• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does Disney Dining at Disneyland work?

superbird

DIS Veteran
Thinking about Disneyland next August and used to WDW dining plan but how does the Disneyland plan compare? It says meals does that include Blue Bayou as well as the counter service? they say 4 day Minnie plan but how much does that include in total meals? What is your experience? thanks

I am interested in the answer to this one too.

From what I understand it doesn't really save you anything at Disneyland - its more of a convenience thing. The vouchers are only good for the amount you paid for them. I am hoping I misunderstood though!

You are given vouchers. Each voucher has a dollar value. You have the equivalent of one character meal with tax and tip included. One counter service mea which includes a drnk, one snack which is a $5 value, and cash vouchers. You can use them any day or in combination. You get no change back. There is no real savings. But it a great way to budget and prepay

From what I understand it doesn't really save you anything at Disneyland - its more of a convenience thing. The vouchers are only good for the amount you paid for them.

That is it in a nushell. ^^^^

You get vouchers that have a set dollar amount of value and you can apply them to your bills. While it says you get a character meal or premium character meal, you can use that on another meal even Blue Bayou. A big difference is you can use the vouchers at all Disney locations, in the hotels and parks, but not the third part operations in DTD.

I'd go on and on but read this post below on how a family made it work just fine. It does take some planning, just like the WDW Dining Plan, because that doesn't simply save you money.
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40974724&postcount=420

Thanks for all the replies, did anyone else get it and if so how did you like it? Was it worth it or better to just pay as you go? any favorite restauraunts too that you enjoyed? thanks so much

We used them for the first time on our last trip. It was great for planning. We used them for all of our meals. We did all of the character meals. We were planning on going anyway. We did the Blue Bayou and Wine Country Trattoria. In the past we did pay as you go. But we also have prepurchased vouchers from Getaway today. If you are on a tight budet, this may not be the way to go. But if you want an easier dining experience, this would be helpful. We could just leave the vouchers and go. No waiting for the bill, or change, or figuring the tip. I'm sure we didn't break even on it. We have AAA and could have gotten discounts at a few character meals.
I'm sure If I had researched and planned harder, I could have saved a bit on it. May work on that for next trip!

Think of the meal plan as a loan to Disney. If you go over the price of the voucher, you owe the extra. Disney repaid the loan with no interest. If you go under the price of the voucher, Disney keeps the rest and you're out the money. Disney repaid only part of the loan and isn't going to pay you the rest. Such a deal huh?

We usually use cash to buy a Disney gift card for dining. That way we have "pre-paid" and we don't have to worry about carrying a bunch of cash for food. If we plan on eating palces other than the parks (ie-downtown Disney or off site) we also get a pre-paid visa.

I like to have everything paid for before we leave home, that way I don't have a ton of bills to pay when we get home ;)

I too am a big Disney Gift Card fan *as a form of prepaying - not only food but souvenirs. You can also add $$ to an existing DGC by calling DelivEARS ~800-362-4533 *you give the CM your credit/debit card info and they mail you the receipt *I prefer to carry 1 GC with me *I add $$ a couple times a month. Be sure to write down or email yourself your card # and pin - if you lose the card it can be replaced if you have that information.

Think of the meal plan as a loan to Disney. If you go over the price of the voucher, you owe the extra. Disney repaid the loan with no interest. If you go under the price of the voucher, Disney keeps the rest and you're out the money. Disney repaid only part of the loan and isn't going to pay you the rest. Such a deal huh?

Reading all this this was exactly what I was thinking. Why do people do this then any other benefits or just to prepay? I remember years ago Disney World had buy $40 worth get $10 free does the Land do that or no specials? also any discounts in the August time frame? when do discounts generally come out for what seasons?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter