Holy Crud!!! Want your mind blown: price comparison 2012 v 2022

Not a lot of this feels apples to apples. You can still see fireworks without a dessert package. You tried to be more frugal ten years ago and you’re not now. Sure, prices have gone up, but these are choices. They haven’t gone up 300%.
I bet they have gone up more than 300%. We live here, and I'm telling you, that person's post was pretty darn close to accurate, esp if you add on those fast pass money gougers. He might be a little high, but not much.

I agree with the OP. She was just stating her comparison, not perfect but pretty good. Looking at the tickets alone which are comparable, the ten year increase from year to year is 14-15% a year for the ten year period. This was during a period of very low inflation. I really don't know how many families will be able to afford it. I like the new Princess commercials and agree that an Alaskan cruise is a much better value. My kids enjoyed both.

The tickets are biggest eye opener. The ticket prices are just too much now when you have to pay on top to get on rides in a reasonable amount of time.

Back in 2012 you could still get non expiring tickets also. I miss those days.

I just tried my own comparison (couldn’t get same resort & the room category booked in 2019 doesn’t exist, so picked closest) …

8/10/19-8/17/19 (Sat-Sat)
4 Disney Adults
7 nights
WL bunk bed
6 Day Park Hoppers
Discount = Free Dining Promo
Total Package Price = $5678.22

8/13/22-8/20/22 (Sat-Sat)
4 Disney Adults
7 nights
Boardwalk Garden View
6 Day Hoppers w/ Genie Plus
Discount = 25% off room for Disney+
Package Price = $6950.08
Plus Food ($300/day) = $2100
Plus Airport shuttle = $128
Total Package Price = $9178.08

Our airfare was free in 2019 with SWA points. It would still be free this summer because we have so many points, but no more non-stop flights, so long travel days.

I didn’t add Lightning Lane prices, but I’m sure we would buy some of those. I have not been since Genie +.

I agree with the OP. She was just stating her comparison, not perfect but pretty good.
I didn't look at the post as someone trying to illustrate "apples for apples" - the OP has illustrated how much more their experience cost them in 2022. Which is substantial. I'd hazard a guess that their disposable income hasn't increased at the same rate, so regardless of the reason (DVC points weren't as hot a commodity on line, etc), it's hard to have the same experience that we had 10 years ago, for the same relative cost + inflation. I look back ten years at what I paid for free dining trip to a moderate, and remember the excited frenzy in booking rooms when the sale finally dropped, then counting the days until I could book the Fastpasses, and make ADRs for table service, which was included in free dining moderate resort package. And then just sitting back and enjoying the benefits of careful planning.

The trip was set from the moment we boarded the MDE, I knew where we were going each day and could choose to sleep in if our first FastPass was later in the day, and I felt immersed. This upcoming August 2022 trip will probably be double the cost, staying at a moderate (with Disney+ discount), having to pay for all our meals (and NOT table service every day), Uber from the airport, unlikely to use Genie+ or LL. And my disposable income hasn't doubled, so it makes me wonder if I were in the same financial position as I was back in 2012, would we have been able to afford the trip today? THAT is the sad reality - I would hate to think that young families who are just starting out financially will be priced out of the park.

That one is the most egregious example of not comparing like things.

You rented points for $9 per point. Now you can get them at around $20.

That’s not a jump from $1400 to $9000 in lodging. That’s a jump from $1400 to $3000.
Actually, $3,000 for 2 weeks at BCV is still too low. She went in early February for 2 weeks. BCV is 106 points per week in early February now. Two weeks at $20 per point would be $4240. And that's only if you could find someone with BCV points to rent you. You really need to leverage the 11-month home priority window to book a studio at BVC.

Actually, $3,000 for 2 weeks at BCV is still too low. She went in early February for 2 weeks. BCV is 106 points per week in early February now. Two weeks at $20 per point would be $4240. And that's only if you could find someone with BCV points to rent you. You really need to leverage the 11-month home priority window to book a studio at BVC.
It was also 120 points per week in 2012 during that time period.

So It wasn't $1,400 for 14 days then. It was $2,160 at $9 per point.

Small changes in the allocation of points across seasons aside, the point is that the point charts don't inflate. So the inflation in renting a DVC room, on average, is just reflected in the going price of DVC rental points. Which back then was around half of what it is now. Nothing to sneeze at, but it's certainly nothing like the difference between $1,400 and $9,000.

Small changes in the allocation of points across seasons aside, the point is that the point charts don't inflate. So the inflation in renting a DVC room, on average, is just reflected in the going price of DVC rental points. Which back then was around half of what it is now. Nothing to sneeze at, but it's certainly nothing like the difference between $1,400 and $9,000.

Ah, I see what you're saying. She would have rented out 240 points for two weeks in 2012 which would have been $2160 not the $1400 she said it was. You confused me by talking about current pricing.

In any case, she can't compare renting points in 2012 and not renting points in 2022. We have no clue how much she would have paid for a BC Garden View back in 2012 so we can't compare that price with what she paid this year. We do know how much she would pay for a BCV studio in 2022 and that's $4240. So, renting points for 2 weeks at BCV went up $2,080 from 2012 to 2022 or 96%. Still shocking.

I will say we compared our vacation between April 2022, August 2021, and October 2019. The tickets and food were the biggest increases. I actually did the best on airfare this time around because I bought a few months ago before gas spiked. Most of my expenses have gone up due to inflation and supply chain issues. Just from this year compared to last year. Grocery shopping is no joke right now. Filled my Subaru up for $50 for the first time since I've owned it (2013).

The economy is challenging right now.

What I meant is the rooms themselves are similar. Ergo paying $100 in 2012 and paying what will now be $740 for our next trip in 2023 (look it up), is a big difference for similar rooms.

So I looked at my agreement. It was $8 per point. It was a great deal. Most of the time we rented for $10 to $12 a point. But I could definitely find $10 of I looked hard enough through about 2014. Then we switched to direct. She was just not using it that year and didn’t care about making money on it. Now it’s hard to find something under $16. $17 is the going rate.
Per point prices are so funny when you think about it. 2 dollars per point can add so much more per stay.

I will say we compared our vacation between April 2022, August 2021, and October 2019. The tickets and food were the biggest increases. I actually did the best on airfare this time around because I bought a few months ago before gas spiked. Most of my expenses have gone up due to inflation and supply chain issues. Just from this year compared to last year. Grocery shopping is no joke right now. Filled my Subaru up for $50 for the first time since I've owned it (2013).

The economy is challenging right now.
It is a good comparison- the flight versus the Disney prices. Not nearly the same increase.

I am not a millionaire and love Disney. We've stayed all resort levels, rented points, got discounts. We have many fond Disney memories for my family of 4.

The OP may be exaggerating a bit but there's a lot of truth in that post.

It's not so easy to rent points nowadays. When we first started renting in 2006, the cost was about $10 per point. Now it's around $20 per point. That's a significant increase. And, you could post a request for points on Disboards and ***********. Not anymore and I suspect that has to do with the DVC rental company sponsors. We've not rented points since 2014. I miss BWV.

Remember the Disney Visa 7 for 4 deal? That was 2004 and we stayed at the CR MK view for about $170 per night. Another Disney Visa deal was 4 nights at Coronado, 5 day park hoppers for 2 adults and 2 children, about $1500.

And the dining plan? It included the TIP!!

You might wonder why we didn't purchase DVC. I'm a breast cancer survivor and it didn't make sense to invest in future vacations. That's been 15 years ago and I'm healthy but it still doesn't make sense to invest in DVC.

I am priced out of staying Deluxe. Moderates are near $300 per night with a discount. We felt lucky to get All-Star Sports for the AP Cosmic Rewind Preview for $126 per night!! That includes the AP discount. I'm fine with that price.

And the tickets!! 25 years ago we paid like $39 per ticket. Yeah, that's a long time ago. Does anyone remember the student programs that offered discount tickets? We did a student tour of the Hall of Presidents that was incredible. I don't have young kids anymore so I'm not sure if the special programs are still available.

It is way more expensive. No more adding a 5th day to your park hopper for a few dollars.

I'm just saying the price of Disney has increased faster than inflation. And, no more hopping on magical express or free FPs. The resort parking fee is crazy.

Ironically, it's less expensive to fly on Frontier or Allegiant.

I still go to Disney. We have a little camper and love, LOVE Fort Wilderness. I call Fort Wilderness my DVC.

We felt lucky to get All-Star Sports for the AP Cosmic Rewind Preview for $126 per night!! That includes the AP discount. I'm fine with that price.
This thread is being dramatic. Dolphin is in the 170s for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's the location of Beach Club, just without Stormalong Bay. And decent bed, toiletries, and toilet paper, which DVC has never had while I've stayed there. DVC math doesn't even work against 3-400$ Swolphin. BC math probably doesn't work until even higher than that.

Tickets are the most shocking price in this OP. I was expecting it, and it still surprised me to see it written out.

This thread is being dramatic. Dolphin is in the 170s for Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's the location of Beach Club, just without Stormalong Bay. And decent bed, toiletries, and toilet paper, which DVC has never had while I've stayed there. DVC math doesn't even work against 3-400$ Swolphin. BC math probably doesn't work until even higher than that.

Tickets are the most shocking price in this OP. I was expecting it, and it still surprised me to see it written out.
However, even then the biggest contributor to that was the nearly $2,000 that was spent on lightning lane access through Genie+ and ILL's.

Genie+ really eats into the advantage of the multi-day tickets, since it stays at a flat $15 per day per person regardless.

If I go try to book 10 day park hoppers for 5 adults for my upcoming trip in June, it's $3,500 (through undercover tourist). If I add Genie+ to every day of the trip, that jumps to $4,260. Plus the OP spent well over $1,000 on ILL's, which is quite a lot.

I agree that WDW has been price jumping a lot over the past decade or so, more so than any other company I know of. That doesn't mean there is not a lot of companies that I am not aware of! Which I think is the point of OP. I know we went in 2017 with 2 kids for 5 days, we stayed at POP and we got the quick service meal plan & the memory maker our total cost was $3100 (yes, we had a hotel discount). We went again in 2021- again with 2 kids ( still kid prices) at POP, no meal plan available or memory maker. we did stay 6 days instead of 5. our cost was $4800 BEFORE food. So the cost is about double ( again not exact, but close once you add in food, MM and parking). To go up close to 100% in 4 years is a lot. In fact I don't know of ANYTHING that price jumps quite that much. The hotel cost was over double ( $109 the first time & $225 the second) so it's not just tickets & food, yes we had a Hotel discount for that price. Oh, and both were during prime times. We are going again this summer and our cost is higher, but we are renting DVC points, so in no way is it apples to apples, so I didn't include it. But to be truthful, we all still going, we all still paying, so it will continue to rise, just like any other company would do. maybe not quite as fast as WDW, but they are still there to make money. This will probably we our last trip for a long while. We are one of those families that is getting to where we just won't be able to afford it. many posters are saying if they would just price gouge us more then the parks would be less crowded and the lines fewer, but as we would never be able to go I am not a fan of this.

Just as a side note, we are paying with our DVC at CCV the same price we would have at POP. We did not get some great price that I am aware of, I just bought them through one of the reliable DVC renting sites, so I would not ever compare DVC rental to Disney prices. Now there may be some discount through disney that would make it a better rate but there wasn't when we booked.

To start with. The rooms are
They most certainly are NOT
A Garden View hotel room is in no way shape or form comparable to renting points for a DVC studio. Sorry

Your food isn't even close to apples to apples either. Dining in with grocery delivery compared to BOG and Space 220? Come on now, be truthful at least. You know that's not even apples to oranges close.

Last edited:

Yes, Tickets are the one area where you can compare apples to apples, or as close to them as one can get. Today's ticket type to yesterday's ticket type at least. Ticket prices have gone up by bonkers prices.

Food though, that one is one place I shake my head at. Folks who balk at theme park food prices must not go to many sporting events. Disney prices are actually lower than what we pay at sporting events. Heck, we are frequent dining outer's and our meals out are not that much less than a Disney meal out. Less yes, but not half less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter