• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How late can you be to an ADR?

And with Splash Mountain all bets are off. we have been stuck on it twice within the past year, once inside before the drop for like 15 minutes and our last time after the drop right by a water fall. We were stuck there for over five minutes and were drenched. nothing we could do to avoid it.

BTW, eating dinner at 5:10 is super early, could you push it to normal dinner time or are you an early eater as a rule?

What's a normal dinner time? I eat dinner anywhere between 5-8, depending on what I'm doing.

The ADR is BOG, which is kind of a different animal. While a late arrival might be taken lightly in many restaurants, I am not positive I would tell people that this restaurant will do the same.

This right here. BOG is a highly coveted ressie and I could definitely see that if you aren't there and a table opens up, someone's in it with no apologies from the CM's.

What's a normal dinner time? I eat dinner anywhere between 5-8, depending on what I'm doing.

This right here. BOG is a highly coveted ressie and I could definitely see that if you aren't there and a table opens up, someone's in it with no apologies from the CM's.

Just pointing out its super early, they may have wanted it, or not realized. I know for VA and a local place, I'll take what I can get:)

When I've done BOG, there have been empty tables, but that's been around 8 or so. I know the reservations are hard to get, but in actuality I've never seen it crowded for dinner. I've never had great luck for dinner there, but I'm excited to try breakfast though!

Regardless, I don't sweat ADRs at WDW, the OP may or may have my exerpience and lord knows, a pp is right about how long Splash can take!

Just pointing out its super early, they may have wanted it, or not realized. I know for VA and a local place, I'll take what I can get:)

When I've done BOG, there have been empty tables, but that's been around 8 or so. I know the reservations are hard to get, but in actuality I've never seen it crowded for dinner. I've never had great luck for dinner there, but I'm excited to try breakfast though!

Regardless, I don't sweat ADRs at WDW, the OP may or may have my exerpience and lord knows, a pp is right about how long Splash can take!

5 isn't super early in my book, but YMMV. Dinner reservations actually start at 4 (there's a 3:30 dinner ressie for Fantasmic this Friday) on the Disney site.

As for the FP so close to the ressie, I agree, something's gotta give there. Crowds are up. The FP+ is supposed to move quickly, but if by chance, you get stuck behind everyone else using their FP at the same time, you're gonna wait. I think at this point, it'd be better to take a chance on finding a different time for Splash then moving BOG.

As someone else said, who wants to go to dinner soaked.

30 something trips since 2003, I've never been early, ever. I'm also not usually more than 5 late, a couple of minutes, to maybe 15, you'll be fine.
There is no official grace period and in most cases you can be a few minutes late without a problem, but...it will be the castmembers at the restaurant who decide whether they will seat late arrivals or not so it is better to be on time or 5-10 minutes early. We were at a DW restaurant that was running far behind schedule so there was no grace period - any party that arrived late was not being seated that evening. On another occasion we were at BOG for dinner and the castmembers at the podium did point out to a couple that they were 15 minutes late for their reservation.

When I've done BOG, there have been empty tables, but that's been around 8 or so. I know the reservations are hard to get, but in actuality I've never seen it crowded for dinner.
BOG has more tables than the average TS restaurant because it's a Quick Service at breakfast and lunch when more items are prepared in advance so it can serve meals quickly to a large number of people. At dinner there are empty tables because the restaurant's capacity is based on the longer time it takes the kitchen to prepare and plate meals and still serve the guests in a timely manner.

Wow, thanks for all the opinions everyone! I know the situation isn't great--I am trying to move the FP, but no luck so far. And to the poster who asked, 5:10 is definitely on the early side, but it's the only time I've been able to snag so far. I've got the touring plans reservation finder going, but it hasn't found anything for me yet.

I've been 45 min late to an ADR and they still took us. We did have to wait 10 minutes, but we got seated. I did call to say we were running late.

I was 30 minutes early for Mama Melrose due to rain and they made us wait 40 minutes PAST OUR ADR TIME. Never again will we dine there, the food was cold and unmemorable

We have gone to WDW many times over the past 15 years since we have been DVC members, and we have gone to BOG twice, once at lunch and once at dinner. When we had our lunch reservation, unlike any other reservation that I have had at any other restaurant, we were not allowed to wait near the restaurant when we arrived early for our reservation (about 40 minutes as I recall). We had to go wait elsewhere and were told to come back 10 minutes before our reservation time. At other restaurants at Disney, like Boma, to name one, in particular, we were given a pager and were able to go look at the animals until our table was available. Perhaps they don't have enough pagers at BOG if you arrive early. Then, after we checked in, we had to wait another 40 minutes or so to be seated. When we had our second reservation, they had changed to texting us on our phone to inform us when our table was ready. We arrived on time, not early. We checked in, and there was a terrible thunderstorm, so, they texted us to come wait inside instead of out in the storm. But, it still took a long time to be seated. With BOG, I wouldn't count on being permitted to be late, just based on my experiences trying to check in on time or early.

30 something trips since 2003, I've never been early, ever. I'm also not usually more than 5 late, a couple of minutes, to maybe 15, you'll be fine.
we were anywhere from 5-15 minutes late to a few of our ADRs and no one even batted an eyelash. There was not one second of hesitation. I just checked in and said I had a reservation for <lastname> and they found it and gave me a pager and that was it. One time was GG, the FP+ line on Soarin' was longer than anticipated and then we got out of there and the kid had to go to the bathroom. and when the kid has to go to the bathroom THE KID HAS TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. It would have been a miserable morning if we didn't make that hard left into the potty. And it wasn't a quickie IYKWIM. We were 15 minutes, maybe even closer to 20 minutes late. They did not say a word, just handed us a pager and sat us 5 minutes later, in the requested lower level booth table. You probably should not time it that tight on purpose but in my experience, Disney is not super eager to tick off a guest by giving away their ADR. I don't think they are sitting around ready to pounce on someone who is a few minutes late and give away their table either, though your table for 4 may go to a family with a later ADR who checked in earlier than you did. It kind of balances out a bit to a point. Not everyone is a super Disney planner and sometimes people get caught on things longer than they thought or on longer rides or rides break down. Also been going since 1998 and have been late plenty of times and never turned away. Of course I have never been to BoG so it might be different than everywhere else.

that said if the ride doesn't break down, if you are there and waiting at 4:30, it might all work out. it's a little tight for comfort but not downright impossible. If you can't move it, I'd give it a go... but then I like to live dangerously. Also depending on what your OTHER FP+ are, you might see if you have any flexibility to move THOSE around. I noticed that sometimes it's not that there is no other availability all day, it's just that other FP+ I am holding are interfering (sometimes by just a few minutes). Maybe someone who has tickets linked but no FP+ made yet would be willing to check the date for you if it's within 30 days. I have 2 passes linked to my party of 2 if it helps. PM me if you want me to check to see if anything is available all day.

Last edited:
For those posting their late arrival experiences, were they for BOG for a dinner hour ADR? It is one thing to say that it will be fine for 99% of the restaurants, but BOG is not in that category.

Yea, I don't particularly like the short time period either--I'm stalking the BOG page trying to get a later reservation! Here's hoping something comes through. :)

You'll be fine. You can check in for your FP 5 minutes early. If you do that you'll have 40 minutes to ride the ride and walk to BoG. Let's just say (for example) the maximum grace period is 15 minutes. That would then give you 55 minutes to ride the ride and walk to BoG. Plenty-O-time!

We get 5pm-ish ADRs because we have 2 little kids that need to go to bed around 7:30. So factor in leaving the park, getting back to the hotel, and at least minimal bedtime preparations... 5pm it is.

As for being late to ADRs, we have been as late as ~20-30 minutes to CRT dinner, but it was pretty clearly due to kid meltdowns/stalling and we had sent DH on ahead to let them know. They were super nice.

Totally depends on the restaurant and how busy it is. ...

Crystal Palace - we were early but they made us wait 5 mins
one of the Japanese restaurants in Epcot (forget which right now), we were 5 mins late to our ADR. We had to wait 40 minutes for a table.
Hollywood & Vine, we got there 20 minutes early, they seated us 20 minutes AFTER our ADR time

There is no official grace period. Other people's results are not an indicator of what will happen to you. It is all up to the restaurant at that time. They could seat you late no problem. They could make you wait. Or they could say you missed your time so you are out of luck AND still charge you a no show fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter