• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"holiday to the Mickey Mouse" Trip Report

Day 4 - Saturday 11 Feb

Another leisurely start to our day, despite our pondering the previous evening if we might try to 'make it for EMH'. Yeah, like that was gonna happen :lmao: Not a chance!!

On our way to breakfast, we found Winnie the Pooh...

IMG_1736.jpg

The official photo we purchased:
KSCN0001.jpg

We had breakfast at the Hunter Grill this time, but (much to the dismay of several people around us) we took Matthew's portable DVD player with us, and had it on very quietly at breakfast. It just meant that he could sit still long enough to eat something and let us both eat something too.

Mickey Mouse had taken over from Pooh on the way back to our room. I love the way he is cuddling Mickey - such feeling in that cuddle. Maybe that's because I know Matthew though...

IMG_1739.jpg

Matthew loves sitting on his lap, you can see him just pulling his arms around him, hoping Mickey will squeeze him (he loves the deep pressure sensory input):

IMG_1741.jpg

We also purchased this official photo, too:

KSCN0002.jpg

We drove to the park, and went to Salon Mickey. Matthew sat and drank his bottle of milk (he's 5 1/2 now, but still has a bottle of milk, due to his difficult diet) whilst we had a hot chocolate and a cookie each. The nice lady from the Baby Care Center yesterday was working in Salon Mickey today, and was really sweet again, and said "hello Matthieu!" (of course, Matthew ignored her, being as completely oblivious as he always is lol)

We then went out to the Studio, hoping to catch the characters there, since we had still only seen Pooh, Mickey and Goofy the entire time we'd been in France lol! On my previous trips, the Studio front lot was full of characters like Stitch, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale etc but this morning there was just Minnie. Still, one character better than no characters! Matthew was very excited to see her, but couldn't understand that the big black limo wasn't her car. He kept trying to take her hand, and make her get in the car LOL! It was so funny. She was a good sport, and tried the doors for him and held her hands up as if to say "oh, its locked! we can't get in..." Such a sweet moment for him...

See how tightly he's holding her? There's not an ounce of him that wants to sign his book, have a photo taken, or even realises that we are in a theme park, he genuinely cares for her and just wants her to stay with him. It breaks my heart (but in a good way, lol)
IMG_0083a.jpg

Img_0087a.jpg

Img_0089a.jpg

Next up was a ride on Crush's Coaster... This, he loves!

Img_0092a.jpg

Then it was time for the Cars Race Rally:

IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

After this, we all went on the Margic Carpet ride. We realised in the queue line that Matthew needed a nappy change - putting up with the smell made that the longest ride I've been on, lol!! It was nearly time for the parade, so we found a spot and I waited with the buggy while Garry took Matthew and the nappy bag off to the toilets. After a few minutes they came back, but Garry had an odd look on his face...I wondered what was up - but his next sentence answered my question: "Were you half asleep when you packed the rucksack this morning? There're no nappies....." OMG!! Matthew was stinking to high heaven, and we had no nappies! Poor Garry had to walk all the way back to the Sequoia Lodge to get some nappies then come back. I felt sorry for him, and I felt sorry for Matthew having to sit in the buggy in a dirty nappy. I felt awful, what an idiot, I think I just assumed there was still some in there from the day before.

The parade was ok, although now it is just a few floats and there is no show or character interaction at the end, it seems a bit short and bland. You can tell it was designed differently to how it is run now. I tried to take Matthew in to Playhouse Disney but he threw a wobbly when we got through the first door with the big tv screen. No idea why, but he ran back out so I charged after him and we just played around the area outside Cinemagique until Garry got back, which was really quickly bless him, and then order was restored to Disneyland Paris with a well-overdue nappy change!

We didn't want to do the whole Art of Animation because Matthew wouldn't have been able to sit through it (same way he can't sit through Animagique or Cinemagique ) so we went in to the interactive area at the end of the tour, and Matthew really enjoyed painting on the screens....

IMG_1747.jpg

We walked out of the Studios, over to the Disneyland Hotel, and just after we got there, Tigger, Geppeto, Mickey, Chip and Dale came down the stairs. Matthew was beside himself with excitement!! We didn't get any piccies, but we do have it on video, which is great. He did some wonderful bouncing with Tigger!

We popped in to the main park for a ride on Its a Small World - but it was broken. It was nearly time for the parade, so with Matthew in his buggy we waited just outside on the corner near Fantasia Gelati. He really enjoyed watching the parade, until Pooh and Piglet got there. Once they got went passed, he broke down in to uncontrollable crying because he just wanted to follow Pooh and Piglet, but obviously we couldn't. We had to take him out of the area as so many people were getting distressed because of his kicking and thrashing. Its so heartbreaking when this happens as he appears to be behaving so badly, but its not really his fault, he has severe learning disabilities and genuinely can't understand why he can't cuddle Piglet during a parade. Its hard to know whether to take him to these things, and expose him to the risks that this will happen, or just stay at home where there is no risk of disappointment, but also no opportunity for magic.

Luckily, as we walked away from the parade, in to Fantasyland, Its a Small World opened up! Phew! This at least took his mind off things for a short while. Many rides were still closed; Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio etc. but in a change to the scheduled programme Casey Jr was open! Wow! So excited, as Matthew has never ridden this and absolutely loved it. It was so quiet, so we rode for 3 turns in different carriages. Marvellous! Next we took Matthew on Peter Pan, which he also had never ridden before. He enjoyed this, but it was really jerky. I'd never experienced it being that jerky, and I made sure to have my hand on the bar in front of Matthew's chest and my arm around his back.

Then we rode Pirates again, which was as fab as ever. From there, Matthew asked to go on 'the fast train' so we poodled round to Frontierland and found that Big Thunder was down . We wandered around a bit, and then it re-opened woo hoooo!! Garry and Matthew went on, bringing the smile back to Matthew's face.

We were all getting hungry by this point, so decided to eat at Videopolis, so we trekked across to Discoveryland; its so pretty at night with Space Mountain lit up so beautifully. We noticed Autopia was open, so thought we might have a go on this when we'd finished dinner. We both had cheeseburger and fries, and shared a drink; another £20 gone - its so amazing how much food costs at DLP! We changed Matthew's nappy and started our walk out to Autopia... Matthew was insistent on driving and kept pushing Garry's hands away when he interfered hahaha! When they came off the ride, I asked Garry if he had Matthew's Mickey Mouse plush - it wasn't on the buggy anymore, which I'd been sat next to. He didn't have it, so we thought we must have left it in Videopolis...Garry went back, but couldn't find it anywhere and no-one had handed anything in . We searched everywhere we'd been, but it had gone. I felt awful, as it wasn't Matthew who'd lost it - it was us. It was one his grandparents bought him back from Orlando when he was a baby and they went with his cousins. We didn't tell Matthew yet, we hadn't decided how to handle it.

We went on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, then on Autopia again and then walked back up Main Street and headed out of the park. We told Matthew that Mummy and Daddy were very sorry but we'd lost Mickey Mouse, would he like a new one? He totally didn't understand what we were saying, noticed some parked strollers and ran off to play with them. After nearly running over a dozen tired guests walking sleepily out of the park, we curtailed his stroller-wheeling antics and led him in to the shop under the Disneyland Hotel, where he chose a new Mickey Mouse and a Smarties Mickey Mouse dispenser too. We went back to the hotel. By the time we got to the room, we were all too shattered to consider packing for the morning's departure home so we decided to just deal with it when we got up!

Lights off, time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

God I wish my daughter ate Heinz spaghetti! Or anything really! She is currently a sodding nightmare with food, and it gets me incredibly stressed!

She is a character - in a wonderful way, but the pulling the eyelids open in the morning is painful and quite distressing - it's like something out of a horror movie! She is also constantly in princess character atm! Beautiful, but annoying at the same time! :headache:

Kids and food is such a stressful area isn't they - I think it goes back to when they were babies, and how much milk they'd had was of major importance and took up most of my conscious thought, lol. I really need to chill out about it, but I can't!

She still sounds gorgeous, it would be quite nice to swap children for a few hours wouldn't it!?

Aww Rachel, I am loving reading your TR (I am so pleased you managed to get packed btw and didn't worry about your ironing board or about my nightmare case losing incident in Morocco :lmao:)....

Matthew is adorable and you know what, I bet the characters have never been so genuinely hugged in their whole lives - they seemed great with him :thumbsup2. I recall meeting Pluto & Mickey in Cafe Mickey when my DD2 was 6 months old and they both stuck their noses right in her pushchair so that she could pull them and Pluto's whiskers too. Mickey even made his nose vibrate (as it does vibrate if he wants it too) so don't feel too bad about Matthew grabbing them :).

I hope you did have a nice time overall. I think the cold probably did stop a lot of characters being out and about. Totally appreciate what you mean about formal dining with Matthew but maybe Cafe Mickey would be an option if you went back again? You get character interaction but it is much more informal for lunch for example, and of course you aren't stuck to a set meal - literally a pizza or something :goodvibes.

Can't wait to read the final instalment :thumbsup2

First instalment for the Sunday. I would stay up and write more but work is calling me at 6.30am. :eek:

Rachel is suffering from sore fingers so I am attempting to finish the trip report. :surfweb:

Day 5 – Sunday 12 Feb
Going home day. Boooooooo. :sad2:
I set the alarm for 7am, thinking that should be enough time to throw all the things in the bags and into the car :rotfl2:. How wrong I was. Managed to get a few bags packed before breakfast, which we had in the Hunter’s Grill again. Before going down, we stopped off at the character meet where Goofy was on station this time.

IMG_1757.jpg

It was about 9am when we went down and the queue was massive – thank heavens for the VIP pass. We got a table by the window (which was a little bit cold) and set up his highness with his DVD player.

IMG_1760.jpg

Whilst it was very busy, to be fair to the staff, they were running around replenishing everything. We had the usual breakfast (I passed on the ‘hot’ option today as I would rather put 5 euros towards something else in the park). Suitably filled, we went back upstairs to be greeted by Pluto this time. Unfortunately, the listening skills of DS went out the window and the no climbing order was discarded.

IMG_1764.jpg

After a gentle reminder he did get down and had a lovely cuddle. As rach has said, he loves the characters so much and just wants to cuddle them and squeeze them tightly. It is so touching.

IMG_1767.jpg

By now, it was starting to get a little late and I was beginning to stress a bit – OK, a lot. I was aware that the 11am check out time was fast approaching, the car wasn’t loaded (in fact most of the small stuff was still loose in the room) and our time in the park was going to be minimal. Eventually, got the bags all packed, loaded onto the baggage trolley (once I had retrieved it from DS :scared1:) and carefully trundled through reception. It has always bothered be that the Sequoia Lodge reception area is designed with uneven flag stones – the one thing you do not want to run over with a fully laden trolley as the bags have a habit of making a bid for freedom. Managed to get the car loaded and checked out (only 45 mins late) and then off to the park for the last time.
We tried for Salon Mickey, but it closes at 12. Bummer. No extra snacks for the day. So off into the park – which I thought was very quiet. I went into City Hall to enquire if Jessie would be out and about today in the park, anywhere other than the parade. They phoned around but we were out of luck. DS was not going to like this, especially after the interaction outside the Cowboy Cookout last year, same week.

IMG_0929-1.jpg

As it was so quiet, we thought we would chance our arm and let the monster loose on Main Street. I’m not sure if it was brave or silly, with all the shops there, but it did make a lovely picture of DS all by himself in DLRP.

IMG_1771.jpg

Having made it to the hub, it was time to board the car to go back to City Hall, get on the Fire Engine and ride back to the hub. I swear, this would be the most ideal day for DS. Riding up and down Main Street in different vehicles for about 10 hours, simples.

Onto IASW (again). As much as I could moan about the ride (and the song), it is worth riding it just to see the look on DS’s face and the excitement of actually going on a slow boat ride. Having survived it and not gone totally stir crazy with the music, we made our way into the Princess Pavillion – to see the ‘dollies’. Whilst not as good as his interaction with snow white, it was still great to see his reaction to meeting Aurora.

IMG_0134-1.jpg

Strange place to end but more to come later (OK tomorrow).

Garry

I love your report can really feel the love you share for Matthew beautiful writting making me a bit teary! xxx

such wonderful and full of feelings report. So much love. You're such a great and loving mom :hug:

I love your report can really feel the love you share for Matthew beautiful writting making me a bit teary! xxx

:lovestruc Aww thanks hun, that's such a nice thing to say. I just hated the feeling that we'd let him down with so few characters. You know that feeling when you've booked something for a group, and you've really bigged it up and made a massive fuss about how brilliant it is - and then it misses the mark and you look (and feel) like a right idiot; I think thats kind of how I felt. I just wanted it to be so perfect, and it just so wasn't.

Thing is, that is *my* issue not Matthew's, he still had a fab time which is what matters!

such wonderful and full of feelings report. So much love. You're such a great and loving mom :hug:

Thank you for saying that, thats really sweet. I'm known for the 'full of feelings' thing - I can't keep my emotions in sometimes, and I can't hide disappointment - it can be a right pain!

I'm just waiting on DH finishing the last day on the TR - I'm dying to write it but I said he could and I have to give him that chance :rotfl2: (I am not a contreal freak, I am not a control freak :rolleyes1)

:rolleyes1 :surfweb: :laundy: :yay:

OK, having said bye bye to the ‘dollies’ :rotfl:, we took a wander towards Casey Jnr – only to find that it was closed (again) :sad2:. It made us really glad that we found it open on Saturday and got in a few laps. Nevermind though, onto the tea cups for some gratuitous spinning.
IMG_0136.jpg

Although Rach thought the roof made for a nice photo op.
IMG_0138.jpg

With cold and hunger starting to take hold, we took refuge in Toad Hall for some Fish and Chips, a comfy chair, and some much needed warmth :woohoo:. The food was a good portion (we did the single fish meal and a double fish ‘a la carte’) and not at a too extortionate price. DS settled for his spaghetti and sausages (not on the Disney Menu :rolleyes1). Now we were warmed up, suited, booted and ready to go, DS now did his usual trick – he filled his trousers. Cheers :rotfl2:.
After a quick change it was off to Discoveryland, via the ‘secret ‘ route :cool2:. (OK, the one they keep closed for about 90% of the time). It’s a really funny place to walk down as almost no-one was using it and it felt like the park was all ours. DS really enjoyed the queue line for Star Tours – no, not the droids and spaceship part......... try the low level concrete walls outside, that is waaaaaaay more fun :lmao:.
Having cunningly managed to ‘hide’ Space Mountain from DS again as we feel that is one roller coaster to save for a few years time (and they need to re-track it :mad:), it was back onto Autopia where Daddy got to be passenger (again). No chance of sharing the steering, NO DADDY! NO! He really loves the cars and this is a great safe way for him go ‘driving’.
We drifted back onto Main Street and DS was keen to show his driving prowess on the Coke wagon (I wanted to say Coke Float, but that would be childish :thumbsup2)
IMG_1781.jpg

I grabbed a coffee from the Market House Deli (for once a freebie from Disney, remember to check your receipts from the counter service :yay:) and we strolled back to the Town Square for one last time before hitting the road. Rach took a few piccies whilst DS said bye bye to the Mickey and Minnie signs on the lamp posts adjacent to the tram tracks. He likes being held up to signs and touching them. I just thought it was sweet that he wanted to say goodbye to Minnie and Mickey in this way. It also eased our way out of the park as in his mind, the holiday was done and he was going home. This time went so much better than last year.
IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Back to the car, caffeined up, and ready for the 400 mile journey home :scared1:. Whilst sad to be leaving, it was nice to know we would back in June (fingers crossed without the snow suits :rotfl:).
Having done the journey a few times now, I feel very fortunate that driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road isn’t a problem for me and that other than the Disney car park and the 5 miles around Bristol, the whole journey is on motorways. Little did we realise that this journey was going to be harder than usual. With the distinctly arctic weather hitting central and western Europe :eek:, we had a slightly false perspective of the driving conditions. We started in glorious (if a little cold) sunshine with no real sign of snow around. This all changed when we got mid way between Paris and Lille, the sky greyed over and the snow started to fall. The gritters and plows were out and the autoroute was down to 1 lane. Not fun. Fortunately, as we hit the A26 and turned for Calais, the weather was better and we pressed on to the tunnel. Having lost some time on the autoroute, we were still hoping to get an earlier train but unfortunately, this wasn’t to be. Although, in hindsight, the wait in the terminal was good as DS was able to be changed, had a good run around (not entirely where daddy wanted him to exercise), rode the teletubbie carousel and we were able to grab some food and warm up his grub.

For those who do not know, there is a microwave outside the Quick burger restaurant for use in warming ‘baby’ food :thumbsup2.

I just had a nightmare prepping the food as I had forgotten a bowl to put it in before transferring it to the flask – doh (which reminds me, I still need to clean the food flasks out, :rolleyes1). Thanks to the ‘Caffe del Arte’ who provided me with a paper coffee cup – just about big enough to fit a can in :worship:. Typical though, just as I started to warm the food, the shuttle was called and by the time I got to the car, it was like a ghost town outside. Still, we made the shuttle with plenty of time to spare and we got a quick rest before the onward leg.
DS was flagging, and Rach was also running on empty. Luckily, I had Mr ‘Starbucks’ in a can as my friend for next few hours. We made a quick fuel stop mid way home before pulling up on the drive just before 11pm.
IMG_1799.jpg

Somewhat tired, DS stirred very briefly whilst I put him to bed - cuddled up to his favourite Winnie the Pooh :hug:. I made a boo boo by leaving him in his thermal t shirt overnight and by the morning he had gotten too hot and was very dehydrated. After an off dayat home, he had perked up by tea time Monday when I got back home from work.
All that was left for Sunday night was for me to empty the car (how chivalrous) to the front room (where the bags mostly still are :lmao:) and hit the hay. As you can guess, it didn’t take long for us to drop.

5 days, 800 miles, freezing temperatures, snow, arctic winds and a bucket full of memories to last a lifetime. Not a perfect trip, but definately not a disaster.

Roll on June (15 weeks, 2 days and counting).:cheer2:
p.s More characters around the parks please DLRP
Garry

I've just read all of that - lovely report :goodvibes

Your ds is lovely and his hugs with the characters are fantastic :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for sharing - glad you had a good time :)

I've just read all of that - lovely report :goodvibes

Your ds is lovely and his hugs with the characters are fantastic :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for sharing - glad you had a good time :)

Thanks for reading!

I currently wouldn't agree about DS being lovely; he's just been a right sh!t to go to bed and I am exhausted. :headache: LOL!

...but he can be lovely so I shouldn't moan too much, lol.

Lovely TR - love how much your DS loves the characters, such a shame the cold kept some of them inside :( Hopefully in June you'll have lovely weather and lots of characters!

Enjoyed reading that ~ I hope for your next trip in June that you'll have MUCH warmer weather and tons more characters. :wizard: :wizard:

Hi, I really loved your TR, I think you guys are great parents and your son is adorable :) I love the photos of him hugging the characters, especially Minnie, made my heart smile :lovestruc

We have a daughter with ASD too so I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. Every day is an adventure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter