How Kneeling Became a Protest Symbol

the realities of this argument do not match the emotions.
Something tells me your emotions do not run high when a black guy gets tracked down and killed by the police or a vigilante. This is part of history, as old as centuries ago and as fresh as this week. And history tells us a different story than the one you are trying to paint. Four cops, handcuffed, and they still had to kneel on his neck. And they still didn't do CPR after finding no pulse. Plus the police report was falsified. So now you are asking folks who are in mourning to stand at attention while you wave a flag?

Yes, I stand at attention as I've done all my life, but I get why Colin Kaepernick doesn't.

Last edited:
That's not what I'm saying at all. I just don't believe that it should be required at a sporting event, and I don't believe that people who chose NOT to partake should be vilified. Do you get upset if the national anthem isn't played before a concert? Or a play? Do you clamor for the flag to be saluted when you're at the beach? So why is professional sports different?

Not to mention that a LOT of athletes are NOT American! If what occurred in the NFL happened in MLB, it would be bananas because close to 50% of some teams are comprised of athletes who are not were not born in the United States and have no ties to its national anthem. Yet they stand at attention for the pro-America performances forced upon them because if they didn't, they'd be vilified. Isn't that a little absurd?

If it happened in the NHL, everyone would learn the words to O Canada pretty quickly lol

I'd love to hear it explained, with coherent and consistent reasoning, why it is so absolutely unconscionable to kneel in protest. So far it's not been found among some of my own family and friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-censorshipOften a cultural thing.
https://rsf.org/en/ranking
Too proud for our own good sometimes if it makes us blind. Pride should be about self improvement.

Freedom of speech. I’m allowed to feel how I feel, just as you are. We’ll agree to disagree.

And that's the whole point. Literally no one is telling you that you can't feel that way, or stand, or salute, or put your hand over your heart or sing at the top of your voice. No one has told you that it is wrong, you however are trying to stop someone else from doing what they feel is right....and is their right.

It’s such a horrible thing to be proud of your country and want to salute our symbol of freedom. Shame on people like me.

This is where you’ve lost most people. As you said it’s a symbol of freedom! That freedom includes taking a knee. You can dislike it, but it doesn’t make it any more wrong than any other freedom. But also, understand that most of us are proud of our country AND theConstitutional rights that come with it. You don’t get to pick and choose which ones work for you.
“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Mediaafter Friday’s game.
Highlighted the wrong part of that quote. A flag. The county. The country and it’s allowance of racism is what he has problems with.

But where could he or any others, have protested with this message where you would have actually listened and taken action. See that’s the bigger problem to me - so many keep saying not time or place, but won’t actually ever offer what would have been better. And in most cases I think it’s because life would be easier for them if they never had to hear the message. Never had to do anything about it. And that is what privilege is.

Correct. It's not in the Constitution, even the US Code is guidance and not an enforceable law. However, it is disrespectful. It's disrespectful to every soldier and sailor who followed that flag into battle. It's disrespectful to every man and woman who died on a battlefield with that flag sewn on their uniform. Some see it different and disagree. That's fine.

People want to play on both sides of the fence. Chalk it up to the PC police or the cancel culture, no one wants to feel the wrath of this small segment of society because they do yell the loudest.

My husband's statement, years ago when they were working to make flag burning illegal, was that if they passed that law it would be time for him to get out of the army because he fought for freedom not fabric.

Again - you can do as you please. Never said you couldn’t. But your avatar does have to do with this conversation- it’s a contradiction to what you are pushing here. Just funny you should choose a flag as an avatar.

No it's not, at all.

Again, I’ll agree to disagree. Everyone is firm in their own belief. Enjoy your day everyone. See you on the other boards.

I’m sure he can speak for himself. And anyone who watched what happened on 9/11 knows damn well that what those firemen were doing was raising the flag for America and Americans. If he wanted to salute just the fireman, I’m sure he’d pick another picture. Come on.
Of course he can speak for himself. He hadn't responded yet. I listed several possibilities.

I do find it interesting that you attack me for answering, yet you can apparently read his mind remotely and "know" why he uses a specific avatar :confused3

But WHY do you stand?? Why do any American’s stand during the ‘flag salute?’ Not because we feel like it. It’s to Honor our military and our country. No, you don’t have to, but if you believe in WHY you SHOULD stand, then how can you say it’s ok to kneel? I just don’t get that part.
36 U.S. Code § 301

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter