HONEST detailed account of Solo Trip

If you do a trip report let me know I would be interested in reading about your findings and pictures of CBR. You should spurge a little. It's for your trip, go for it. One place I highly recommend is Yachtsman steakhouse. Well worth the two credits. The place is amazing and the food plus the service is out of this world. You will love it. Especially if you love meats. I tried different cusines and places to eat at last trip. Yak and Yeti cs at Ak was really good as was Boma for breakfast. Any advice on any places your eating at or got a question, let me know, maybe I can help.

I've actually done Yachtsman and the food was good and I love the yacht club/beach club area, but we had really bad service that night. Unfortunately. However, to me, Le Cellier is a better steak! I'm a steak snob. Ha. I'm not doing dining plan. But someone else on the boards who posted she is going solo at the same time told me she has a reservation for Le Cellier one night so I'm debating joining her for that. I haven't stopped talking about the meal I had there and it's been over a year and a half. Ha. I might let that be my splurge. I kinda feel like CBR is my splurge this trip though!

I've actually done Yachtsman and the food was good and I love the yacht club/beach club area, but we had really bad service that night. Unfortunately. However, to me, Le Cellier is a better steak! I'm a steak snob. Ha. I'm not doing dining plan. But someone else on the boards who posted she is going solo at the same time told me she has a reservation for Le Cellier one night so I'm debating joining her for that. I haven't stopped talking about the meal I had there and it's been over a year and a half. Ha. I might let that be my splurge. I kinda feel like CBR is my splurge this trip though!

I have never tried Le Cellier.Maybe one day. I ate at Cape May a few times and the food along with the service was really good. No complaints from me. I love steak too. I can always eat anything that is great top notch meat. I had the filet Milgon at Yachtsman and it was amazing. I have been blessed because most meals I have ate at Disney were really good. So I got that going for me. You should go and have fun and meet up with someone for a meal. I understand what you mean that CBR is your splurge. For me, it was the tours and spending two days at Universal parks. So I know where your coming from.

I have never tried Le Cellier.Maybe one day. I ate at Cape May a few times and the food along with the service was really good. No complaints from me. I love steak too. I can always eat anything that is great top notch meat. I had the filet Milgon at Yachtsman and it was amazing. I have been blessed because most meals I have ate at Disney were really good. So I got that going for me. You should go and have fun and meet up with someone for a meal. I understand what you mean that CBR is your splurge. For me, it was the tours and spending two days at Universal parks. So I know where your coming from.
Have you been to California Grill? Good filet there too. I had the ribeye at the yachtsman, and it was very good, but the ribeye at le cellier was one of my top 5 ever. I love ribeye. I may try Cape May...keep hearing good things and do love that area. Ever been to Beaches & Cream? Yum.

I'm going in December for DISapalooza at Diagon Alley, staying at Cabana Bay, and adding on a couple of nights at Port Orleans-FQ (I think) and doing some of the Christmas stuff. For sure Candlelight Processional and maybe Mickey's Christmas Party too. So I kinda am having to think ahead to that trip too and not go too overboard with this one! Then in February going with a friend for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. We are doing the 5k and having a few park days. Doing California Grill that trip!

Have you been to California Grill? Good filet there too. I had the ribeye at the yachtsman, and it was very good, but the ribeye at le cellier was one of my top 5 ever. I love ribeye. I may try Cape May...keep hearing good things and do love that area. Ever been to Beaches & Cream? Yum.

I'm going in December for DISapalooza at Diagon Alley, staying at Cabana Bay, and adding on a couple of nights at Port Orleans-FQ (I think) and doing some of the Christmas stuff. For sure Candlelight Processional and maybe Mickey's Christmas Party too. So I kinda am having to think ahead to that trip too and not go too overboard with this one! Then in February going with a friend for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. We are doing the 5k and having a few park days. Doing California Grill that trip!

I have not been to California Grill but once again have heard amazing things about it. I ate at beaches and cream and really enjoyed it. You know what is a very underrated placed to eat at, that is very good-The plaza Restaurant in MK. Very good sandwiches and great service. Be our Guest lunch was very good too. I love a roast beef sandwich. Wow, I heard about the Disapalooza from the Dis team and that sounds amazing. I think that will be a fun time for sure. Cabana Bay, what a nice looking resort. You have to give me details about that one too. I was thinking next stay I want to try and stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Looks really beautiful and nice there. Seems like you got a lot of going on and fun stuff.

My brother and his family went to Disney during Christmas and cant stop talking about it. They loved it. Wow my head is spinning with all your trip lined up and what you are going to be doing. So happy for you. You really know how to have fun lol.

I have not been to California Grill but once again have heard amazing things about it. I ate at beaches and cream and really enjoyed it. You know what is a very underrated placed to eat at, that is very good-The plaza Restaurant in MK. Very good sandwiches and great service. Be our Guest lunch was very good too. I love a roast beef sandwich. Wow, I heard about the Disapalooza from the Dis team and that sounds amazing. I think that will be a fun time for sure. Cabana Bay, what a nice looking resort. You have to give me details about that one too. I was thinking next stay I want to try and stay at Port Orleans Riverside. Looks really beautiful and nice there. Seems like you got a lot of going on and fun stuff.

My brother and his family went to Disney during Christmas and cant stop talking about it. They loved it. Wow my head is spinning with all your trip lined up and what you are going to be doing. So happy for you. You really know how to have fun lol.

Ha...well, I went to the Richmond DIS meet back in April and meeting so many great DISers made me for sure have to do the DISapalooza thing. It does sound so fun. I loved POR. Beautiful setting, didn't feel nearly as big as it is. Great food court and pools. Loved everything about it!

Christmas is amazing there. I love Christmas anyway and my birthday is near Christmas, so experiencing Christmas there was just so awesome for me.

I would love to do that tour! I've never done any of the tours. The now ex and I always talked about doing some of them. He had done many (he has gone to WDW almost every single year of his life, usually multiple times per year...he sparked my obsession:), and always talked about how great they are. I'm hoping to move down there next year, so I'm thinking it will be much easier to do tours then, especially with a Florida resident AP.

I am a weird mix. I enjoy my own company at times too...and need that alone time sometimes. But I also am very outgoing and love being around people.

I bit the bullet and bought an AP today!! AH! I have 2 other trips planned in the next 8 months so I decided it would be better to go with the AP. It just feels so weird to have an AP! But really exciting! I'm guessing I will end up going more now that I have it.

If we are ever down there at the same time, would love to grab a meal or ride something with you!

I thought the Marceline Tour was really good. And I thought $30 price tag was well worth it. It's something that may be too much for a family but as a solo easier to swing. Lol! I stayed at Pop and really liked it but have thought about CBR or POFQ if I could find good price for next time.

Would love to meet for a meal sometime if we are both in the park. Would be nice to meet up with fellow solo travelers

I did Universal solo back in January, and the only awkwardness was checking into the resort when I was asked when everybody else was arriving. In the park people didn't care, maybe they assumed the rest of my party were elsewhere. And riding the Harry Potter rides solo was awesome because you often get sat with huge fans.

I then did Lotte World in Korea solo last week, with no awkwardness at all. Partly because of the language barrier, partly because Koreans are just so friendly.

So I'm not too worried about doing Disney World solo next year. But I'm aware I'll probably miss out on certain things by only doing rides I want rather than letting others drag me along to things I don't know I'll enjoy. The ability to change plans without worrying about anyone else makes up for that though.

I don't particularly enjoy dining alone, mostly because waiters don't understand that a solo diner usually doesn't care about sitting around after the meal enjoying the atmosphere - they just want to pay the bill and move on. So I'll probably be mostly doing quick service meals and spending time on social media while waiting.

Hi, I would love to read a Universal solo trip report if you did one. I dont do the roller coasters . So , not real sure how much time to allow. Did you stay at one of their resorts? Would love to stay at one of the Deluxe hotels but price is so much unless splitting with a buddy

Hi, I would love to read a Universal solo trip report if you did one. I dont do the roller coasters . So , not real sure how much time to allow. Did you stay at one of their resorts? Would love to stay at one of the Deluxe hotels but price is so much unless splitting with a buddy

After doing Rip Ride Rockit I learned that I don't do the big roller coasters either. I spent three days there and could have fit everything I wanted to do into two. I did all the rides except the big outdoor rollercoasters, and I saw most of the shows too.

I was initially going to stay off-site, but the early entry and transportation with staying on-site made everything much easier. It was just after New Year, so fairly crowded during the afternoons and being able to take a break during that time made a big difference.

I ended up mostly eating at the Simpsons food hall thing. There was plenty of choice and some small tables I could sit at and watch the world go by.

I stayed at Cabanna Bay, and being so new it might as well have been a deluxe. While the dining was just a basic cafeteria, everything was still shiny and clean and the pool area looked really nice.

After doing Rip Ride Rockit I learned that I don't do the big roller coasters either. I spent three days there and could have fit everything I wanted to do into two. I did all the rides except the big outdoor rollercoasters, and I saw most of the shows too.

I was initially going to stay off-site, but the early entry and transportation with staying on-site made everything much easier. It was just after New Year, so fairly crowded during the afternoons and being able to take a break during that time made a big difference.

I ended up mostly eating at the Simpsons food hall thing. There was plenty of choice and some small tables I could sit at and watch the world go by.

I stayed at Cabanna Bay, and being so new it might as well have been a deluxe. While the dining was just a basic cafeteria, everything was still shiny and clean and the pool area looked really nice.

Haha. I don't know if I could survive RRR, lol! I don't like heights either so better stay away from that one. I would like to try the Mummy though. May be most I can handle. And Gringotts ride looks doable. I have thought about CB. It's a little further to walk to parks so may have to rely on shuttle.

hey,

Did you have a car or use shuttle service to get to Universal? I have considered staying at Disney and just going over there for a day or two

hey,

Did you have a car or use shuttle service to get to Universal? I have considered staying at Disney and just going over there for a day or two

I've done two solo trips to Universal - and the number one thing - if you want to see the WWoHP - staying onsite at Universal to get the early morning hour of admission is key!

How long you need there as a solo depends on how much into Harry Potter you are - and how many other rides you want to do. You can do a pretty decent job of seeing WWoHP and many of the other main attractions in both parks in 2 days. Their "express pass" may or may not be worth it - depending upon when you are going and the attractions that interest you. As a solo - you probably would not need three days unless you must hit every attraction, all rides, all shows, all things to do in both parks. If you are JUST going to focus solely on WWoHP - you can do that as a solo with a one day park-to-park pass. But - that will take much of day - so you won't see all of the rest of the parks.

I stayed solo at Cabana Bay one of those trips - and I splurged and did a family suite. It was NICE to have the kitchenette. Used the lazy river ALOT. Had a decent pizza at the cafeteria once. But otherwise - since I had a car - I ate in my room or the parks. The only place I felt a bit weird dining solo was at the eatery in the HP section at Universal. Tables are set up in long rows - and it just felt noticeable that I was alone. BUT - I went twice anyway because I wanted to try different food items. Cabana Bay gets you in an hour early, but does not include the express pass. I did buy the express pass separately - but that doesn't help on the two big HP rides. I bought it because I planned to see the rest of the park ALOT. I had a 4 day ticket this trip. BUT - it was AUGUST and I couldn't spend full days in the park - so - I probably spent 2.5 full park days total - spread over 4. Did I mention I loved the lazy river at the resort? Rode the bus to and from the park - and that was as smooth as it is at Disney - except its a farther walk to the parks from the bus stop (and driving my car won't have gotten my closer - and would have cost me)

The other visit - I was off-site and not at a partner hotel - so I couldn't get in the hour early. That trip - the HP stuff was only a couple months old - and that section was PACKED. FJ line was always 90 minutes or longer. Its was just crowded and hard to move around in. Waited in line to get into the wand shop for almost an hour. Didn't get the express pass, either. Without either of those two things during busy times - you really feel like a second class citizen at Universal/IOA. It might be okay to do this at a slow time of year.... but I'm not sure.

I've dined once solo in CityWalk - the Universal version of DTD - no different of a solo dining experience than you would find anywhere.

Hope this helps!

hey,

I actually paid for a taxi to take me there twice. It cost 72 dollars for me round trip. About 36 each way. I stayed at Pops and it was a lot of fun to visit Universal. I think it was well worth visiting there. The rides there are amazing and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you have any questions about Universal, I would be happy to answer for you if you like.

I actually paid for a taxi to take me there twice. It cost 72 dollars for me round trip. About 36 each way. I stayed at Pops and it was a lot of fun to visit Universal. I think it was well worth visiting there. The rides there are amazing and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you have any questions about Universal, I would be happy to answer for you if you like.

Did you find 2 days was enough time to see the park? I'm a HP fan but not a diehard. I would like to tour the castle and Diagon Alley and ride Gringotts. Then would like to check out several other attractions in the parks. I plan to skip the big coasters and the Simpsons. I tend to get a little motion sick and understand Simpsons is pretty rough. I'm looking at going the end of September or October.

Did you find 2 days was enough time to see the park? I'm a HP fan but not a diehard. I would like to tour the castle and Diagon Alley and ride Gringotts. Then would like to check out several other attractions in the parks. I plan to skip the big coasters and the Simpsons. I tend to get a little motion sick and understand Simpsons is pretty rough. I'm looking at going the end of September or October.

I think 2 days is more then enough. I took my time and enjoyed each park. I happened to like Islands of Adventure a bit more since I am a coaster fan but for what it is worth both parks are really a lot of fun. There is plenty to see and a lot to do. Cant say enough also about there team members. They were all so nice and helpful. I didn't ride the Simpsons ride (by choice) but Gringotts was a lot of fun. I think you can definitely handle that. Despicable Me ride is a lot of fun and after the ride you can get your pictures with the Minions. One of my all time favorite rides is the Mummy. That is a thrilling ride and you have to try the butterbeer at HP land. Very good stuff. Jurassic Park area is a lot of fun too. The ride is great. Make sure to wear a poncho lol One key I can offer is take your time and take it all in and make sure to relax and have some crazy fun!

I think 2 days is more then enough. I took my time and enjoyed each park. I happened to like Islands of Adventure a bit more since I am a coaster fan but for what it is worth both parks are really a lot of fun. There is plenty to see and a lot to do. Cant say enough also about there team members. They were all so nice and helpful. I didn't ride the Simpsons ride (by choice) but Gringotts was a lot of fun. I think you can definitely handle that. Despicable Me ride is a lot of fun and after the ride you can get your pictures with the Minions. One of my all time favorite rides is the Mummy. That is a thrilling ride and you have to try the butterbeer at HP land. Very good stuff. Jurassic Park area is a lot of fun too. The ride is great. Make sure to wear a poncho lol One key I can offer is take your time and take it all in and make sure to relax and have some crazy fun!

Yeah, I would like to try the Mummy too. It's funny how i read people are sometime hesitant b/c of the special effects but the motion of the coaster is what concerns me. haha I think i can handle the effects. How is the backwards part? I read it's real quick and not bad. Jurassic Park and Despicable Me are also on my wish list.

Yeah, I would like to try the Mummy too. It's funny how i read people are sometime hesitant b/c of the special effects but the motion of the coaster is what concerns me. haha I think i can handle the effects. How is the backwards part? I read it's real quick and not bad. Jurassic Park and Despicable Me are also on my wish list.

It is a quick backwards you go just like the yeti. Wait till you feel the fire from above you. Way cool stuff, you will be just fine.

I usually do 2 days at Universal. I find that is enough time (in Oct) to do many of the rides and shows. Getting there early for HP is key, but if i wait in line for the new rides i'll live :) I love roller coasters but even if you aren't a fan there are plenty of other things to do (the posiden's fury walk thru is great, but it is a walk thru no sitting). And diaster starring you(or something like that) will seem very familiar to those who have been to hollywood studios.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I can't even count the number of solo trips I've done, so it this point I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm not really good at being the one to strike up a conversation but people seem pretty comfortable talking to me, this last trip in particular I seemed to be wearing my "talk to me" sign, because it was one conversation after another. For busses the only thing that feels a little akward is being mindful to sit where I'm not breaking up a block of seats... so if there were four seats open I would sit in the 4th, so 1 thru 3 were available for a family, if that makes sense. I do sometimes play with my phone (usually posting pics to FB so friends and family can enjoy) during meals. If anyone does ever ask if I'm alone I usually answer with "Yes, this is a ME trip where I get to do anything I want whenever I want!". The only thing that kind of bugs me is being the only one seated in a row in the boats at Pirates or The Land... so I'll usually sneek in with the group in front of me, if there's room :).

I have taken at least 27 trips to WDW with other people in the past 15 years, although the time where my daughter sang with her choir for Magical Music Days had me spending some alone time. This past May I was to meet my 82 year old mother who was coming from another state and we were to stay at AKL. As I was boarding my plane, I got a call from my brother that mom didn't feel good and was not coming (she is fine). I spent three nights and days alone and maybe because I hadn't planned an alone trip and was looking forward to time with mom, it was a lonely trip. I am outgoing and talk to people in line, on buses, wherever, but I really missed sharing the rides and disney experience with another person. Dining alone was fine, I people watched and am used to dining alone at lot at work. Kind of felt awkward on It's a Small World as I was the only one in my row on the ride. Some rides I shared a row with another person which was fine (depending on the person as younger people really didn't know what to say to me lol). A few people I talked to could not believe I was alone. Real awkward waiting for the fireworks at MK and Epcot. MK sat there for over an hour, no one talked to me as I was surrounded with families involved with their families, Epcot one lady talked to me who was mad at her husband who didn't want to watch Illuminations from where she was watching.

Had a lot of issues with my hotel room at AKL, it was never cleaned the entire time I was there, and they insisted they were cleaning it...had to take up cast members several times to show it was not cleaned, and after hours of talking with the manager over several days, we discovered that they put me in the wrong room and the room I was actually in showed up on their computer as vacant. Once they corrected this, I had trouble with the magic bands..they would not work, and the manager had to let me in my room several times...it was a saga, and they did credit my account for one night's lodging. ( I kept thinking I must be on candid camera lol).

I had rented a car and always do, but this was the first time I used the buses as I didn't want to be driving back late at night to the hotel by myself because of the crazy way we are routed back to the hotel. I never felt awkward on the buses. Too tired.

Highlight was stumbling on Herman's Hermits at Epcot. That was one of the highlights lol. And a surprise.

I always wondered what it would be like to go alone and thought I would like it, but I found that I missed my daughter and really didn't do anything different than what we always do. I did more than if mom were with me, due to her age, but missed sharing the experience. Maybe if my solo trip had been planned, I would have been psychologically prepared to be alone. Not sure now if I would ever do an alone trip again. One thing that did help though was I would randomly take a photo of a location, text it to my daughter, and she would have to guess where I was lol. That helped.

Secondly, dining of course is a subjective experience. The only place where I got sad looks was at Boma surprisingly. Funny enough I just played with my phone and my server at the end asked if I was a Disney employee because I was dining alone. I laughed and said no I was just a die hard Boma fan. But I could definitely see how having a distraction could be helpful for dining alone, I found myself a little more rushed to finish sit down meals and more prone to snacking.

Just to clarify, did you feel rushed because you wanted to finish your meal more quickly or because you felt like that staff were trying to rush you? That's one of my biggest anxieties of a future solo trip to Disney. I don't want to pay a lot of money to eat at a nice restaurant only for the staff to rush me because I'm dining alone...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter