how do you get picked for ollivanders?

My dd really really wanted to be picked last time, we were there on a less busy day and went through twice with no luck. After the second time she didn't want to go through again so she just picked out her wand herself and we went on our way.

Younger DS, who is 7, really, really wants to be chosen. He's tall for his age and sort of stands out (shock of white-blond hair), so I'm hoping that helps. He also tends to exude enthusiasm. :D

I thought I'd buy him a Gryffindor shirt (the kid is a Gryffindor if I've ever seen one), but heck, I'd spring for robes if I thought it would help. He actually has a set of simple Slytherin robes from when he was Draco (the blond hair, you know?) for Halloween in 2014, but he's outgrown them.

When we went, the wizard bypassed every kid in the place (including my 7 and 8 year old sons) and picked my 14 year old niece, who was thrilled. I'm 99% sure it was because she was wearing a sundress which was a complete replica, to to bottom, of the Marauder's Map.

It really is luck of the draw! My dh and girls all went while I did some shopping late one evening and there wasn't many people and my 10 yr old got chosen, she was so excited! The little one who was 5 really wanted to do it, so we tried again the next evening, went in there was only 1 other family besides us, he looked at the 5 yr old who my dh was holding because she was wanting to see better than in her stroller and he looked at her and said "ahh to young" oh she was devastated. So he chose my 10 yr old again! I was like what??!!! 2 times in a row! We declined and he chose the other girl with the other family. I was disappointed he didn't let either my 15 yr old or 5 yr old do it, esp when he looked right at her but ah well. We ended up buying her a wand anyway but she really wanted that fun experience.

If you really want to get chosen, my suggestion would be to go to Diagon Alley on an early entry day, and go straight to Ollivander's. You may end up with a private showing, or at least a much smaller group. Last month my wife and I were about 15 seconds away from getting a two-person group, so that one of us was guaranteed to be chosen. At the last minute, a family with a nine-year-old appeared, and we knew we were toast.

Not to worry - the line for Gringott's should still be all right when you get out. (Besides, if the line there is too short, you miss out on enjoying the cool stuff in the queue.)

Agree - and observe who you are in line with. If you are in a group with lots of cute kids, your odds are low. My daughter was dying to be selected, so we made sure that we went in with a group of adults. Sure 'nuff, she got picked. :)

I'd guess they don't usually choose very young child as they need to interact and not get upset when everyone laughs.

In my experience of doing it 3 times 'tween' seems to be lucky age (my Dd was 8 and 9 but is tall age 12 clothes)

Wearing something potter themed can't hurt, DD wore a robe and tie both times chosen, I can remember him saying 'a young gryffndor' so somthing they can use to interact with.

If you go early morning or late evening and are not chosen go round again. I did warn DD not everyone got a turn.

This was her first time chosen in 2014

IFTTTFacebook.jpg

6071864974247173713_WP_20141022_09_17_32_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
So what happens if you are chosen. Can you buy the wand that chooses you?

My kids swear that you need to stand near the stairs. My son was chosen standing there. He was 11. This past August my two kids went in late one night during a rain storm. They were the only two in the show. My son got picked but he told them that his sister really wanted to do it ( she was 16).
Yep you get the "privilege" of buying the chosen wand.

Yep you get the "privilege" of buying the chosen wand.
First question they ask once the fitting is done - "Will you be buying your wand?" How many parents manage to say no when their kid has just had the greatest moment of their young life?

We were just there and I was disappointed my kids didn't get picked. They were actually dressed in Griffindoor custom outfits I made. He picked a girl that was dressed in normal clothes. I agree that it is random.

I don't think it's about where you stand. But I can tell you this story: My daughter was 13 at the time. We managed to be at the front of the waiting line by the door after filling the room with the people ahead of us. my daughter chatted up the castmember standing there to handle the line. She was excited and animated about everything Harry Potter. She did not mention being chosen or her wish to be chosen. When we entered, we stood at the rail but end up off to the right near the door you use to exit into the shop. As soon as the shopkeeper Wizard started looking around I knew he had picked my daughter - body language suggested it - and after scanning the crowd he came back to her. I am convinced the guy outside suggested she be picked.

If you really want to get chosen, my suggestion would be to go to Diagon Alley on an early entry day, and go straight to Ollivander's. You may end up with a private showing, or at least a much smaller group. Last month my wife and I were about 15 seconds away from getting a two-person group, so that one of us was guaranteed to be chosen. At the last minute, a family with a nine-year-old appeared, and we knew we were toast.

Not to worry - the line for Gringott's should still be all right when you get out. (Besides, if the line there is too short, you miss out on enjoying the cool stuff in the queue.)

Yep, be the only group - my kid was the only kid of 5 (2 stray adults joined my mom, me, and my kid), so I knew it was a gimme we were picked. It was the BEST way to buy the wand and it made her trip...

I will say I also mentioned to the guy at the door that I was doing this so I didn't have to figure out the wand shop (and the huge crowd in there)...so knowing he had a sure sale probably helped!

Good tips! Thanks!

YDS is willing to do it multiple times, he's so eager. I wish his Slytherin robes still fit. He made such a perfect little Draco ... except for the beaming smile on his face most of the time. :D

I'm betting random when busy- especially after my BFF's experience last October. No Potterwear, early 30's, near the middle front of the shop near a bunch of kids of all ages, and she was wearing a birthday button. She was picked to get a wand. They weren't in the front of the line to get in, didn't chat a handler, or anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter