How Bad are the Crowds, Really?

I don't get to go to Disney World as often as I would like to, due to financial restraints. The last time I went was 6 years ago for my wife and my honeymoon. (Never will you catch me doing a June/July trip again, I can promise you that.
We love Disney World to the point where there's really only 2 or 3 other travel destinations we would want to check out! But as I watch videos on planning, living vicariously through the people who work and live close enough to go all the time, or can afford to go whenever they want, I notice in their footage how ridiculous the crowds seem to be getting. Lines going on for hours, extending well past their queue, and just shoulder to shoulder crowds of people no matter what time of year.
As someone who doesn't care for crowds (obviously you make exceptions for the most magical place on earth right?) I would hate for that to be the reason that I stop going, or never end up taking my kids when we have them.
So I guess the question is for people who go pretty often. How bad would you generally say the crowds have gotten over the past few years?
Bad

This is a great idea -- maybe Northern Texas would be the ideal mix of central location and warmer weather.
Yes.
Honestly, this approach is less and less feasible. Without some planning, you could easily end up paying $$$ and only managing two rides in a whole day, and that's not worthwhile.
They should not go up north above Tennessee weather too cold, staying south is much more desirable.

I suspect the covid 19 virus is going to affect the crowds soon, unfortunately.
My company sent out a memo yesterday that employees should not travel domestically or internationally. They are even considering shutting down for 2 - 3 weeks or longer and making everyone work remotely.

Our school just announced
My company sent out a memo yesterday that employees should not travel domestically or internationally. They are even considering shutting down for 2 - 3 weeks or longer and making everyone work remotely.
My kids' school just announced a WDW trip for the first week of May--talk about weird timing! I wonder what the chances are it will even happen.

For those talking about a 3rd US park location, I've been arguing a Texas location for years.

Somewhat centrally located, large population centers in Houston and Dallas to draw locals and minimum wage employees.

Large areas of empty land, warmer weather so the parks can stay open year round.

Many folks own that "empty land". Houston would be terrible due to the flooding that comes every 15 years, and Dallas gets too cold, there would be ice at least 1-2 times per year that would not be good for business. That being said, I would love a Disney in Texas, but we would likely still drive to the World even as Texans because 4 parks is so much more magical than 1 or two.
I went to Texas A&M in College Station, TX and there used to always be rumors floating around about Disney opening another park in the area. College Station is located in the middle of the triangle made between Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. I don't think it would ever happen but would be great for the central Texas economy. I would say the weather is very similar to Florida (hot and humid in the summer, winter is all over the place, hurricanes are present but not as bad that far inland). Land is not that cheap though. There is a piece of land (32000 acres) for sale between College Station and Austin with an asking price of $250 million.

I heard that rumor too, but like you said- unless they look in the Valley, the land is too expensive in Central Texas...but they can afford it.

I think maybe those that go every year notice the crowds a little more than those of us that can't...but we are going to avoid Feb/March again because the crowds were huge when we went. We will try June this time (only due to other people's schedules) and then try and brave the September heat if we plan a 2022 trip.

We got the "travel ban" email yesterday at work. Of course, being in healthcare, working remotely isn't an option for us.

We also got an email today looking for extra people able to work this weekend if the sites are swamped (I work in Urgent Care). The first case of COVID-19 in town was announced today. The patient isn't in one of our hospitals but is in the other local hospital so the expectation is that everybody with a sniffle will be running to urgent care to get checked out. I volunteered to work on Sunday if needed.

My 2 cents is go based on when its most convenient for your family, not when you "think" its gonna be least crowded. Everyone is obsessed with finding "the best" time to go... its different for everyone... here's why:

At "slow" times they cut hours, refurb rides, and reduce capacity making lines longer and everything "feels" more crowded. Also people read everything on the internet before their trips, so its not necessarily low crowds anymore. Homeschool families and families who pull their kids outta school go during this time because "the internet said it wasnt crowded" so they expect the closed deserted theme park from Griswald's family vacation and complain when there are other people at Disney. (January, February, September, Early Dec)

If you hate the heat avoid June-September... We are southerners and everytime we have gone in the summer, it feels like home (HOT) but we are at Disney so Heat be darned... Epcot is the least crowded in summer when there are no festivals...its empty. The other have very moderate crowds. Of all the times of year we have visited, I feel like summer is the new low season. People show up at 9 or 10 and "flame out" by mid afternoon. If you are a southerner go in the summer and watch those Northerners evaporate after the 3PM parade. Or... TAKE A BREAK and come back in the evening.

If you want to go during Spring Break, DO IT! Weather is mild, and you are on spring break flower and Garden is Awesome at Epcot but will be more crowded, luckily most Flower and Garden attractions dont require lines (except for the food booths around lunch and dinner) I think this is the best Epcot Festival for kids. They love looking at the flowers, topiaries, and butterfly house, and you dont need to wait in lines. The weather is milder too so they don't overheat.

If you want to do Holidays, Great! Christmas is magical The parks have very long hours. They are open very early and very late. Its crowded, but the word is out that the holidays are crowded so they seem to be a little less so. We have gotten the most done ever at Disney on Dec 23rd. The park opened at 7AM. It was empty. We rode 15-16 rides in 4.5 hours then watched the Christmas parade (no party ticket required) and ate lunch (longest line of the day) before leaving around 1PM.

If you can go in the fall, great! Crowds fluctuate based on school holidays and various events. Food and Wine at Epcot will be slammed on weekends and very... Sloppy. Not just at night but it gets worse the later it is. Lots of Drinkers, Bachelor/ Bachelorette parties, drink around the world groups. Definitely an adult atmosphere. Kids are always welcome, but I would head home early or switch parks after lunchtime unless you like watching drunks/ people leave food trash everywhere. (Also Summer in the South lasts until Oct-Nov so lots of burned/ dehydrated folks at Epcot) Weekdays are often less crowded property wide unless there is an event or a particular holiday.

The point is, have a smart plan, arrive early and be flexible. Disney has learned that cutting back hours saves money and lets them sell an extra set of tickets for after hours events (no more Freebie 2 AM closings of yesteryear). Those days in the early 2000's after 9/11 or early 2010's after the financial collapse when you could just roll up and do whatever are gone (for now). People remember only their good Disney trips of the past on these boards but forget all of the rough stuff going on in the real world because we got thru it. The Coronovirus has the chance to be the next thing that scares people away from the parks. Embrace the wild, wonderful craziness that is WDW. :flower1:

Last edited:
Homeschool families
I think this is a factor that's often overlooked. Homeschooling is a much bigger population than it ever was before. There are somewhere around 2.5 million homeschooled kids in the US. These are families that are free to travel any time at all, not restricted to the traditional school calendar and holiday schedule. They can make their spring or winter break whenever they want it to be.

We got the "travel ban" email yesterday at work. Of course, being in healthcare, working remotely isn't an option for us.

We also got an email today looking for extra people able to work this weekend if the sites are swamped (I work in Urgent Care). The first case of COVID-19 in town was announced today. The patient isn't in one of our hospitals but is in the other local hospital so the expectation is that everybody with a sniffle will be running to urgent care to get checked out. I volunteered to work on Sunday if needed.
The news just announced our state’s first case who is an employee at the hospital where I work. Since no one has called me from work today, I assume I haven’t been in contact with her. Self quarantine is the expectation.

DH’s work just banned all international travel. And this year he was one of the people picked to go on the annual “winners” all-expense paid trip to a nice resort in the Caribbean. It was to be early April, but it was cancelled and not rescheduled. We get to keep our flights since they were already paid for, but a bummer about the all inclusive resort, snorkeling, zip lining, etc that were part of the package. We’re planning to go anyway since I already arranged the PTO, but we’ll rent a car and stay at an air BnB. Fingers crossed I don’t end up in quarantine before that.

EPCOT yesterday 3-9pm Crowds were lighter than they have been all winter. Wait time for Soarin was only 30 minutes You could almost walk right onto Space ship Earth, similar low wait time at Test Track.
Most of the people were back in World Showcase......Altho' eating and drinking lines there seemed shorter than in the past weeks.
Observances:
Finger entry and showing ID's No sanitizer on hand after entry to parks until you find a bathroom. How many fingers are on those kiosks daily?????
How many times are you in and out of your wallet for $$, charge card, ID?
Maybe people are washing their hands more after bathroom use but definitely not washing after phone use. People constantly on their phones even while eating.
People definitely do NOT sanitize their phones and these are surfaces where the virus could remain for hours.
If you dwelled on it, it could make you crazy...…………......

News out of Florida this am is that Floridians can't miss work due to illness due to not having paid sick days so it is an extreme hardship to miss work when sick as they won't get paid. I think this is a consideration and concern for many Americans not just Floridians and therefore needs to be addressed. How do you quarantine then if you are sick and display flu symptoms. Going to work to "pass it on" is the only option for some????
I applaud companies who are asking their employees to work from home where they can. This includes NASA, Facebook, Apple. 👏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter