• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

how is security at Disney Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were some reports maybe 15 years ago about groups of teens causing trouble around the AMC and West End. Security was increased and the issue was taken care of. It was blown way out of proportion in the news, so it could be vague recollections of this which caused the OP to ask the question. But even during that time I went to DTD (as it was then) and didn't feel unsafe.
Very recently, last year in fact, there were reports and arrests in rape cases at DTD. All in all I feel safe at DS but I always keep my guard up, just because it's Disney doesn't mean bad things can't happen. I have definitely seen an increase of very visible Disney security and the sheriff department with dogs and bikes.

I've never had an issue and we just went last month. I had my purse just carried normally on my shoulder as did my daughter and never felt anything amiss at all.

I am sorry but I have to comment. I live outside of Chicago and its no secret that we are consider the murder capital of the United States and still with all of that I don't feel a need to carry a gun when I go into the city. You have to be smart and aware. But I can't believe that you would consider Disney Springs to be similar to Atlanta or Chicago. It sounds like you are trying to get some emotions to boil over and begin a discussion on gun control. So sad.

I live on the north side of Chicago and I consider Disney World to feel about as safe as anywhere I ever go in this city. Our violence is substantially gang on gang violence and concentrated in specific neighborhoods. Which doesn't make it a good thing, but every single city--and suburb and rural area--is like that. @fbarker posting as if cities in America are somehow fundamentally different in terms of crime then anywhere else is not reality. My hometown, New York City, the largest city by far in this nation, is also about the safest place to be in the entire country with an amazingly low crime rate and murder rate compared to anywhere else in all 50 states.

Moreover, if you're found with a gun in Disney Springs you're going to get arrested, because you're not allowed to have a gun on Disney property. Which is where this discussion should have begun and ended.

It's also worth noting that Disneyland Resort just placed the entirety of the West Coast version of Downtown Disney inside the security zone by relocating all of the security tents from the ticket esplanade to the entrances to Downtown Disney from the hotels, sidewalks, and parking areas. Just because they haven't placed a security zone around Disney Springs (yet) doesn't mean that if you're caught with a gun there you're not going end up the lead story that night on WESH-TV--and likely hit with a lifetime ban. The policy is the same on both coasts.

Last edited:
Very recently, last year in fact, there were reports and arrests in rape cases at DTD. All in all I feel safe at DS but I always keep my guard up, just because it's Disney doesn't mean bad things can't happen. I have definitely seen an increase of very visible Disney security and the sheriff department with dogs and bikes.

Yes there was a reported rape in 2015 but none that have made the news since. Bad things happen at Disney but not to the point of not going or carrying a weapon on property.

Goodness I wonder how us UK'rs manage most of whom have never held or carried a gun in their lives and regularly visit many cities in the USA? I am sure that there are risks associated with DS as with everywhere else, but it never occurred to me that I wasn't safe there without a gun.

I always feel left out with all the people carrying AR-15's around these days.

:rolleyes1
(where's the sarcasm smilie??)

I lived in a great regentrifying area of Inman Park in ATL, and never felt unsafe in any part of town - I mean, what were the hipsters going to do? Blow hand rolled cigarette smoke in my face and maybe throw a PBR at me? Lol. I can't imagine carrying a gun in most public places, except Bogata or similar, and I've done a pretty deal of business in Mexico City and some places in Eastern Europe most Americans consider "scary." If you're not looking for trouble, I think you don't find it. Disney is probably the safest place on earth, unless you get sick on rides, but I don't think shooting the goat on BTMR will help with that:)

Not safe to go out at night in Atlanta without a concealed carry license? If that is the case then it's time to move. That's just scary.
I would hope nobody would bring their gun to Disney World. You don't need it, and nobody needs to get scared.

Don't listen to them OP. This is how I shop at DS. You can never be too safe.

Fully-Armed-892.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter