paying the menu price for the one they select.

That only applies to non-Disney-owned restaurants.
I would be interested to read more on this please. :)
Disney grants participating restaurants owned by other companies a specific allocation per Dining Plan credit redeemed there, regardless of how much the guest is served.

A few restaurants, such as Le Cellier and CG (for Wishes) are booked and many guests can't get a reservation. I agree Disney's goal is to keep the restaurant packed. Once that goal is reached the next step is to maximize profits. Try to get each guest to spend more. Actually maximzing profits is the first goal but filling the seats is one way to accomplish that goal.

The question is how to put the 100% of a $50 meal customer in a less popular restaurant.

I may be sounding like a broken record but CRT is a great example of how Disney reacted to a crowded restaurant. I'm surprised Disney doesn't go to some type of Wishes dinner seating at CG and agree with your previous comments regarding an Illuminations dinner at the Rose and Crowne.

Now, I don't buy that (because I think the goal of the restaurants is to be absolutely packed all the time) but again, I respect that some folks might believe that Disney is aimng to do thing to balance the load a bit, and increasing revenues from putting in place fees or rules related to sharing may more than make up for the lost revenues you allude to.

However, using your numbers, 100% of a $50 meal is less than 70% of a $75 one! So if the rules only dissuade 30% of the guests, then the restaurant comes out a winner, and so do the restaurant's guests, since the restaurants will be less crowded.

I may be sounding like a broken record but CRT is a great example of how Disney reacted to a crowded restaurant. I'm surprised Disney doesn't go to some type of Wishes dinner seating at CG and agree with your previous comments regarding an Illuminations dinner at the Rose and Crowne.

CRT is not something a family probably does more than once on their vacation. Whereas, some of the places we eat at during our stay, we hit at least 4 times. I do understand the point you are try to make, but again, that was a Character meal to start with.

Disney grants participating restaurants owned by other companies a specific allocation per Dining Plan credit redeemed there, regardless of how much the guest is served.
I am just curious as to the different amounts paid to Disney vs non-Disney restaurants. :confused3

(Previous quote: That only applies to non-Disney-owned restaurants. Disney-owned restaurants don't get paid, as such, at least not in the same way.)

CRT is not something a family probably does more than once on their vacation. Whereas, some of the places we eat at during our stay, we hit at least 4 times. I do understand the point you are try to make, but again, that was a Character meal to start with.

I would think that you are probably the exception with regards to repeating at a TS place for a single vacation. I would guess that most people don't go to the same TS place more than once a vacation.

BTW while CRT for breakfast was a character meal prior to the changes lunch and dinner were normal meals. Actually the kids meal for dinner was a great deal. I think it was $4.95. Now they have gone in the opposite direction. I think it is probably one of the more expensive TS places for kids for dinner especially considering that it isn't a buffet and kids still order from a kids menu. Of course you know what they say... location, location, location. pirate:

I am just curious as to the different amounts paid to Disney vs non-Disney restaurants. :confused3

(Previous quote: That only applies to non-Disney-owned restaurants. Disney-owned restaurants don't get paid, as such, at least not in the same way.)

2006 non-Disney restaurants were paid around $26 for a TS meal.

CRT was not a character dinner, just a very popular meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter