• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hop Dee Doo Revue or Midieval Times

mrsmomo

DIS Veteran
Going on a not so long trip but would like to fit in a Dinner show....

Hop Dee Doo Revue or an offsite Medieval Times....

Which is better and why?!

Or if you have only been to one please share your opinion on that one. We are a group with ages ranging from a few months to mid 60's and quite a few numbers in between!!!

If this is not in the right forum feel free to move it I wasn't sure where to put it.

I haven't been to HDDR.

We love Medieval Times here (we went to the one in FL years ago...it was fun as well).
If you aren't big alcohol drinkers, Medieval Times can be way cheaper. I can almost always find coupons for Medieval Times. Of course, you don't get the booze included at MT.

If you want to go back to a park that night, I don't recommend MT.

Two totally different experiences. Medieval Times was fun, but I would choose HDDR any day. I would say the food was comparable between the experiences (i.e., not great). If the majority of your group is adults, I would say HDDR would be more enjoyable. However, my cousins, who were 6 & 9 at the time, absolutely LOVED Medieval Times - so I think it really depends on who would be going.

First off, I've done MT twice and only read/watched reviews of HDDR, but here's what I've got:

Food at HDDR seems better - I've heard positive things about it, and was never really excited about the food at MT, plus the whole eat-with-your-hands thing turns me off at MT. If you've got younger ones in the party, it seems like HDDR may be more fun because it's more interactive, and probably more consistently energetic. MT seems to have down time where you're just watching guys on horses... do stuff. No real story line, dialogue, singing (well, no singing at all at MT) to speak of.

Hope that helps!

Thanks I'm still in the air with it.

Definitely would not go to a park after, there are 3 kids one will be an infant.... The other two love horses and are 11 & 4.

The rest are adults no real drinkers in the crew, But I was worried about MT with an infant?! I don't know how comfortable it would be!

We went to MT years ago and I wouldn't go back. I tend to get irritated when I'm at touristy spots that constantly take your picture and then ask for money for them. They did this twice at MT and also tried to pawn some other souvenirs off on us.

...I was worried about MT with an infant?! I don't know how comfortable it would be!

From my experience there, most [all?] seats are long rows of tables facing the performance area, so getting up and out of the seating area would be difficult for you and a little obtrusive to other guests, so probably not the best scenario if/when the little one needs a break.

From my experience there, most [all?] seats are long rows of tables facing the performance area, so getting up and out of the seating area would be difficult for you and a little obtrusive to other guests, so probably not the best scenario if/when the little one needs a break.

This is what I was thinking, the 11 and 4 yr old would absolutely love it but as for the other 5 of us..... especially with one being an infant and one being my mother I'm just not sure it is worth it for the rest of us

We have done Medieval Times (have not done HDDR) - my boys were 4 and 6 years old and absolutely LOVED it when we went (the Myrtle Beach castle). I don't think I'd do it with an infant, though. The long tables facing the arena wouldn't be very comfortable with a small baby. The food was OK - not great, but not terrible, either.

Ive done both!!

While both are definitely enjoyable we much prefer HDR. The food is better, the show is better, and the antics are better!!!

There is a fairly significant price difference...you can get MT tix wholesale on certain auction sites...no discounts really available for HDR unless you count sitting high up at a late show. Its totally worth it to sit on the ground level, though I won't deny the seating is VERY crowded (at both venues actually). Though we had fun at MT, I really don't have a burning urge to go back....however, my OLDER kids have asked several times if we can do HDR again and told me how much fun they had! Would love a repeat!!!

I think I have decided on neither lol! Maybe I will change my mind but I think I will save one or the other for another trip where my baby is bigger and my parents aren't with me! The more I think about it the more I talk myself out of both!!:rotfl2:

I know you decided on neither.. but I wanted to say that we did Medieval Times when we visited last Spring! Never done Hoop Dee Doo, so I'm no help there.

There were 6 of us, ages 2, 5, 7, 9, 37, and 37. Now, we got a buy one get one free on the tickets and because it was DD's birthday, we got the birthday package so we ALL got a free picture. Pictures are optional, BTW.. We also got these really nice booklets about the show and a little banner that we waved around to cheer on our knight.

There is a really cool Medieval village replica on site that you can walk around.. if you have anyone who enjoys history, then it is totally worth a look! I was more interested in it then the kids were. There were people there to answer questions. I especially liked the "torture room" where I told my kids that is what happened to little girls and boys who were naughty.. :rotfl2: It was completely free to walk through the village and a nice way to pass the time while waiting.

We were seated right in the front row. My DD was chosen as queen of the tournament which both embarrassed and thrilled her to pieces! :) The show itself was wonderful! The horses were beautiful, it was entertaining, and yes.. it is obviously choreographed but it is still very exciting! We ALL enjoyed it!

Hubs and I got some sangria and a couple of mixed drinks. Our drinks came in these nice cups which we brought home with us and the kids still use them 6 months later. Expensive, but tasty. The food.. I liked that they had vegetarian options for the kids and I. The food was just so-so. Not great, but not horrible. Hubs had the regular meat filled meal and he said it was just okay.

Yes, it was expensive, but with the deal we got on the tickets, I think it was worth it. Our 2 year old even sat still through the whole thing! It is very interactive and there isn't a dull moment at all!

There was a family sitting behind us with a much older couple with them (grandparents, maybe??) and they seemed to be having a great time cheering on their knight! Everyone really got into it and it was fun!

That said, we aren't going to go again on our next visit. We enjoyed it and are glad to have had the experience.. and we may go again sometime.. but there are some other things we want to try and experience instead.

I've been to both, MT in California and Hoop Dee Do...although you decided to do neither, I would choose Hoop Dee Do hands down. We sat up in the balcony, which for our group was fine. The crowd interaction is way better than MT. MT felt very touristy, whereas HDDR felt like going to a dinner theater in the Old West.
I love horses, I work with horses, and MT was fun and probably worth the money, HDDR was entertaining, fun, and I enjoyed the food. I also felt it was worth every penny. Plus the server at HDDR was great! I would pay to see HDDR again...I probably wouldn't pay to see MT again.

Thanks I'm still in the air with it.

Definitely would not go to a park after, there are 3 kids one will be an infant.... The other two love horses and are 11 & 4.

The rest are adults no real drinkers in the crew, But I was worried about MT with an infant?! I don't know how comfortable it would be!

I have been to both and must say once was enough for MT for me...not a fan of eating with my fingers (no silverware there) and the food was just ok. I also think with the long table that it would be hard with an infant.
HDDR is awesome! If they are horse lovers it is right next to the Disney stables where they keep all the Disney horses...pretty nice to see:) and pony rides too.

Just back and went to the Hoop De Do on 10/4 second show. Floor section, third tables back from the stage. The show was as the various threads describe - Silly and generally fun.

LOVED the water launch boat ride from CR over. Great fun!

Once there, the wait outside not so much love. No real line, just lots of people milling about, as there were several other activities taking place in front of/beside the locale. We asked if we were supposed to check in, and were told to find the back of the line and get in it. We, along with many others, were not too successful in making that happen, and like all the people around us, did not have the required "slip" to get in, and had to start again. I do not like being barked at. Once inside, the service was poor. Our drinks were never refilled. The cornbread was good (Unlimited to us means at least one refill!). The food on paper was good - we love ribs and fried chicken. Our bowl of chicken was 6 fried wings, one drumstick and one breast. The ribs were good. The corn was cold.

Usually love this type of thing - but was not too impressed. Either a bad night or what but we wouldn't repeat this, especially at the price.

I've done HDR and I had a great time. It was a great show and they interact with the crowd well. We sat on the 2nd floor and they didn't shy away from it, they talked to people downstairs and upstairs so sitting up there wasn't bad. The food was good, it was what I call "comfort" food, so it's nothing too out there that your kids, you, or your parents would complain about. I highly recommend it, and I think it just adds to the Disney experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter