• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Kneeling Became a Protest Symbol

Stupid infighting like this is a huge problem that takes away from the real issue. Maybe take a deeper look withing yourself to see why, when we agreed on all major points, you felt you needed to derail the conversation. I am done participating in the diversion.
You can be done, that’s cool. But be clear, you did that when you came on more than halfway through a conversation and admonished us all for our behavior. Why not just add to the conversation that was being had?

And I am still having the conversation on the thread.

So why is it that some can’t take Kap at his word when he explains why he did what he did.
Might it be that they are inured to lies from leaders/mouthpieces of their movements. You know, “you can’t take what he says literally, you have to understand what he means.” They are used to interpreting rather than attending to the actual words.

ETA: I have seen plenty on social media and even our own awards show threads here, plenty of people say that actors/actresses need to stay in their own lanes and shouldn’t use the awards shows or red carpets for anything “political”.

This happens to lots of celebrities unfortunately . Kaepernick lost his job and was basically blackballed from the NFL, and the repugnant Laura Ingraham told Lebrun to "shut up and dribble" because he's a sportsman (but Drew Brees was welcome to give his opinion...but that's a whole other discussion!)
The Me Too movement seems to be empowering more women however, which is awesome

At risk of turning this thread into a whole other thing....

How does someone serving in Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc equate to them fighting for our rights of free speech, the right to kneel, etc.? (I say this a a daughter of man that served in Vietnam.) I get the intent behind those words but I really don't understand it. Fighting in most of these wars did nothing to further our rights, or to preserve them. To me those that served in the Revolutionary War and Civil war are the ones that can claim that that is what they served and fought for.

I am not asking to be flamed, nor am I asking to start an argument. I am genuinely curious.

Tangent accepted!

The specifics of the conflict they fought in aren't really important, IMO. They enlisted (or were drafted, during Vietnam) and took an oath to defend the freedoms and rights our nation stands for, and most that I've known personally feel very strongly about that oath and those freedoms. Where our politicians chose to send them, or whether those conflicts were in keeping with the better angels of our nation's collective vision, is almost irrelevant. The initial commitment was to the ideal, even if it was eventually tarnished by the realities of geo-politics.

Detroit has cheap seats for major league sporting events? Wow! 🙄

Well, "cheap" is relative... but the Tigers have been pretty bad over the last few years and attendance was in the toilet, so there are some legit deals to be had. We're actually quite fond of the cheap seats at Comerica Park - the regular price for the section we like is around $20, but I've gotten them as cheap as $13 during some of the recent desperation-promos over the last couple of seasons.

I don't troll. I'm just brutally honest and my personal opinions are set in stone. I don't buckle because my views aren't in line with the woke mob. I know we are in an age where not agreeing with someone gets you tagged as being evil. Oh well.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well sorry. If "Kap" said so then it must be the gospel. I'm sure he did not have any ulterior motives like trying to draw attention to himself personally.

Lets see. The two lovely ladies were not burning, defacing, laying on the flag, or kneeling. They were giving a thumbs up while wearing red white and blue bikinis with an actual U.S. flag behind them. Even the FBI could draw the conclusion that they were showing patriotism. I think the only other thing they could have been doing is having a marching band playing America the Beautiful while a bald eagle flew around them.

So the man taking the action to protest and stating his views behind his action should be viewed as suspect and definitely not taken as "gospel", yet the FBI could draw the conclusion of what two young women making a gesture in a photo were conveying?

If their intentions were so clear, pure and patriotic, why were you so desperate for them to jump up and down?

Thanks. I'm retiring from this thread. Lost interest. I encourage everyone to stop by the "Defunding the Police" thread to continue their education. LOL

People continue their education and gain more knowledge to what end in your mind? Should the gathering of new facts be considered in changing one's mind?
I thought your mind was set in stone, or concrete?

People continue their education and gain more knowledge to what end in your mind? Should the gathering of new facts be considered in changing one's mind?
I thought your mind was set in stone, or concrete?
Unfortunately, the PP does not believe in growth or change.

Apparently the symbol of freedom is more important than the actual freedom.
You're probably right. That's true of a lot of things. Just look at the run up to the Iraq war. People in the media who knew better helped cheer lead us into it. Because not looking like a wimp was more important to them than not being a wimp.

I think the example of the two girls illustrates perfectly what I mean when I say we the world sees us for what we do and not our inner selves and thoughts.

Anyone could have seen that photo and blushed, or stared, or had a million improper thoughts and that's an internal monologue and we'd never know. But to make a joke about them jumping up and down a bit is out loud, it is an action... and one that gives far too much insight into the thoughts of the poster.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

No, no. When there is the national anthem played at the Bulls games we go to, or to any other place where it is played, I stand tall with my right hand over my heart, hat off. If my grandkids are with me, and they forget, I remind them to do so also. However, just because I stand for the anthem, certainly does not mean somebody else who decides to kneel to bring attention to a cause, or for whatever reason, should not be allowed to do so. They are not, by kneeling, or whatever, disrespecting the flag. Not at all. I am exercising my right, they are also exercising theirs. If a person, ANY person, says it is disrespectful, they do not know what the Constitution says. We ALL, have our rights. And those rights do not state they one must stand during a national anthem.

The Bulls have been disrespecting the game of Basketball for years. That is way worse then someone kneeling.

After reading this whole thread through, it seems we once again have more wedges being fashioned about what is right in people's minds. I wouldn't be surprised many people's block lists grew exponentially after this year is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter