How disappointed I am with the Boards now

W

Wendy WDW

After last night's fiasco on the board and as things seem to work better when the US members are asleep, I thought I would post my views. And yes, I have read Webmaster Alex post.

Firstly, while we have no choice but to make the US boards home, I hesitated in posting anything for 24 hours after the crash, or whatever it was as we have never really been given a proper explanantion and I was so upset that there were NO backups made. On reflection I decided to give it a go yesterday, posting by day seems fine, but last night was just a joke. I look forward to posting through the evening and being told the server is busy time and time again, messages that you cannot post for another 60 seconds, editing, and more importantly not being able to read any new posts, as they do not show up, is just not acceptable.

I have been a member for nearly two years now and never thought I would hear myself saying, "If things do not improve in the very near future, I will be looking for an alternative board".

Wendy

I know that its upsetting that there has been so much information lost, but I think that we all need to be grateful for all the hard work that Alex and his team have put in. Ok so we are all on one board now – what’s the problem with that? I am a member on both boards, gaining information and help from people all around the world, and yes the boards do go a little slow at times but that’s because this place is just so popular.
I’m not slamming anyone so please don’t slam me, I just think that we need to pull together to ‘rebuild’ this board how we want it to be.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Emma

I can't agree with you more Emma,

We are all dissappointed that our beloved UK dis has malfunctioned but we are brits after all and we can put up with almost anything.

I personaly would like to thank Alex and his team for doing such a good job in providing us ALL with an alternative dis site so that we can all dis togethar once more, so what! if we can't get connected as quickly as we used to, what would we have done if Alex and his team had given up at the first post?

So come on guys and gals :bounce:

Give the powers that be a break and start pulling together to make this site BIGGER and better (or at least as good as) than it was before:p

Just thought that i'd let you all know how i and I'm sure others feel ,
Luv Audrey,
XXXXXXXXXX:wave: :sunny:

I'm sorry but I'm with Wendy- I don't mind being a part of the US boards, IF and it's a very big IF - they will work - but when they don't work then personally I am losing interest.

I like all the extra's, avatars, countdowns etc but I can live without them if I can post and read posts easilly, and if basics like the number of replys and who posted last are actually working.

Bev

Have mixed feelings really, would hate to see everyone disperse, but it is frustrating when you cannot get on because the servier is busy, or the threads are posting incorrectly.
Has anyone read my thread Where Else???.

I know that persons greater than me are working very hard at sorting things out, but its seems to have lost its edge over here. Like bev can do without aviators ect if necessary, but fed up sitting around for 5minutes everytime I send something:mad:
Perhaps it is early days and we need to stick at it for a bit longer before judging too much!

As a relative newcomer to the boards I feel it would be a real shame if members stop logging on - how often do you find such a great bunch of people.

I agree that the speed problem is extremely frustrating but now that I have found you all I will certainly be hanging in there and can only hope that things will improve.

Love Jenny(thatcats):earsgirl:

I too have mixed feelings but at the end of the day it's the people that make these boards not fancy avatars and signatures. But really at the end of the Day I agree with Wendy and Bev if it doesn't get any better then maybe we will have to find alternative boards. I'd love to have the confidence like Audrey to make these boards bigger and better but find that hard to believe as they can't cope with the number of people on board now. It really is a shame the UK boards went down, but what people really want to do is talk and at the moment you can't. I have the luxury of being able to log on throughout the day but I feel sorry for anyone who can't log on until the evening. Sorry to be so negative guys :(

Lisa xx

That's the other annoying thing!!!

We don't know who's replying to the threads as it's not showing up :mad:

Lisa

I have to agree with everything Emma (Pixie Power!) said. I think we should all be grateful to Alex and everyone else who are working hard to try and keep these boards up and running. I know I am grateful. Yes sometimes the speed can be frustrating but at least we can still get on here.

Yes TT, but unfortunately some people, good friends, have been unable to log on at all, so that is the most annoying thing of all:(

Time for my say now!! :)

Well, I'm as unhappy as everyone that we've lost all the old names, info, trip reports, pictures etc. etc. from the old board, but, like a couple of people who've already made their point it's the people that make up the boards.

We've still got the boards, and as time goes by we're getting more and more of the 'old gang' finding us again. I'm sure that the 'powers that be' and the moderators are just as frustrated as all of us and are doing their damndest to sort it all out.

As with anything that changes there are people that are unhappy, but for goodness sake what on earth are we going to achieve by cutting our noses off to spite our faces. OK so some of us move elsewhere, where we'll no no-one and who's to say that the service there is going to be any quicker or better.

Last year a 'rival' board to UK Dis was set up and I went along there every so often so see what was happening, however, I very quickly became disillusioned as there were so few people, therefore, few posts and, imho, it became very cliquey, so I decided not to go there anymore. Let's not let the same thing happen here.

It's very early days for us all, let's at least stick with it for a while. The time it takes for everything is incredibly frustrating but, hopefully things will improve shortly, the majority of us are trying hard to stay cheerful and making the effort, if we all do the same things are bound to improve.

Stop moaning folks and get smiling- that's what friends do at times of adversity!! That's what us Brits are best at, let's show all of our US friends what we're made of! I've lost all my trip reports, my signature and loads of other things that I wish I'd kept but I'm not going to let the ******** (my stars btw!!) get me down!!

There are some of us out there trying hard to get 'community' posts going - let's all join in and keep perservering!! :)

Astrid x

I am surprised more DIsers haven't come out in support for Wendy.

Yes I am grateful for the work that is undoubtably going on 'behind the scenes' but it isn't a personal affront or insult to Pete or the moderators to say that you are very disappointed with the present situation as I am.

Unless I log on very early I cannot even get on here.And when I do it can take 15 minutes to put a reply on to a thread.It took that long to put my post on asking to know the situation with whether this is permanent.I thought it wasn't (in which case I can hang in until we're back to our own board) but on other posts in answer to this question the answer is it is permanent,if so, this is so frustrating that I for one can't last like this much longer:(

......Karen............

PS This will be fun to see how long it takes for this to go on:confused:

Astrid

Our posts have crossed,I obviously don't do as well in adversity as you!;)

How is it going to get better? Is there a way for the board to get faster and to be able to actually get on the board at all any easier?

If those things are going to happen then it will get better,but surely there is nothing that can be done about them?

..........Karen...........

Give it time Karen! :)

Have faith (and keep your fingers crossed too ;) )

Astrid x

Well I dont often get involved with this type of disscusion ;)

But I have to agree with Astrid. It is very early days and as they say something is better than nothing.
We all like our Dis fix:) I think we have to give the powers that be a little more time to sort things out, as I am sure they are trying to do.

Just wanted to say that I too, agree with Astrid's comments. It would really benefit no-one if we all gave up on the boards without at least giving it some time to see if things can be improved.

I too have visited other boards in the past, but have never found one to equal the friendliness and helpfulness of the DIS.

I know it is so frustrating when you can't post when you want to etc but hopefully a solution will be found sooner rather than later.

I'm sure it is worth the effort and patience to keep our 'UK DIS Community' going. :D

Just wanted to add something again as with all due respect most of you are missing what I said in my original post.

Unless I log on in the day which is not always possible I CANNOT get any furthur than "the server is busy" message now. Yesterday I tried from about 5pm right through to the early hours and could not even see any forums, with one exception when I managed to log onto chat. I am very patient and do not want to stop posting on these boards but I really cannot see how things can improve....if they did it would be wonderful. As I said previously I look forward to posting in the evenings as that is when I have most time.

I am also just a little tired of the patronising comments that I should be grateful.....I never said I wasn't....some of you just made that assumption. How do you know what I am thinking?

Sorry to rant again but thanks for the replies that have supported me!
Wendy :)

As I've said on another thread, there are a lot of issues at stake here, and I hope people will be able to see through the short-term pain for the long-term gain. The simple fact is the Boards are getting overwhelmed on their current server, so a new server needs to be brought into the game-plan, something that will be able to handle all the extra US traffic AND give us the Uk site back. This takes a little while - and the extra costs are significant - so it is not an easy fix, hence the current frustrations. I should point out that this whole DIS site exists only through the financial input of Werner Technologies and I, for one, am grateful that we have the chance to post, albeit in a reduced manner, in the interim.

Thanks for your patience,

Simon

Simon
Just to clarify things.
I may be wrong but from the technical stuff Alex has posted its not a question of buying a bigger computer, ( if it was we could all send a donation in and buy the parts required:)) but one of the software not being capable of the job, ( read his post re look up tables and databases) the problem is NO ONE (including the company that originally wrote it) has yet been able to modify (rewrite) the software to take into account the load of 35,000 users.

Hardware probelms can be fixed buy a trip to the computer shop, software writing is a black art ;)

Waiting patiently (although having broadband I'm less affected) I do understand the frustration of some of the members.

I don't think it's the software, at least not according to this link

Hope it gets sorted soon, I've only just joined and it's driving me mad!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter