• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad are security lines?

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
First trip in 9 years! My shorts don't have deep secure pockets. I don't want my son to have to carry my stuff in his pockets-
Are bag check lines really that bad? Is one from Contemporary walkway easier? I was going to take a cross body purse but if lines are bad was looking at Running Buddy magnetic waist pocket to wear under clothes and avoid line? Just have phone and lipgloss -

All depends on arrival time and how thorough they are being that day. I've walked right up before and been done with bag check in 10 seconds. I've also been in a line of 30 people and had to wait close to 20 minutes. Most of the time it only takes a few minutes at most. If you get there during morning rush the lines can back up quite a bit.

If you make this mistake of getting there during the morning rush at even a moderate day, the lines are awful. Even without having any bags to check to figure out what line to get took forever. This was our first experience of going with morning extra magic when we were offsite. DS wanted to see evening fireworks, but not do a party and that was the only day that worked with our plans. // Being one of the first people for rope drop makes such a difference

First trip in 9 years! My shorts don't have deep secure pockets. I don't want my son to have to carry my stuff in his pockets-
Are bag check lines really that bad? Is one from Contemporary walkway easier? I was going to take a cross body purse but if lines are bad was looking at Running Buddy magnetic waist pocket to wear under clothes and avoid line? Just have phone and lipgloss -
I've visited several times in the past few years and have never had bag check take more than a few minutes. Bypassing it is more of a psychological advantage ("I got to skip that line!"), than a practical advantage.

Loved my running belt last trip. Lines were so varied. Worst lines were getting on the monorail at the Deluxe resorts. The Polly was really bad.

During my visit in mid-June, the lines were very manageable. I never had to spend longer than 5 minutes going through security checks. Usually less than 3 minutes from the back of the line through clearing the metal detectors.

For data points, I went through bag check at the walkway from the resort buses and Contemporary, Epcot World Showcase, Epcot Main Gate, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios.

Everyone can do their part and unzip their bags (including all pockets) when setting them on the table.

I was going to take a cross body purse but if lines are bad was looking at Running Buddy magnetic waist pocket to wear under clothes and avoid line? Just have phone and lipgloss -

You may be asked to go through the metal detector, so you'd need to remove the Running Buddy if selected.

It all depends on the number of pockets in the bag you are carrying. My backpack had a ton of pockets and it took about 2 minutes depending on the person looking in it. The lines are not too bad at all and will not delay you. For MK, getting there very early is not an issue any more. With the Hub open, you are fine at MK.

I always carry a bag and so does my husband. We have never had more than a 5-10 minute wait (ten minutes being very extreme for us) and we've been over 60 times. Just be prepared by having the bag off your should/hip, all pockets (on the bag) opened and ready to go. Also, check who is in the line before you and if you need to, change lanes to get to one where people are as prepared as you. However, if you do get behind someone who has a huge backpack with the next week's laundry in there, be polite and let the guards do their job.

Also, organize the stuff in your bag by putting it into Zip loc bags. It makes it easier for security to search it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter