How I spend money....Disney and "normal life"

LOL, that's a good one! I was in line at Meijer buying groceries and a gift card (and get rewards for it). The cashier asked what I was up to, I guess not many people buy $500 Disney gift cards at the grocery store so they're always interested and fascinated. The guy behind me in line was fascinated and asking questions...then started joking about I must be rich. Nope, look at all the sale and clearance stuff in my cart, just trying to save as much as I can so we can afford awesome vacations.

LOL, that's a good one! I was in line at Meijer buying groceries and a gift card (and get rewards for it). The cashier asked what I was up to, I guess not many people buy $500 Disney gift cards at the grocery store so they're always interested and fascinated. The guy behind me in line was fascinated and asking questions...then started joking about I must be rich. Nope, look at all the sale and clearance stuff in my cart, just trying to save as much as I can so we can afford awesome vacations.
I had a similar experience purchasing a $500 Disney gift card in a supermarket (using a credit card for cash back rewards). I guess the cashier thought I was buying it as a gift because she said "Wow, I want to be your friend!" I just said, "Just saving money where I can!" as I left lol.

Oh this is so good! I'm really thrifty in my everyday life and rarely go out (I've got most of my entertainment at home, I'm a bookworm) but when I went to Disney World last year, I'd saved up so much for so long that I knew I'd never spend my daily budget so I didn't even look at the prices at restaurants and just ordered based on preference, which was an incredible luxury. Now I'm spoiled and I only want to go if I can stop thinking about money the entire time I'm there (so I need a lot of money set aside!)

I make a good living, but we live in a a modest house and drive modest cars. The one place we completely splurge is vacation. We were poor for so many years in school and law school, that I have an aversion to penny pinching on vacation. I know it is a a luxury that not everyone has, so I don't take it for granted.

Yup. Don't go out to eat, shop at Aldi, clip coupons/sales for other groceries, plan WAAAAY in advance, etc.
We have a single income household, so we pinch so much to save that when it's time to fling that money at Disney, we have difficulties letting it go :rotfl:

I just texted this photo to my husband and he literally groaned. :) To be fair, I have talked him into a lot vacay-wise!

Me too, but I just keep reminding him that it's not like he doesn't enjoy the trips and certainly doesn't complain when he gets on the ship!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter