How did they get this dog into the MK?

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
I just love pics of this dog on Instagram, but how did they get her into the Magic Kingdom? She was also in the World Showcase having a drink.Screenshot_2016-02-17-15-42-56.png

I heard a couple of people talking about companion dogs/therapy dogs on our trip recently, when we saw a couple of different breeds, also.

There are other photos of the dog being "interviewed" by BuzzFeed and with a VIP badge at Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl. She seems to be a little furry celebrity. How cute!

How's this for a "service animal"?

turkey-on-a-plane.png

TeE8qfzl.jpg

If there is a dog in the parks, it has probably been entered as a service dog. A service dog has been trained to perform some sort of task that assists a person with a disability.

There isn't anything in the law about multiple dogs although it does stretch the bounds of credibility that a single disabled person would need several service dogs. Possibly there were multiple disabled persons in the group, the dogs were in training (federal law doesn't equate service dogs in training with fully trained service dogs, but local laws might), or each dog had been trained to perform a separate task to assist the same person. Because no proof is required, I guess all they can do is admit the person with 7 service dogs once they say they are all service dogs.

Therapy, comfort or emotional support animals are not service animals, as they have not been trained to perform a specific task to assist a person with a disability. Don't know whether Disney excludes emotional support animals from their parks, but they would not be required by law to admit them.

The turkey in the photo is not a service animal. It is an emotional support animal. There is a regulation that applies specifically to airlines that says they must admit emotional support animals, but the owner may be required to provide something like a note from a doctor stating they need one (with a service animal, the business cannot require any proof that the animal is actually a service animal.)

However, in actuality you can use a website to contact a "doctor" who will diagnose you based on your answers to some online questions and provide you with a letter that says you need an emotional support animal. Cost between $100-200.

If this dog is some sort of online "celebrity" it is also possible that they allowed it in for a photo shoot, like they did with the Grumpy Cat.

Last edited:
Totally off topic: I am trying to get my fat cat registered as a therapy animal so she can come visit me when I am in the hospital getting the knee replaced. (Just Kidding). I am going to miss her, she is my best friend, and I know she is going to be running around the house looking for me.

About those with multiple service dogs, they were probably being trained. They are brought to crowded areas to learn how to deal with all the stimuli and not go all "dog."

We saw a lot of those in January, and yes, they were in training. They were so adorable. Took all my will power to not run over and give them a hug because I was missing my dogs so much. I have such admiration for the service dogs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter