Hotel Occupancy : Disney Wants Less?

We drove to Gatlinburg in December. Had a great trip. It was quite busy. We flew to Denver in May and my husband swore he never wanted to fly again. Too stressful

For those that work at hotels and say that your hotel would never try to discourage people from staying there, remember, Disney is not just a hotel company. Of course they make money by people staying there, but they are also walking a tight rope when it comes to staffing numbers for the amount of people at hotels. More occupancy means more people to hire and more space needed. Here is the quote I saw from the Disney executive.

"when you see occupancy in that kind of range, you are getting close to pretty much a full house and those were historically the numbers at which we started to think about expanded capacity."

Now, if Disney can't expand occupancy, what else can they do? Based on what we have seen so far, it's raise rates higher than they have ever been, offer less discounts, remove some perks that cost money, and live with whatever people decide it's too much and won't stay. Keep in mind, they didn't have the staff to take care of that many people either. I actually think that's why you see so many rooms available now. I think they are releasing them as they staff up and can handle them.

After 25+ years of enjoying Disney I have only one more time I am going to give them money. Daughter will be competing in College Cheer Competition. Have had enough of the less for more. Had enough of the perks for staying on site evaporating. Last time in Florida! One more time in Cali and then a trip to Japan. And then done with the corporate greed that is Disney. Let's face it. Disney will say they have investors to answer to but let's be serious, More of the profits probably go to the myriad of upper management Presidents, Vice Presidents, CEO CFO and so forth and so on (% wise) than to the stockholders. If Walt were alive he would be sick to his stomach over the games this company plays to seperate hard working people, looking to enjoy some time with their children, from their money. He did not create the idea of a fantasy land for people to enjoy just to seperate them from their money. He created it for people to enjoy. You could always see it in his face when he was watching children enjoy themselves. It is kind of a shame.

First DVC is a timeshare and if not running at 100% capacity (minus rooms held for breakage) someone is losing money and it is not Disney.......
Disney is a corporation and will raise prices until people stop paying them period. No matter what one speculates because of a bad economy, a pandemic, people will not pay that anything one can think of.. prices will go up until attendance starts to go way down. Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida has been and still is a cash cow for the Disney corporation.
To back to DVC as above if not 100% occupied someone is losing money... Disney can close a cash a resort as the did during the height of Coronavirus and keep the DVC reports open and still make a profit. (yes the DVC resorts closed as well for a short time) he amount of DVC is no accident there was a huge demand there still is and by the number of DVC rooms and guests that have to stay they will make money no matter the park hours amount of rides open the food prices etc. If a DVC member trades points to for any reason or loses points those points are turned over to CRO to use at any time as was the reason so many people were "upgraded" to DVC resorts in the past months because X resort was closed.
No matter what Disney says the reasoning for pricing, "we want less guests and will charge more per capita for a better experience" is the latest, one is left with a decision to spend their vacation money at Disney or spend it somewhere else or better for Disney go half as much forgoing vacations in between and pay twice as much.
We have owned DVC for 18 years go at least once a year... Before DVC we paid for hotels back to the early 90's and as kids my wife was going in the early 70's when the Poly and Cont. where the only hotels, of course I think prices are getting a bit out of control.

First DVC is a timeshare and if not running at 100% capacity (minus rooms held for breakage) someone is losing money and it is not Disney.......
Disney is a corporation and will raise prices until people stop paying them period. No matter what one speculates because of a bad economy, a pandemic, people will not pay that anything one can think of.. prices will go up until attendance starts to go way down. Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida has been and still is a cash cow for the Disney corporation.
To back to DVC as above if not 100% occupied someone is losing money... Disney can close a cash a resort as the did during the height of Coronavirus and keep the DVC reports open and still make a profit. (yes the DVC resorts closed as well for a short time) he amount of DVC is no accident there was a huge demand there still is and by the number of DVC rooms and guests that have to stay they will make money no matter the park hours amount of rides open the food prices etc. If a DVC member trades points to for any reason or loses points those points are turned over to CRO to use at any time as was the reason so many people were "upgraded" to DVC resorts in the past months because X resort was closed.
No matter what Disney says the reasoning for pricing, "we want less guests and will charge more per capita for a better experience" is the latest, one is left with a decision to spend their vacation money at Disney or spend it somewhere else or better for Disney go half as much forgoing vacations in between and pay twice as much.
We have owned DVC for 18 years go at least once a year... Before DVC we paid for hotels back to the early 90's and as kids my wife was going in the early 70's when the Poly and Cont. where the only hotels, of course I think prices are getting a bit out of control.
Interesting thoughts. But technically, if the property isn't 100% occupied it doesn't really matter. We've already paid the cost of those rooms, even if nobody is in them.

And just to clarify the above statement, I'm talking about both the cost to build (covered by our point purchase) and the cost to operate (covered by our dues).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter