• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat Part III

Thinking of pulling my four yo twins out of kindergarten. I homeschool our nine yo. Have for two years now. The twins are sick all the time. They bring everything home so that we are sick all the time. The previous two years of preschool were the same and illness is literally ruining our lives. Dh is getting a chest X-ray right now and won't join us on our wdw trip next week because he is too sick to travel. We have been dealing with coughs, sniffles and ear infections nonstop since mid August. In addition, the twins seem to bring home the unwanted behaviour of the week without fail. Thoughts, suggestions.

If it were me, I would go ahead an pull them out. My oldest was sick constantly during her two years of public school. She had not had a sick visit from age 2 to 5 and then had strep 3 times in Kindergarten! Some people will send their kids to school no matter what. One of her K classmates was actually vomiting one day AS HE WAS GETTING ON THE BUS! Crazy! You already know what goes into homeschooling. You will have to adjust to having all three at home, but if they are constantly sick you have them home quite a bit anyway. Personally, I think it would be so much extra work to have some in "building" school and one at home. If they are all at home you won't have to worry about the school calendar, or getting them up and dressed and out the door, or packing lunches, doing fundraisers, buying school supplies they don't need, etc. Just my opinion, but I would definitely try them at home.

If it were me, I would go ahead an pull them out. My oldest was sick constantly during her two years of public school. She had not had a sick visit from age 2 to 5 and then had strep 3 times in Kindergarten! Some people will send their kids to school no matter what. One of her K classmates was actually vomiting one day AS HE WAS GETTING ON THE BUS! Crazy! You already know what goes into homeschooling. You will have to adjust to having all three at home, but if they are constantly sick you have them home quite a bit anyway. Personally, I think it would be so much extra work to have some in "building" school and one at home. If they are all at home you won't have to worry about the school calendar, or getting them up and dressed and out the door, or packing lunches, doing fundraisers, buying school supplies they don't need, etc. Just my opinion, but I would definitely try them at home.

Good thoughts. I see what you mean about rushing out the door. Right now dd gets started on her own while I drive the little ones. My four yo daughter joins us for school in the afternoon. Works well. I teach her to read during this time. No trouble juggling the two kids. Now throwing s's into the mix would be more challenging.

A friend said to me that they have to build the immunity some time and this will pass. Three years seems tough though.

As tough as homeschooling three might be, I can't help but think it has to be better than dealing with three constantly ill asthmatic children and their constantly ill asthmatic parents. It is wearing me out.

We leave for disney Tuesday. I'll be thinking about my decision while away.

Ds is upstairs now hacking away. Friday it was the sniffles and now it's in his chest. This after being away the week prior. He literally caught something the day he went back!

Thinking of pulling my four yo twins out of kindergarten. I homeschool our nine yo. Have for two years now. The twins are sick all the time. They bring everything home so that we are sick all the time. The previous two years of preschool were the same and illness is literally ruining our lives. Dh is getting a chest X-ray right now and won't join us on our wdw trip next week because he is too sick to travel. We have been dealing with coughs, sniffles and ear infections nonstop since mid August.

In addition, the twins seem to bring home the unwanted behaviour of the week without fail.

Thoughts, suggestions.

I would pull them out. My daughter was born with a heart defect that makes her immune system a little weaker than most kids. When she was in preschool she was constantly sick, so for kindergarten I decided to home school (for many reasons) It is working out great! Good Luck with your decision! :)

I am looking for good recommendations for kindergarten curriculum for Math and Reading. When I decided to home school I actually pulled my daughter out of our public school 2 weeks before they were to start. So for now I am just doing Spectrum workbooks and she seems to be going great but as we get more involved I would like to get better materials maybe even some I can save and use with my 3 year old when she starts.I just have no idea where to start :confused3 Thanks!

I am looking for good recommendations for kindergarten curriculum for Math and Reading. When I decided to home school I actually pulled my daughter out of our public school 2 weeks before they were to start. So for now I am just doing Spectrum workbooks and she seems to be going great but as we get more involved I would like to get better materials maybe even some I can save and use with my 3 year old when she starts.I just have no idea where to start :confused3 Thanks!

We are a Math-U-See family. We have done all the levels from Primer up to Geometry so far and have been happy with it (I have and engineering degree and my husband is a computer scientist, we are "math" people). It takes some faith as the mastery approach they use is quite different from the spiral approach of most programs. That said, I have used the blocks, DVD's, and teacher guides with four kids. I only have to buy the student set as each younger child reaches the next level. For reading we use a combination of things: Sonlight LA, Getting Ready for the Code, "Bob" type books. Many swear by "100 Easy Lessons" but we thought it was way too dry. I have to admit that teaching my kids to read was one of the things I worried about the most but now that I have taught two successfully (the oldest learned in public school before we brought her home for good in 2nd grade) I can say that it was one of the most gratifying things I have ever done. Brought me to tears both times and I'm sure it will when #4 starts reading as well!

We are a Math-U-See family. We have done all the levels from Primer up to Geometry so far and have been happy with it (I have and engineering degree and my husband is a computer scientist, we are "math" people). It takes some faith as the mastery approach they use is quite different from the spiral approach of most programs. That said, I have used the blocks, DVD's, and teacher guides with four kids. I only have to buy the student set as each younger child reaches the next level. For reading we use a combination of things: Sonlight LA, Getting Ready for the Code, "Bob" type books. Many swear by "100 Easy Lessons" but we thought it was way too dry. I have to admit that teaching my kids to read was one of the things I worried about the most but now that I have taught two successfully (the oldest learned in public school before we brought her home for good in 2nd grade) I can say that it was one of the most gratifying things I have ever done. Brought me to tears both times and I'm sure it will when #4 starts reading as well!

I'm a fan of teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. I was a teacher before becoming a mom and I've literally taught hundreds of kids to read with it. Then my kids graduated to the reading mastery programs. Dd is working on level five now. They are pricey but you can use them with you younger child.

For math we use connecting math concepts. Same author as 100 easy lessons. Love it.

I would pull them out. My daughter was born with a heart defect that makes her immune system a little weaker than most kids. When she was in preschool she was constantly sick, so for kindergarten I decided to home school (for many reasons) It is working out great! Good Luck with your decision! :)

Thanks. With the asthma there is no such thing as a "little cold." When kids come to school sick my children are vulnerable. Last December I pulled them out for a whole month to let everyone get well. We all did and we settled into a nice routine. Maybe this is doable. I think my nine yo will miss the quiet time.

Everyone, thank you so much! I looked at a bunch of different programs and I decided to Math to use Math U See and for reading 100 lessons. I am very excited to get started on both of these and am more confident now that I know I have at least a math and reading curriculum to follow. Again thank you so much it was very helpful! :flower3:

I do not home school but I was wondering what type of lesson is best for reading? My little girl is having trouble reading. She is in 1st grade. I would love any suggestions or advice.

I do not home school but I was wondering what type of lesson is best for reading? My little girl is having trouble reading. She is in 1st grade. I would love any suggestions or advice.

Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons is great. Just open it up and get started. You cannot go wrong. It is on amazon.

So home schooling came about because my daughter did not make the lottery for the charter school (she was wait listed #84 and there were only 30 spots available) as you all know what I decided to home school I had my reservations but now it is going great. Well today I get a call from the charter school saying they have a spot for her:scared1: I am so confused because I do not know what is best. I asked her what she wants to do and she insists that she wants to stay home schooling because she does not want to leave me. I would have no problem with this decision if home schooling wasn't going so well, but she has already learned so much in the 4 weeks we have been doing it. Please Please Please any advice would be great:worship: (plus I think my husband is going to want her to go into the charter) :faint::eek:

So home schooling came about because my daughter did not make the lottery for the charter school (she was wait listed #84 and there were only 30 spots available) as you all know what I decided to home school I had my reservations but now it is going great. Well today I get a call from the charter school saying they have a spot for her:scared1: I am so confused because I do not know what is best. I asked her what she wants to do and she insists that she wants to stay home schooling because she does not want to leave me. I would have no problem with this decision if home schooling wasn't going so well, but she has already learned so much in the 4 weeks we have been doing it. Please Please Please any advice would be great:worship: (plus I think my husband is going to want her to go into the charter) :faint::eek:

I think you answered your own question. ;) Homeschooling is going well, your daughter has learned so much already, and she enjoys being home and wants to keep it that way. I say keep up the good work! :)

I am a huge believer if the child is happy where they are, leave them. Although, I convinced my youngest to leave and she wasn't completely on board. Now, after a few weeks of home school, she loves it.

If your husband is really set on her going, make a compromise. Let her try it for 1 month and decide after a month how it is going. No harm in trying it for a short time and then pulling her if she is miserable. However, if she is truly set against it, you are better off keeping her home. Can she tour the school and see what it would be like?

Don't know how old your DD is :confused3 But all of you can sit down and make a pros/cons list of going to the charter and for homeschooling. Then you and hubby and can talk about real concerns about homeschooling vs charter vs traditional school.

I'm of the opinion, if it isn't broken don't fix it ;)

If your husband is really set on her going, make a compromise. Let her try it for 1 month and decide after a month how it is going. No harm in trying it for a short time and then pulling her if she is miserable. However, if she is truly set against it, you are better off keeping her home. Can she tour the school and see what it would be like?

Not sure about the trial run at the school, but I love the idea of touring the school. That is a good idea.:thumbsup2

Can she tour the school and see what it would be like?
We have a tour set for Thursday. After talking to many people I have decided to talk to the school and see if what they want to accomplish this year lines up with what I want to. My daughter is in Kindergarten and I want her to be reading by the end of the year, doing simple addition, telling some time and recognizing coins. My husband has said the decision is ultimately up to me and (right now) I am very very very much leaning with staying in home schooling. I mean public schools will always be there and she can always go in the charter at another time is worst comes to worst. I live in a small town and all the towns around me are small so it's not like a city were you have 1,000 kids competing for 20 spots. Like I said this is what I think right now and I have a lot of peace with it this just feels right. My daughter has been having trouble counting lately (missing the number 15 always!) and tonight she came up to me and counted all the way to 29 without missing it! she was so proud of it and all I could think was "I taught her that" and I was so proud of her. It's funny I came into home schooling kind of reluctantly and now I love it!

Thank you Thank you all this has been a great help. What is funny is I was talking to my mother in law and she said the same thing to me "It seems to me that you have already made up your mind, so what is the problem?" and when I thought about it I realized that fear of making the wrong choice is why this is an issue. I know I can give my child a better education than what she can get in the school system (public or charter) I also know I can get her socialized. So I am going to tour the school (with her) and if I think they can do a better job than myself then I will enroll her if not things will not change. I agree why fix something if it isn't broken? Again thank you all so much. :goodvibes

Just to let you know, they WILL try to convince you they can do a better job. If your husband supports you plus you and dd are happy, don't second guess yourself. We moms are always worried about doing the best thing for our kids so that's normal. Follow peace. See what you are at peace with and follow that. :)

Just to let you know, they WILL try to convince you they can do a better job. If your husband supports you plus you and dd are happy, don't second guess yourself. We moms are always worried about doing the best thing for our kids so that's normal. Follow peace. See what you are at peace with and follow that. :)

Well just talked to my DH and now he says I cannot convince him that home schooling is better :worried: Unfortunately one of us is going to have to loose this and I am worried it is going to be me...

Well just talked to my DH and now he says I cannot convince him that home schooling is better :worried: Unfortunately one of us is going to have to loose this and I am worried it is going to be me...

Uh oh...I thought he said it was up to you? Do a search on how homeschoolers stack up against their private and public school peers. You will have all kinds of "convincing" evidence for him. ;)

Uh oh...I thought he said it was up to you? Do a search on how homeschoolers stack up against their private and public school peers. You will have all kinds of "convincing" evidence for him. ;)

That's what I plan to do, and yes he originally said it was up to me but has since changed his mind. The problem is that I have looked up the education system in this country and have seen how bad it is, he has not. He has no exposure to how the US is falling behind in major subjects, his mother is from Finland (right now #1 education system in the world) and she supports me home schooling! I am overly frustrated right now and worried. He has told me that I will not be able to convince him home schooling is the best. Like I said one of us is going to loose and I fear it will be me.

My original plan was to home school until my daughter got pulled for the charter school 1. I was not thinking it would happen so soon and 2. why would I stop now when she is learning so great? I mean she is 5 and already has 21 sight words these are words she can pick out of a book and read. Tomorrow we are staring 100 easy lesson's to teach your child to read and I know she is going to do great at it. I wish she already knew how to read because if she was to read a book to him I know that would change his mind. I am so happy I have you guys on here I do not know what I would do if I did not have people to talk to who understand. He is trying to tell me I can still do the lessons with her after school but what is the point then of sending her to school?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter