• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How have your kids embarrassed you at WDW?

My DGS, 5 at the time, we were eating at 1900 Park Fare and Cinderella came over for
pictures and asked my DGS to dance and he told her, NO.. I almost died....when I asked
him why, he said, I didn't want to...I wanted to add his picture to the one I have of
his sister dancing with Prince Charming. Then, the same dinner, Lady Tremaine came over, and
Cole hid behind my chair and put his head down and wouldn't even look at her, even when she
came over to him... He called her Cupcake head... Yep, Cupcake head...

My oldest daughter was chatting with one of the CM life guards at WL while bobbing around in the pool. She was talking up her level of swimming and how good she was. The then attempted to do a back flip and chugged a bunch of pool water in the process... She then "spilled" her lunch in the pool from gagging so much, prompting an emptying of the pool... As she was getting out and I was apologizing to everyone in and around the pool she proclaims... at least I didn't pee... Oh yea, proud parent moment right there.

The 2 things that stick out the most both happened on the same trip.
My son was a few weeks shy of his 2nd birthday. He had potty trained himself at 20 months so one day we were walking into our room at GF and DD7 said she had to go potty. An argument over who would go first started.
DS ran towards the bathroom and I heard the door shut. I went over to help him and he was standing outside the bathroom but had locked the door. He said "now Rachael can't go first!" We had to call the front desk so they could open the door for us. They thought it was hysterical.

Same trip, my DH poured a little water in a glass and gave it to DS. When he was done with it, he tried to put it in the sink. He was too little to reach so he threw the glass in. It shattered. I made him apologize at the front desk.
They laughed too.

One year, our dd was 4, we had just finished our first meal of the trip at crystal palace. The kids were begging to ride something so we hopped on small world. We did a potty check before we ever got in line. Everyone said they were good. Around Africa, our older dd started doing the potty squirm. We tried explaining that there was no way off this ride and she was going to have to hold it. She made it to the white room, which was backed up, full of boats.

I'm sure everyone in the room was delighted they were not in our boat after she announced "I don't have to go potty anymore!"

Did you know there are channels in the bottom of the small world seats?? Yep. They let all fluids to spread towards both ends of the bench.

We dutifully informed the cm, apologizing profusely and offering to clean it up. They didn't let us and all we could do was wrap her up in my husband's rain coat and take the bus back to pop.

The first time we traveled with our oldest and at the time only son, he was about 15 months old. We were eating a beautiful lunch at Coral Reef, when all of a sudden we heard our son have an 'explosive mess.' I went to pick him up to see it was everywhere - him and the highchair. I had to carry him in front of me, arms out, headed towards the restroom. (I am still sooo sorry for anyone we may have passed along our way) :crazy2: Once we reached the restroom there was actually a CM cleaning. She said she'd close the restroom so I could clean him up in peace. Needless to say he took a bath in the sink and I used a whole box of wipes. Meantime, my husband had packed up our lunch and paid the check. There was nothing magical about that afternoon and neither of us had an appetite after. Our son was perfectly fine after of course, we on the other hand were a bit embarrassed and traumatized over the ordeal. :scared:

The first time we traveled with our oldest and at the time only son, he was about 15 months old. We were eating a beautiful lunch at Coral Reef, when all of a sudden we heard our son have an 'explosive mess.' I went to pick him up to see it was everywhere - him and the highchair. I had to carry him in front of me, arms out, headed towards the restroom. (I am still sooo sorry for anyone we may have passed along our way) :crazy2: Once we reached the restroom there was actually a CM cleaning. She said she'd close the restroom so I could clean him up in peace. Needless to say he took a bath in the sink and I used a whole box of wipes. Meantime, my husband had packed up our lunch and paid the check. There was nothing magical about that afternoon and neither of us had an appetite after. Our son was perfectly fine after of course, we on the other hand were a bit embarrassed and traumatized over the ordeal. :scared:

Oh wow, that's rough! I was sooo glad when my kids got past the "explosive" age! You have, however, made me very happy that I can officially say a bathroom has never been completely shut down for us! :P Now that I've said that, wait for my retraction next week.

Our first trip last year we were having a rest time in the mid afternoon. My daughter starts freaking out that she swallowed a penny. Guess we just have to wait for it to pass, yay. Fast forward a couple hours I can't get her coughing under control, her albuterol isn't working (she has asthma). This prompts a 2 am ER visit for x-rays to make sure said penny isn't stuck in her airway somewhere. Penny was no where to be seen on x-ray, we never actually swallowed it.
This year my son is the trouble maker, at 18 months old he was a handful. He was having breathing issues so we were doing albuterol nebs every 4 hours around the clock. So he's mister independent wants to run every where and hyped up on albuterol. There we were sitting through the frozen show and he insists on pulling the hair of the little girl in front of us repeatedly. I tried to catch him before he did but he got a couple good tugs in. The girl and her mom were not amused. (I understood) At the end of the show I gave her a bunch of dum dums and a huge apology. We ended up leaving the park for a couple hours after this.
The kids doctors recommends we don't go to Disneyworld anymore as they both tend to have breathing issues there :)

Our last trip my oldest son was almost 5 and WAY over stimulated so there were a few rough moments. He had a mega meltdown while standing in line for the Ariel's grotto ride. I honestly don't even remember what he was mad about, only that he was completely freaking out. It was a super long line and my husband finally had to take him out one of the hidden exits while my son screamed his head off. The cast member who helped them find their way out asked if my son was on the autism spectrum. He was actually diagnosed with it the following year. Like you said, OP, I thought I was prepared for Disney but had no idea how my kids would do when hot, tired, overstimulated, and full of sugar. This time around, I plan to make use of the disability services.

My kids have pulled some interesting things over the years but are generally fairly well behaved there.

The one that stands out the most in my mind was from the trip a couple weeks ago. We were killing time at the benches outside of CRT waiting on our ADR time and my 9 year old ds rips a big one. The lady sitting a couple benches down from us was not thrilled at all - which sent me into a huge lecture on proper manners and how we should behave in public, etc. My ds leans in to me and is like "mom, I thought we were alone" lol. Yeah, son we were totally alone at 7pm in MK. LOL!

When my son was 5 we got on Its a Small World and just after taking off he leans over the side of the boat and throws up (explosively and honestly shocking quantities). It was right under the window for Pinocchios where people were eating. They had to briefly close the ride. I was mortified.

Wow this thread is great!

Well I didn't go to WDW until I was a tween (12 &13) but we still had loads of drama. My parents were divorced and we never spent more than 2-3 days with my father for years. The year before we had vacationed in Williamsburg and went to Busch Gardens for about 4 days. I didn't go on big coasters but had agreed to go on a crazy mouse type one to "try" them. Long story short he sat with me and the lap bar was no where near me and I almost fell out of the cart while the ride was going and then as my mother said he had "broke me" because as a child I would go on lots of adult rides at six flags but came back with a fear of everything including the once beloved log flume.

When we get to WDW the next year he expected me to be fine to go on everything because.... well he would only take us if I said I would :rolleyes1 We got there and he wanted to go on roller coasters first and I freaked. I started having "meltdowns" and my father started yelling in response which made it worse. Years later when I hit college I found out I had anxiety and my "meltdowns" were actually my first panic attacks. He yelled at me on and off during the trip over everything. I still remember sitting on a curb somewhere with lots of trees and him yelling "Stop crying, everyone is staring at us" and I yelled back sobbing "They're not staring because I'm crying they're staring because your yelling!" :rotfl2:

He also got mad because I was a Disney adult and he didn't want to share meals, but I couldn't finish the meals as they were so big. There was this infamous meal at an adult themed restaurant where he let me order off the dessert tray and I picked a chocolate Mrs. Potts. She was delicious and filled with a spectacular apricot creme. The thing was the size of a softball and it costs like $20 because it was meant as a multiple person desert. He had a fit that I wasn't finishing it and I seriously thought I was going to puke as I tried to eat more of it, including the actual chocolate shell that was the teapot, but just couldn't. My brother will still be like remember that time you ordered a chocolate teapot and Dad had an epic meltdown?

My poor brother bore the brunt of it too as he was stuck in the middle. To try to placate me he would send my brother on rides first so he could confirm to me it was not a scary ride. My brother went on POTC alone and came out to say it was just like Small World. Well we get on and there is that tiny first drop in the dark. I panicked and begin crying saying over and over, "you lied to me, you lied to me again, you always lie". I am so sorry to the other people in the boat.

The first trip we took our kids they were 16 months and 3 1/2. The first day was a lot of fun with Animal Kingdom and DTD. The next day we woke up early as I had made a PPO BBB appt. DD (3) was exhausted and crabby from the start. She ended up waking up and loving her makeover. But we went to CRT for breakfast right after and that's when the meltdowns came. She started crying her hair was tight and I was asking her to wait until after breakfast and we would fix it but she went into total tantrum mode. Then finally got her calmed down and DS decides instead of eating he was going to start throwing his food! We we trying to get that under grip when he decided the high chair was no longer for him and was trying to climb out. IN the meantime DD against starts crying about her hair and now the dress too! Ariel walked right by our table. The waitress brought our check and was basically telling us "have a great day" in such a way and then DD started crying that she didn't get to meet Ariel yet (which I couldn't blame her!). Poor Ariel - she tried being friendly but was in a get me away from here mode! After breakfast we went back to BBB where they helped me comb out DD"s hair and added more pixie dust and we changed her into her regular clothes. The rest of the day was a perfect Disney day like that never happened. We laugh about it now especially when looking at the pictures of that meal!

Ahh, memories.

This thread brought them back. Disney was the most embarrassed I have ever been in my life. There was one of those torrential storms that always seems to hit at the worst time. Of course our DD of 8 HATED getting wet unless she was going swimming, in which case it was fine. Well right before our looong bus ride to 1900 park faire for the character dinner we got drenched and ended up up running through one of those puddles that look like nothing but are like a foot deep.

She proceeded to wailing at the top of her lungs and would not stop no matter what myself or my poor DW did to try and comfort her. It was like we kidnapped this poor child and would not let her go. This went on for a looooonnnnnngggg bus ride of like 15-20 minutes or 30 minutes or 5 hours, I don't know. I got that super hot embarrassed feeling you get where you think you are going to pass out. She literally never stopped wailing at the top of her lungs because she was soaking wet. I felt so bad for the poor people on that bus.

From that day to today I have all the sympathies in the world for parents who have an out of control crying child. The crazy thing is that I think my DD did more Crying on that trip than the rest of her life so far. XD

All these posts make me laugh. We waited to do our first trip when our son was 9 and spent a few weeks prepping him. He went for very long walks, we practiced new ways to stay entertained for long lines and practiced what to do in case we got separated. It all worked! Except for the fact that we didn't know the kid didn't like rides. That was a long 10 days of no rides. I should add though on the last day, the last park, we convinced him to try Shamu's coaster and he loved it!! Insisted we try more rides. Too late kid.

He's now 16.......has had enough of amusements parks so this mama travels alone.

At Crystal Palace DS who was 2 at the time was drinking milk in a straw cup. Tigger comes by and DS is giggling and happy and I (stupidly) said "uh-oh, Tigger is going to steal your milk!" so Tigger playfully grabs the milk cup and puts it to his mouth. Well, then DS punches Tigger in the nose! I was mortified and apologized profusely (I hope he could hear me in there)!

My DD was 2.5 at the time of her first trip and was definitely still a napping kid at the time. My husband loathes the bus. So we were staying at Boardwalk but had spent the morning at magic kingdom. So to get back to the resort around lunch, we took the monorail to Epcot and then walked through Epcot. (Yes, I know this is longer, he knows this is longer, but alas, the bus-loathing knows no bounds).

So DD falls asleep on the monorail. We're pushing the stroller, I think we pop into mouse gears for a second, and then decide to get fish and chips. No big deal, it's on the way and everything. Mistake happens when we stop to eat. WHY did we stop instead of walking toward our hotel?!

So we're over by the little maze, and the inconsolable crying/screaming begins. So we pushed a stroller with a screaming child from the UK at Epcot all the way out of the international gateway and along the Boardwalk to the resort itself. She finally calmed down, but man, it was September, midday, hot and humid, and no background noise as the Boardwalk is not busy during the day. It felt like the screaming could be heard across the lake at yacht club!!

We learned to not stop and to always keep a pacifier at the time.

Last trip, about a month ago, my little guy is 18 months. We go to studios in the afternoon, he's doing fine, we walk (remember the bus loathing) from HS to Epcot for a reservation at biergarten, and apparently the heat got to the little dude. My husband eats, I go to grab food, sit down, and my husband is walking behind me holding the little guy who is puking water all over. And yes, we were seated with others. They were totally like "check please!!"

I go outside and meet up with husband, of course he wanted to get outside in case the fountain continued. So I go to the Germany bathrooms - closed. We wound up dragging the little guy to the baby care center, which worked out, but oh man.

At Crystal Palace DS who was 2 at the time was drinking milk in a straw cup. Tigger comes by and DS is giggling and happy and I (stupidly) said "uh-oh, Tigger is going to steal your milk!" so Tigger playfully grabs the milk cup and puts it to his mouth. Well, then DS punches Tigger in the nose! I was mortified and apologized profusely (I hope he could hear me in there)!

hahaha my son punched tigger in the nose too!!! He was 2.5! And I have it on video. I felt so bad. Poor Tigger - he must be used to getting hit by now! haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter