House lease issue with cat ....

JodiR

DIS Veteran
My dd and 3 other friends lease a house while in college. Lease started in June. One of the girls decided to get a cat. She signed a lease stating that she is going to have a cat. Not sure if it was an amended lease or not.

My dd does not want a cat living with her. She did not agree to this. Shouldn't the other 3 girls have to agree before this can happen? Wouldn't they need to sign the amended lease also? :confused3

Yes. If her lease says no pets, she can get out of it if the roommate gets a cat. They should all agree on getting a pet or not out of mutual consideration, anyway.

My dd and 3 other friends lease a house while in college. Lease started in June. One of the girls decided to get a cat. She signed a lease stating that she is going to have a cat. Not sure if it was an amended lease or not.

My dd does not want a cat living with her. She did not agree to this. Shouldn't the other 3 girls have to agree before this can happen? Wouldn't they need to sign the amended lease also? :confused3

Are all of their names on the lease, or is one girl's name on the lease?

Are all of their names on the lease, or is one girl's name on the lease?

All 4 girl's names are on the lease. The parents even had to sign if their daughter had never leased before.

The girl who is getting the cat signed the amended lease saying she was getting a cat. The original lease said no pets.

Have your daughter call the landlord and tell him she does not agree to the amended lease. Have her tell him she will be leaving and wants her security deposit back. See how much longer that cat stays.

I hate cats and am allergic to them. Can't imagine how ballistic I'd go if someone moved one in!

All 4 girl's names are on the lease. The parents even had to sign if their daughter had never leased before.

The girl who is getting the cat signed the amended lease saying she was getting a cat. The original lease said no pets.

Then is seems that yes, the others can get out of the lease. It is really odd that she wouldn't discuss the cat first with the other girls. Are they not friendly?

I'm not a lawyer or anything, I just know that when my husband and I signed a lease, we both had to sign when we adopted our kitty to add her to the lease as a pet.

If my husband refused to sign the amendment (for example) then the lease amendment would be invalid since we are both on the lease. (Of course if he didn't sign, he'd be sleeping in the car but that is another story. ;) )

Makes me wonder whether the landlord is REALLY aware there is a cat. Most landlords specify NO PETS for a reason...they want NO pets. Has your DD actually SEEN this so-called "amended" lease? And, if they all signed the original, they would ALL have to sign the amended lease. This whole scenario makes no sense to me...which makes me wonder whether the roommate is just saying the landlord gave permission, KWIM? Another thing to think about is since they are all on the lease, they would all be responsible (theoretically) for any damage that exists in the place when they leave...cats can be quite destructive.

:scared1: I think that the parents and girls who signed are joint and severally liable. So one girl could get a cat that pees in the house, and the parent with the deepest pockets--whether it's that girl's parent or not--could be liable for any damage.

Yep, call landlord now and get out of that situation! I would not want a roommate who is so blantantly RUDE. I love cats however this does not bode well for the future.

Run away from this and never look back.:scared:

Not that I advocate lying but I would say I am allergic to cats. Technically will probably not be a lie because I am sure the girl will not do extra cleaning or cat care which will cause allergies, based upon how she tried to be sneaky about this. Her character as a person is now called into question.

I would think since the original lease didn't have pets, that she could get out since the agreement was altered.

I love cats, but If somebody doesn't want to live with one, they shouldn't have to.

Then is seems that yes, the others can get out of the lease. It is really odd that she wouldn't discuss the cat first with the other girls. Are they not friendly?

I'm not a lawyer or anything, I just know that when my husband and I signed a lease, we both had to sign when we adopted our kitty to add her to the lease as a pet.

If my husband refused to sign the amendment (for example) then the lease amendment would be invalid since we are both on the lease. (Of course if he didn't sign, he'd be sleeping in the car but that is another story. ;) )

The girl didn't tell anyone she was getting a cat until just now (2 months later). My dd has not seen the amended lease.

Yep, call landlord now and get out of that situation! I would not want a roommate who is so blantantly RUDE. I love cats however this does not bode well for the future.

Run away from this and never look back.:scared:

Not that I advocate lying but I would say I am allergic to cats. Technically will probably not be a lie because I am sure the girl will not do extra cleaning or cat care which will cause allergies, based upon how she tried to be sneaky about this. Her character as a person is now called into question.

I just got off the phone with the landlord. She just said if there was any problems to let her know. :confused3

This girl has already caused problems. She won't pay $3 a month for the DVR but records shows as she wants.

Oh ick. I am just not a cat lover.

And - the landlord is just blowing you off - with that particular answer.

Can I ask a really odd question - does your DD have a fully signed copy of the original lease? I'm just wondering if the "amendments" got made AFTER some of the girls/parents signed it?

Let the college aged adults work out their roommate problems. Unless the parents name is on the lease, they need to stay out of it. We wonder why college graduates can't seem to handle a job, it's usually because their parents did everything for them.

Is fixing a bad roommate situation difficult? Yes. Should mom and dad be involved? Not unless THEIR name is on the lease.mthese are adults here, and we are talking about a cat. Seriously, people. Small potatoes. Not paying 3 bucks for a dvr? These are problems college aged adults can work out on their own.

In Ontario, a no pet clause is 100% UN-enforcable. You can sign it, and then move in with your 2 Great Danes and 3 kitties, and 4 birds and no one can do or say anything about it.

sounds like typical roommate problems though. first real life challenge.

Let the college aged adults work out their roommate problems. Unless the parents name is on the lease, they need to stay out of it. We wonder why college graduates can't seem to handle a job, it's usually because their parents did everything for them.

Is fixing a bad roommate situation difficult? Yes. Should mom and dad be involved? Not unless THEIR name is on the lease.mthese are adults here, and we are talking about a cat. Seriously, people. Small potatoes. Not paying 3 bucks for a dvr? These are problems college aged adults can work out on their own.

:thumbsup2

I'm wondering your DD's relationship with the other girls that she would call the landlord before talking to everyone first. Way to start off on the wrong foot with her room mates. Is she prepared to find a new place to live if they don't care about the cat? And pick the cat over her?

I'm also confused why you are making all the calls? I would leave it up to my DD to be the one making the calls. It is her apt and her room mates. Why isn't she dealing with this.

I can't imagine calling for my DD over a room mate problem, and calling the landlord before telling the room mates? Wow, I predict finding a new place to live or a very frosty environment. I know I would be very annoyed if a room mate of mine had their mommy call and go over my head.

Welcome to the world of college roomates. The girls should work this out. This is small potatoes(unless it's a health hazard) compared to what some of my roomates pulled. Seriously. We had cats, dogs, boys, unknowns...all unwanted by someone. We all got locks on our doors and I had a small fridge in my room. One night, I had to beat this guy over the head with my tennis raquet while he attempted to crawl through my roomates bedroom window. He had climbed up a tree. Turned out she knew him. He was injured. I didn't care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter