• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you store your GCs

jsrowdon

Mouseketeer
How does everyone store all their Disney gift cards while waiting for their trip? Do you keep them all, combine them into 1 large GC, use a vacation account and get it back before you go? Maybe some other idea? Just trying to figure out the safest method.

How does everyone store all their Disney gift cards while waiting for their trip? Do you keep them all, combine them into 1 large GC, use a vacation account and get it back before you go? Maybe some other idea? Just trying to figure out the safest method.

I don't have a big stash right now, but I combine my cards on disneygiftcard.com and keep them stored in our safe when not in use. I also keep a box with all of my used gift cards (not just Disney, everything) just in case I need them later. When you are combining hundreds of gift cards, sometimes things get a little crazy.

I put them all on Disney gift card.com. I put the max balance on each card.

If I lose one, I keep a spare gift card with no balance so I can transfer it all to that empty card.

Luckily I haven't lost one yet, knock on wood.

I just started buying gift cards a few months ago for my trip in 2018. I don't plan on combining them until right before we leave. I'm not using them to pay off my trip or anything like that just for suvinors. I don't buy them in high dollar amounts either. They are stored in a safe place only I know about.

Last couple trips I've paid everything with them, so I've had thousands of dollars worth saved up over time (luckily I buy $500 ones for fuel perks and not the lower denomination ones so it isn't quite as bad). I keep them in my home safe. I didn't know until recently that you can combine up to $1000. Now I combine them and safe them, and still keep the old ones in the safe just in case there is an issue. Once our trip is over, I throw out all the ones they've been used up.

Anyone have a Disney vacation savings account (is that what it's called?). I've read the Disney vacation accounts you can use gift cards and you gain some money for every I think $1000 you have in here. Haven't looked too much into it but that may be a good idea. I know they are making money of your money sitting there, but so am I and I'm not making anything with them in my home safe.

I combine them. Then I keep them in my desk. Then they go in my wallet to the room safe where they stay until the last day of our trip when I go pay off the balance.

I put them all on Disney gift card.com. I put the max balance on each card.

If I lose one, I keep a spare gift card with no balance so I can transfer it all to that empty card.

Luckily I haven't lost one yet, knock on wood.
Ditto to this!
Also...
I combine them right away because 1) I don't want to loose them & 2) I ALWAYS check the balances within a couple days of purchase & since I've input all the data into the website to do so I don't want to have to do it again (I have seen instances where GCs didn't activate properly & I don't want to be that person!)
I don't use DVA because a few stories of "technical difficulties" are a few too many for me.

I keep them in a dresser drawer until a couple of days before the trip then I combine them on gift cards.com. After I have combined them I just stick them in a wallet in my luggage then in the room safe until after the trip then shred them.

I keep them in my home safe and then when I have time, closer to the trip, I combine them. I don't use them to pay off the trip. It's used for our spending and food while down there.

I wait until the balance is almost due on my trip and the go purchase the cards. I then come home, verify the card has the proper amount and pay it toward my trip.

Due to a problem I had a few trips ago I take a sharpie and number the cards in the order I pay for the trip. I then keep all the cards until the travel is over.

I buy a Disney card every week at the grocery and about once a month I combine them. I just keep them in my dresser drawer at home and in my wallet or the safe on our trips.

I'm in Canada and have been saving gift cards for about 3 years. When people I know are crossing the border I bug them to bring me back a gift card. I'm on one survey site that actually offers US Disney gift cards so I order them when I hit $100. So my gift cards were all $25, $50, and $100 ones. Oh, and a couple of $10 for some reason.

It was only last week I heard about Disneygiftcard.com. Until then I stored them in a separate wallet I kept hidden in the house, but always had the numbers & security code saved on an Excel spreadsheet with their balances. I'm so glad I found the thread about combining cards! I was worried about paying for the WOC dessert party, meals and especially my park tickets on multiple gift cards!!

So now I have them combined into 5 gift cards. I could have put more $ on and ended up with less cards, but my husband suggested spreading them out more just in case I lose a card while in California. I'll still take photos of the card numbers as I understand Disney will cancel a lost/stolen card and give me a new one, but this feels safer to me.

I guess I'm in the minority...I combine them on my disney vacation account, mark them with a sharpie, and keep them in a desk drawer until the trip is completed. I didn't realize how much I had used my DVA until I got an email with my most recent gift card allowance arriving next week---I've maxed it out after the most recent utilization! I've never had any technical issues with it (knock on wood), just occasionally have had to speak to multiple reps until I got one on the phone who was familiar with the program. The maximum amount per household is $500 so for merely imputing and calling I've received $500 over the past 4 years for trips. Not going to sneeze at that :)

I'm in Canada and have been saving gift cards for about 3 years. When people I know are crossing the border I bug them to bring me back a gift card. I'm on one survey site that actually offers US Disney gift cards so I order them when I hit $100. So my gift cards were all $25, $50, and $100 ones. Oh, and a couple of $10 for some reason.

It was only last week I heard about Disneygiftcard.com. Until then I stored them in a separate wallet I kept hidden in the house, but always had the numbers & security code saved on an Excel spreadsheet with their balances. I'm so glad I found the thread about combining cards! I was worried about paying for the WOC dessert party, meals and especially my park tickets on multiple gift cards!!

So now I have them combined into 5 gift cards. I could have put more $ on and ended up with less cards, but my husband suggested spreading them out more just in case I lose a card while in California. I'll still take photos of the card numbers as I understand Disney will cancel a lost/stolen card and give me a new one, but this feels safer to me.

FYI -- if you lose a gift card -- you can just go online and transfer the balance to one of your other credit cards.

I guess I'm in the minority...I combine them on my disney vacation account, mark them with a sharpie, and keep them in a desk drawer until the trip is completed. I didn't realize how much I had used my DVA until I got an email with my most recent gift card allowance arriving next week---I've maxed it out after the most recent utilization! I've never had any technical issues with it (knock on wood), just occasionally have had to speak to multiple reps until I got one on the phone who was familiar with the program. The maximum amount per household is $500 so for merely imputing and calling I've received $500 over the past 4 years for trips. Not going to sneeze at that :)

We do the same thing. I buy them discounted and then load to the DVA. I label each one with a sharpie including the amount and date that I loaded it. I keep them in the desk drawer until the trip is completed. No technical issues with us either and have had to help a rep or two apply it correctly. I will happily take the $500 for using the DVA.

I just started buying gift cards a few months ago for my trip in 2018. I don't plan on combining them until right before we leave. I'm not using them to pay off my trip or anything like that just for suvinors. I don't buy them in high dollar amounts either. They are stored in a safe place only I know about.
I would consider combining them now, JUST IN CASE.. if you happen to loose them all you can then transfer all your money to a new card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter