How hard is it to get GCH villas at 7 mon window?

Baloo2003

Mouseketeer
I have an upcoming DLR trip in Spetember, but at the 7 month window (GCH is not our home resort) we were not able to book a studio for any of the nights. I thought it would be easier. We are using more points to stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel, but it is further away and not the best use of our points. Any one else having any luch at the 7 month window?

I have an upcoming DLR trip in Spetember, but at the 7 month window (GCH is not our home resort) we were not able to book a studio for any of the nights. I thought it would be easier. We are using more points to stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel, but it is further away and not the best use of our points. Any one else having any luch at the 7 month window?

VGC is one of our home resorts and because we go for the DL 1/2 and Tinkerbell 1/2 we book at 11 months. I did book a trip in November for our DS using Aulani points at 7 months. I also wait listed 1 night in September for a last minute trip and got an email over the weekend that it came through (it's almost at the 30 day mark so plans changed for someone). It's probably not likely over Labor Day weekend due to the 1/2 marathon, but other dates in September should be easier.

GCV is a small DVC resort. September in Anaheim, unlike September in Orlando, is one of the nicest months weather-wise of the year. It is also low point adventure season. I checked it for throughout Sep this year at 7 months out and, though you could at times get a couple days in a row and sometimes three, it was otherwise booked up in all room categories by 7 months out. Want an easier time: so far at 7 months out it has been wide open for Feb and March 2014.

I agree using points for any of the hotels at DLR aren't as good a deal as using them at VGC, but the PP is literally across the street from GCH. Maybe an additional 5 minute walk, if you don't make the green light to cross that street.

So I wouldn't worry about being further away.

Any one else having any luch at the 7 month window?
I don't often get a reservation on my first attempt, but I've had great luck with the waitlist. We have/had 3 reservations at the Grand Cal this year using SSR points:
* 4 nights, Studio, Feb/March
* 3 nights, Studio, Memorial Day weekend
* 3 nights, 1BR, mid-December weekend

Next time: don't be too quick to trade out to the DLR hotels -- exhaust the waitlist.

I just got a res yesterday for a week stay in Feb in a 1 br. I has read it is the smallest DVC resort so I was fully expecting not to get it, especially since DH didn't agree at 7 mths.
However, I have never been to DL and am not really sure about crowds, weather, etc. that affect it.

I just got a res yesterday for a week stay in Feb in a 1 br. I has read it is the smallest DVC resort so I was fully expecting not to get it, especially since DH didn't agree at 7 mths.
However, I have never been to DL and am not really sure about crowds, weather, etc. that affect it.

1BR are generally easier to book at DVC (I've had decent luck with BLT and BWV standard 1BR at 7mo), especially since points are so high at GCV + shorter stays with "only" 2 parks.
(I think DL actually has more attractions than WDW)

I also just got 6 nights @7 months out, in Feb not long ago. I got Presidents week, the last week before the points make a huge jump on the 23rd.

I have been able to get rooms there at 7 months a few times.

I like Paradise Pier very much too, it is a nice option. I love the upper floor theme park view in particular.

We're DVC members and we worried that we could not get reservations for our trip to DLR at VGC in October. We were connecting to a cruise so it had to be before or after the cruise. So we opted to rent the points at the 10 1/2 month mark. When the 7 month mark came around we found we could not have book the dates before or after our Princess cruise.

BTW, we checked other months and the dates were available at the 7 month mark except for October and a lot of September.

I'm 3 for 3 at exactly 7 months:

May 2011 - studio
Sept 2012 - studio
Aug 2013 - 1 bedroom

I was unsuccessful yesterday... shooting for Monday check-in and Saturday check-out. However, today, I was successful for Tuesday check-in and Sunday check-out. It's the 7 month window for us in March and it's Spring Break time for many, many schools. I am beyond happy as it still fits into our plans to surprise DS with DisneyLand!! We are starting at VGF for 2 nights, then splitting the stay and moving to BCV for 1 night to relax at the pool, do some laundry and re-pack... then on Tuesday morning... head to MK for rope drop... FLY out of Orlando to CA and end our day at DisneyLand!!

So, I'm happier than I was yesterday. We have a DisneyLand hotel package booked that I can now cancel with no regrets!! :banana::banana::banana:

Stayed at GCV in April during Easter break, made my ressie exactly at the 7 month mark no problems at all, Guess we just got lucky

We were able to get a two bedroom for sep 21st through the 26th right at 7 months.

I had specific dates for our September trip with minimal flexibility so we opted to transfer in points in lieu of risking it, but I did check at our 7 month window and there were openings at least for the 1 bedroom I was looking for. Our trip is 9/16-9/22. I believe there was even availability at 6 months 29 days :) YMMV...

Waitlisted for a studio just one Saturday night, Sept 28, at Grand Cal 2 months out and it just came through...we are SO PSYCHED! Got spoiled staying there a couple days before one of the last Mexican Riviera Disney cruises and were not looking forward to our backup reservation at a local hotel, even though it was one with relatively few hideous reviews.

We thought we had no hope at all for one Saturday night in a studio so close to the date of travel, but we sure got pixie dusted this time!

Waitlisted for a studio just one Saturday night, Sept 28, at Grand Cal 2 months out and it just came through...we are SO PSYCHED! Got spoiled staying there a couple days before one of the last Mexican Riviera Disney cruises and were not looking forward to our backup reservation at a local hotel, even though it was one with relatively few hideous reviews.

We thought we had no hope at all for one Saturday night in a studio so close to the date of travel, but we sure got pixie dusted this time!

Wow, congratulations! I had the last Friday in September waitlisted for 3 months last year and it never came through. It was the night of the first Halloween party and we decided to extend our trip. We moved to PPH.

Wow, congratulations! I had the last Friday in September waitlisted for 3 months last year and it never came through. It was the night of the first Halloween party and we decided to extend our trip. We moved to PPH.

Thanks...we're going to the LA area for my husband's business trip and staying in a hotel near LAX except for the last night so we can go to Disneyland/CA. I figured we had next to no chance at Grand Cal, but the wait list is free, and we had a reasonable back up plan. The big expense for this trip will be the whopper-sized prices of two-day hoppers (cause we can only go Friday afternoon and then Saturday). We want to see the new Cars land but not spend all day in CA. We have annual passes for WDW and sure wish DL would let you do magic-your-way type tickets that had the "no-expire" feature. At DL it seems more like "magic-their-way"! :-)

Anyone have any experience with trying to book late July @7 months. just found out my wife's sister is getting married in San Diego next July, sure would like to combine it into an extended vacation at Disneyland:)

Anyone have any experience with trying to book late July @7 months. just found out my wife's sister is getting married in San Diego next July, sure would like to combine it into an extended vacation at Disneyland:)

We got a studio July 6th-13th at the 7 month mark this summer.

Great resort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter