• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels being booked and canceled?

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
Eta: so much availability has come and gone since this post, o finally got exactly what I wanted!

I am trying to book a trip for about 65 days out, zero availability for the days I need.

Same thing happened over the summer about 80 days out, and then about 40 days out all of a sudden tons of availability. But by then I made other plans and patched together what I wanted.

Are people booking and a canceling that much? Or are people booking for dining and then canceling? I cannot imagine there is zero rooms available for Jersey week already?!?!?

Last edited:
Are people booking and a canceling that much? Or are people booking for dining and then canceling? I cannot imagine there is zero rooms available for Jersey week already?!?!?
No but there are many guests that have multiple booking and cancel just before the 30 day mark.

However Jersey week is a very busy time due to how everything happens:

Epcot Food & Wine is running longer this year
Disney Marathon weekend 4-6 (5K, 10K, Marathon)
Election day is Tuesday Nov. 8
Disney MVMCP first parties start Nov. 8 and 10th
Veterans day is on a Friday Nov. 11 (long weekend...)

Dave

Yeah, people book and cancel that much
Plus, people cancel enough that it opens up additional dates around the dates you are looking when can free up additional space to allow for more trips of your size. Disney's booking algorithm is bonkers and sometimes even if they have a spot for your stay, if it leaves an orphan room it may not show a spot available for you to book. If someone cancels a stay that opens up additional nights so your stay no longer leaves an orphan room it will suddenly allow your stay, even though the other cancellation didn't have anything to do with your actual dates, if that makes any sense in writing.

I am trying to book a trip for about 65 days out, zero availability for the days I need.

Same thing happened over the summer about 80 days out, and then about 40 days out all of a sudden tons of availability. But by then I made other plans and patched together what I wanted.

Jersey week has long been known to be crazy just for hotels so that answer could be yes. If the kinda pattern for the last year or so holds stuff should start moving about a month out. I’ve done a couple trips this year where I’ve watched for rooms, mid-May a trickle of rooms showed up a month out, mid-Sept freaking floodgates opened a month out.

My advice is book the refundable off-site you are good with, keep an eye out for the on-site you want.

There is also a debate between Disney releasing all rooms & folks cancelling vs Disney holding back rooms. I’ve read here they hold convention rooms until 30 days out. Given the never ending staffing problems I’ve seen at their hotels, I also believe the theory Disney doesn’t release all inventory until they know they can staff it.

At the end of the day
-no one outside of Disney currently knows why inventory is non-existent for months then flooded one month out
-Jersey Week may or may not follow this pattern

Last edited:

No but there are many guests that have multiple booking and cancel just before the 30 day mark.

However Jersey week is a very busy time due to how everything happens:

Epcot Food & Wine is running longer this year
Disney Marathon weekend 4-6 (5K, 10K, Marathon)
Election day is Tuesday Nov. 8
Disney MVMCP first parties start Nov. 8 and 10th
Veterans day is on a Friday Nov. 11 (long weekend...)

Dave

Plus, people cancel enough that it opens up additional dates around the dates you are looking when can free up additional space to allow for more trips of your size. Disney's booking algorithm is bonkers and sometimes even if they have a spot for your stay, if it leaves an orphan room it may not show a spot available for you to book. If someone cancels a stay that opens up additional nights so your stay no longer leaves an orphan room it will suddenly allow your stay, even though the other cancellation didn't have anything to do with your actual dates, if that makes any sense in writing.

Jersey week has long been known to be crazy just for hotels so that answer could be yes. If the kinda pattern for the last year or so holds stuff should start moving about a month out. I’ve done a couple trips this year where I’ve watched for rooms, mid-May a trickle of rooms showed up a month out, mid-Sept freaking floodgates opened a month out.

My advice is book the refundable off-site you are good with, keep an eye out for the on-site you want.

There is also a debate between Disney releasing all rooms & folks cancelling vs Disney holding back rooms. I’ve read here they hold convention rooms until 30 days out. Given the never ending staffing problems I’ve seen at their hotels, I also believe the theory Disney doesn’t release all inventory until they know they can staff it.

At the end of the day
-no one outside of Disney currently knows why inventory is non-existent for months then flooded one month out
-Jersey Week may or may not follow this pattern

Thanks!

Makes sense luckily I have a problem where I book way in advance and then about 2 months out want to change everything, so I'm not with out a room.

I do have a friend who is considering going who may have a problem, but I guess we will cross that bridge then!

I find it really annoying that there is so little inventory and then close to the date stuff opens up. Guess it’s good I’m a planner….

Then there is also the problem of the Disney website not working properly. I have been having a lot of problems lately with it showing no inventory at all on property, but if I switch to a different browser or to a Private window I can see inventory.

Then there is also the problem of the Disney website not working properly. I have been having a lot of problems lately with it showing no inventory at all on property, but if I switch to a different browser or to a Private window I can see inventory.

I needed 2 nights at French Q. for early Dec. 0 available. I put in 5 days and what do you know AVAILABLE. So I booked 5 and have to call and cancel the unneeded days..ridiculous.

I needed 2 nights at French Q. for early Dec. 0 available. I put in 5 days and what do you know AVAILABLE. So I booked 5 and have to call and cancel the unneeded days..ridiculous.
I never knew you could do that. Is there ever an issue cancelling some nights in the booking?

Its not an official "policy" like 5 night minimum ..they just have the system optimized for their preferred bookings.
I needed to call to remove the extra but no problem. Just a hassle.

I never knew you could do that. Is there ever an issue cancelling some nights in the booking?

You'll read reports from people like the PP where that worked successfully, but I wouldn't take it as an absolute given. Plenty also report being unable to modify to remove days, even when escalated to guest services. Ultimately YMMV so I'd be prepared to be flexible.

I have been watching early December resorts (Dec 7-10 to be exact). A lot of rooms including CL opened up, different days, at all Deluxe resorts. First Poly, then CR, then GF, BC and YC as well. Either a lot of people canceled Deluxe/CL stays, or Disney held some. :confused3

Yes. There are issues doing this
never assume it will work
the CM that answers your call can’t usually do it. They have to escalate to a higher level and technically your request can be denied. Officially there is supposed to be a second stay of your exact dates open to move you to. You need them to make an exception for you

I can! One of the busiest weeks at WDW (a week I won't ever go) and I know my family in NJ are all now traveling non-stop (making up for lost time). Any of those NJ folks that have delayed WDW are likely booking and did so as soon as they could.

I can! One of the busiest weeks at WDW (a week I won't ever go) and I know my family in NJ are all now traveling non-stop (making up for lost time). Any of those NJ folks that have delayed WDW are likely booking and did so as soon as they could.

I agree. We are going to be there that week and I booked Nov. 22 2021 for a trip on Nov. 8, 2022 and the Polynesian was already totally booked.

What is considered an orphan room?

The algorithms are wonky. I had a stay this summer and I couldn't get BWI for my 6 nights, could only do 5. I however was able to book that 6th night individually, but for whatever reason couldn't book all 6 together.

What is considered an orphan room?
A room night that is not bookable as part of a longer stay. It may be 1 room night or 2 room nights during a week that are not continuous during the week. Disney's reservation system has a bias built into to prefer a Sunday - Saturday stays.

The system does not like reservations that leave out Friday or Saturday nights. The system also does also not like mid-week booking like Tue-Wed-Thru.

Once you get to the 5 day window 1 and 2 days options tend to pop up.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter