Hoop Dee Doo?

vicky33006

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

So I am the sole planner for a trip in March for my sister (26), DS (6), step-sister (40), step-sister's DH (52), and their son (9). Except for me, this is everyone's first trip. I've only been once ten years ago, so I consider myself a mostly first-timer as well.

Anyway, I'm trying to plan ADRs and I've been trying to work with the family on this. It seems the only feedback I get is when they don't like something I've chosen. Besides that, they don't want much to do with planning :sad2:

So here are the ADRs I was able to get them to agree on. BTW, I know some of these don't serve the best food, but we have some VERY picky eaters and because it's the boys' first trip we want a lot of experience for them as well:

Chef Mickey's
T-Rex
Sci-Fi
Tusker House
Hollywood and Vine (F! package)

I also want to add Hoop Dee Doo to our line up. My step-sister and her DH disagree because it's 2 TS credits and we are on the DDP. I think we can either pay OOP for one TS meal or just eat QS one day to save some money.

So, in your opinion..is HDDR worth it? I think it looks like a blast for everyone, not just the kids. We are going during spring break and expect the parks to be very busy, so I thought this would be a nice night to get away from the parks...but is it worth it? Should I keep trying to convince them?

If they still say no should I book the ADR for just DS and me and let them fend for themselves for a night? :rotfl: OK, I probably wouldn't do that.

What do you guys think? Good restaurant for a first trip and a good time for everyone or no?

Thanks!

We enjoyed it based on the experience but the food is average. If using 2 TS credits is the biggest concern it may be tough to convince them for average food. Have you looked at the Garden Grill (I believe it still rotates and character) or Mexico in Epcot?

Happy planning and enjoy your trip!!

We try to go to HDDR as often as we can, and have been doing it since our kids were younger than yours. I think it is something that everyone should experience at least once. Tell the adults about the 'all you care to drink' beer, wine and sangria. That ought to do the trick.

You could probably easily pay for Sci Fi OOP.

And if they still don't want to go, then book it for yourself and your son. Let them eat at whatever other ADR you have. It's your vacation too, and there is no law that says that you have to be joined at the hip for the entire trip. Actually, having BTDT, sometimes a little time apart so folks can do their own thing is a really, really good thing.

It's a family favorite through 3 generations of ages. We don't do dining plans but we feel Hoop is a great experience and worth the price.

And having done several family trips with a lot of adults, I'm also a firm believer in planning separate activities and taking a break from one another.

I would do HDDMR.....it is a nice getaway from the parks.....Also if you book for an early show you can then go over to Chip and Dale's Campfire and make smores and watch a movie....great way to spend a night away from the parks!! I book it almost everytime I go and the kids love making smores and watching a movie afterward.

HDDR is one of my family's favorite events on the planet, and our only MUST-DO dinner every trip! We highly recommend it and agree that it is fun for people of all ages. I have been with people ages 1.5-80, and it is a favorite of all!

That said, if members of your party are resistent, it's probably not a good idea to "try to convince them." If they go in with a bad attitude, it might not be so much fun for them, and they might be mad at you for "wasting" their credits or money. I agree to spend this night apart; tell them that you and DS are going, and they are welcome to join you, if not, they are on their own that night. And enjoy, no matter what you decide.

We have done it twice, and loved it both times..Its what it is, a fun time while eating good picnic style food..fried chicken,ribs,mashed potatoes, beans and strawberry shortcake..it was yummy and we will be doing it again next year...

I agree that it's worth it!

I think the show is fun for folks of all ages (I'm 24 and still enjoy it, as does my mom who is now in her 60's) and I also really like the food. You should let them know (if you haven't already) that beer/wine/sangria and the gratuity is included in the cost of the show - may make it seem like a little more "bang for your buck."

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'm going to take your advice and book it. I also think I may just split with my step-sister and her family for the night. My other sister is happy to go, and I think the time apart may be good for us.

We try to go to HDDR as often as we can, and have been doing it since our kids were younger than yours. I think it is something that everyone should experience at least once. Tell the adults about the 'all you care to drink' beer, wine and sangria. That ought to do the trick.

You could probably easily pay for Sci Fi OOP.

And if they still don't want to go, then book it for yourself and your son. Let them eat at whatever other ADR you have. It's your vacation too, and there is no law that says that you have to be joined at the hip for the entire trip. Actually, having BTDT, sometimes a little time apart so folks can do their own thing is a really, really good thing.

:lmao: The unlimited beer, wine, and sangria is what made my sister come over to my side! The step-sister though, not so much.

It's a family favorite through 3 generations of ages. We don't do dining plans but we feel Hoop is a great experience and worth the price.

And having done several family trips with a lot of adults, I'm also a firm believer in planning separate activities and taking a break from one another.

I'm absolutely going to agree with you that some time apart might be a good thing for us. TBH my step-sister and I don't always get along well even though I only see her once a year or less. She added herself into this trip, and while I know it isn't a good idea, I really have no choice other than to grin and bare it or I'm going to ruin this trip. So I put on my :) and keep on planning.

I would do HDDMR.....it is a nice getaway from the parks.....Also if you book for an early show you can then go over to Chip and Dale's Campfire and make smores and watch a movie....great way to spend a night away from the parks!! I book it almost everytime I go and the kids love making smores and watching a movie afterward.

Really? I didn't know about this campfire! I want to do this for sure! Chip and Dale are there? Thanks so much for telling me! I'm going to look into this more!

HDDR is one of my family's favorite events on the planet, and our only MUST-DO dinner every trip! We highly recommend it and agree that it is fun for people of all ages. I have been with people ages 1.5-80, and it is a favorite of all!

That said, if members of your party are resistent, it's probably not a good idea to "try to convince them." If they go in with a bad attitude, it might not be so much fun for them, and they might be mad at you for "wasting" their credits or money. I agree to spend this night apart; tell them that you and DS are going, and they are welcome to join you, if not, they are on their own that night. And enjoy, no matter what you decide.

I think you may be right. I don't think I'm going to try and convince them. I think I'm going to set up an ADR for them and then send them on their way :cool1:

I think you all would like it very much!

However, if you have VERY picky eaters, _I_ would ditch Tusker House (even though it is a fave of mine).

You may also want to read previous posts about H&V--while any restaurant will have good and bad reviews, H&V seems to have worse than usual.

I personally love the HDDR. It's been about 8 years since we have be there, and I am so excited!! DH, DD and I are taking my parents-in-law (and they are first time WDW visitors) there in October and that is the meal I am most excited to take them to . I believe the tip is included as well under the DDP, so that's more incentive.
One other suggestion- Ohana's is always a lot of fun. I really enjoy the food and the atmosphere. The dessert there is on my top 5 at WDW.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to take a break from the family. We went with my parents last October and wouldn't minded a day or two to go off and do our own thing- less pressure to make everyone happy.;)

Happy planning!

I think you all would like it very much!

However, if you have VERY picky eaters, _I_ would ditch Tusker House (even though it is a fave of mine).

You may also want to read previous posts about H&V--while any restaurant will have good and bad reviews, H&V seems to have worse than usual.

Tusker House would be only for breakfast if we decide on that one, so I think we might be able to find something for everyone.

Ugh. Hollywood and Vine is the restaurant I'm least looking forward to, but it seems to be the best of the three for the F! package. Mama Melrose seems to have nothing for our picky eaters, and Hollywood Brown Derby is 2 TS credits. I would skip the F! package but it's going to be very busy when we are there and I want to catch F!, but don't want to wait in line for hours. :confused3

I personally love the HDDR. It's been about 8 years since we have be there, and I am so excited!! DH, DD and I are taking my parents-in-law (and they are first time WDW visitors) there in October and that is the meal I am most excited to take them to . I believe the tip is included as well under the DDP, so that's more incentive.
One other suggestion- Ohana's is always a lot of fun. I really enjoy the food and the atmosphere. The dessert there is on my top 5 at WDW.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to take a break from the family. We went with my parents last October and wouldn't minded a day or two to go off and do our own thing- less pressure to make everyone happy.;)

Happy planning!

I didn't know the tip was included! That IS an extra incentive! Thanks

You will love the Hoop Dee Doo. It's such a nice getaway over at Fort Wilderness. It's an whole new world over there! So glad you are going. You and your sister will have fun!

HDDR is definately worth it! The boys will love it. I would do qs one night to do HDDR.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

When I went to HDDR the first time about ten years ago, I hated it. I mean hated it so much that I refused to even consider it under any circumstances after that. Horrid show, HORRID food....ick!!
Then this past January when I did a Mommy and Me trip w/DD (9), I thought he might like it and decided (though a bit reluctantly) to give it another try.
It was adorable! I thought the food was lovely and the show was cute and we had a GREAT time! We weren't on the DDP and paid for Cat 1 seating so it was a little pricey, but for just the two of us not toooo bad. ;)

Go for it. :goodvibes

I went with a group of 9 in February. HDD was hands down the favorite dinning experience of EVERY single person in the group that went from Grand parents to a 3 year old!

I've never been disappointed with HDDR... ever, in 26 years. The last time we went was on the spur of the moment, no ADR. Had a great time.

I loved is SO MUCH! Definitely worth 2 TS credits. It's actually bumming me out that I can't afford to do it on my next trip.

you can find out a little more by going to wdwinfo.com click on the resort descriptions, go to Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground and look under recreation. A little down the page it tells you about the nightly campfire and movies. Its open to all WDW guests. Hope you have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter