• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does Disney count room occupancy?

spectrecat

Mouseketeer
On our next trip, we'll have four children, ages 9, 10, 2, and 5ish months. The two little ones will be split with us and in a pack'n'play, and the 9 and 10 year olds can share a bed. We can totally fit in a double queen room, but I'm not sure how Disney views the little ones!

most of the moderate resort rooms now have a murphy bed option.. so you have 2 double beds, one in a murphy bed, and one unde 1 year in a pack and play

mostly queen beds now. so the 6 of you could fit in a room at a moderate resort (Caribbean Beach, Port orleans riverside both have the murphy bed) not sure about coronado springs or Port orleans french quarter. how you want to mix and match the people in your room is up to you! lol

On our next trip, we'll have four children, ages 9, 10, 2, and 5ish months. The two little ones will be split with us and in a pack'n'play, and the 9 and 10 year olds can share a bed. We can totally fit in a double queen room, but I'm not sure how Disney views the little ones!

Are you asking about room capacity regulations? I believe it allows for one child under the age of 3 - so a room that allows four would allow five with a child under 3. You'd get better answers on the resort forum, IMO.

Are you asking about room capacity regulations? I believe it allows for one child under the age of 3 - so a room that allows four would allow five with a child under 3. You'd get better answers on the resort forum, IMO.
I'll post there, too. Thanks!

So essentially the infant doesn't count?

Right. Only the infant doesn't count, so you could book a room fit for 5 people (POR and CBR are the cheapest).

You could not book a room that fits 4 people even though you could work it out sleep wise.

Your infant usually won't count for occupancy purposes but you need to include that child in your count when booking restaurant reservations.

I want to add, I have done the legal 6 at POR, and I would never ever do it again. And that was before they took away drawer space to put in the pull down bed. There is a huge difference in fitting in a room, and fitting comfortably in a room. With the pull down bed in use and a pack and play, you will barely be able to move in the room. I would recommend you look at a family suite, either at the All Star Music or Art of Animation. At either of those you will get lots more space, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette.

I want to add, I have done the legal 6 at POR, and I would never ever do it again. And that was before they took away drawer space to put in the pull down bed. There is a huge difference in fitting in a room, and fitting comfortably in a room. With the pull down bed in use and a pack and play, you will barely be able to move in the room. I would recommend you look at a family suite, either at the All Star Music or Art of Animation. At either of those you will get lots more space, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette.

I think this just depends on the family. If you think your infant/toddler will sleep with others awake and if you don't care about a lack of space (we just moved last summer and until our move our family of 6 survived in a 1,000 sq ft house with only 1 bathroom every day just fine ;) ) than the cheaper room will be fine. I loved POR and am sad we can't all fit there unless we do 2 rooms anymore (and we are tempted). Makes me sad that such a family oriented place doesn't think about providing affordable rooms for bigger families (and honestly in my area 4 kids is pretty average).

Yes, you need to find a room that holds 5 plus infant.

POR Alligator Bayou with fold down bunk, CBR with fold down bunk, Ft Wilderness Cabins, ASMu Suites or AoA Suites is where I would start and compare prices/amenities and see what works best.

Ft Wilderness also gives you cooking options that can help you save more money.

Makes me sad that such a family oriented place doesn't think about providing affordable rooms for bigger families (and honestly in my area 4 kids is pretty average).

Since the 1970's the average number of children in a family has been dropping from around 2.5 to just under 2. Most Disney's rooms work for the average family. I think Disney has done a good job of modifying some moderates and adding suites at values. For us, family of 5 full grown, when we all travel we now stay offsite in a large suite or condo (and we do fine in a room together) since it gives us more value.

I think this just depends on the family. If you think your infant/toddler will sleep with others awake and if you don't care about a lack of space (we just moved last summer and until our move our family of 6 survived in a 1,000 sq ft house with only 1 bathroom every day just fine ;) ) than the cheaper room will be fine. I loved POR and am sad we can't all fit there unless we do 2 rooms anymore (and we are tempted). Makes me sad that such a family oriented place doesn't think about providing affordable rooms for bigger families (and honestly in my area 4 kids is pretty average).

And it makes me sad that my daughter and I get charged the same price for just the two of us for a room as a family of four gets charged.

A family with four kids (or more) is considered pretty big in my area. 1-2 kids are the norm. Disney gives people lots of options, but space is a premium, and a family of 6 takes up more space than a family of 4. They have to consider fire codes in the spaces they design.

I also don't think it is up to Disney to provide what each of us thinks we can afford. There are so many variables that go into that--what level of resort are you comfortable at, how long will you stay, how long do you have to save up, what kind of park tickets will you have, and so on and so on. It is up to us to work within out budgets, not up to Disney to make sure they offer what we want at a cost we are willing to pay. I'd love to say I can only afford $100 a night and expect to stay at the Poly, but that is not realistic. My issue, not Disney's.

I would reall consider a family suite- that second bathroom is really nice to get the kids bathed at the end of the day quickly!

And it makes me sad that my daughter and I get charged the same price for just the two of us for a room as a family of four gets charged.

A family with four kids (or more) is considered pretty big in my area. 1-2 kids are the norm. Disney gives people lots of options, but space is a premium, and a family of 6 takes up more space than a family of 4. They have to consider fire codes in the spaces they design.

I'm sorry that makes you sad, fortunately you don't have to pay for 4 plane tickets, food for four or park tickets for four and you can choose any resort you would like to stay at.
The majority of hotels I have been to, in many places not just my area (we have stayed in Minneapolis, Chicago, Ontario, Las Vegas, Tampa ect) offer standard rooms that fit up to 6 people, two queens and a pull out couch. It isn't that we can't afford it, it is that if we want to stay on site we can either stay at a value, not my cup of tea, the cabins or in two separate rooms. I don't want a kitchen on vacation and no my family really doesn't need that much space since when we are on vacation we go back to the room to sleep, that's it. We need two beds, a couch and a bathroom and we are good. Somehow it isn't against fire code anywhere else, nor is it off of Disney property. We like to vacation as a family, and it is odd that when considering family vacations Disney is the most difficult in terms of occupancy...considering they are designed for families, which usually have more than 2 people.

I'm sorry that makes you sad, fortunately you don't have to pay for 4 plane tickets, food for four or park tickets for four and you can choose any resort you would like to stay at.
The majority of hotels I have been to, in many places not just my area (we have stayed in Minneapolis, Chicago, Ontario, Las Vegas, Tampa ect) offer standard rooms that fit up to 6 people, two queens and a pull out couch. It isn't that we can't afford it, it is that if we want to stay on site we can either stay at a value, not my cup of tea, the cabins or in two separate rooms. I don't want a kitchen on vacation and no my family really doesn't need that much space since when we are on vacation we go back to the room to sleep, that's it. We need two beds, a couch and a bathroom and we are good. Somehow it isn't against fire code anywhere else, nor is it off of Disney property. We like to vacation as a family, and it is odd that when considering family vacations Disney is the most difficult in terms of occupancy...considering they are designed for families, which usually have more than 2 people.

We stay in those suites all the time, Embassy Suites are a favorite but there are also several others that offer that minutes from the parks. The money saved can rent a van. There are several options on property, but as you say they are not "your cup of tea" - but they exist.

Disney offers what they feel is the best business model for them. They do offer solutions on property and they come with typical Disney price tags. There are those options in Disney Springs resorts which include a good bus system. And there are many offsite that are lower prices enough to cover van rental.

Sure I love on property but when we all go that is something we pass on to get more value for our dollar.

PS Disney is designed for everyone, ageless, not just families. And as I said before all rooms are good for the average family. For those of us who are bigger than average, we have a more limited choice but we do have choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter