Historical 7 month availability early/mid December

grahf1234

Mouseketeer
Was looking at some historical data on booking at the 7 month point for a 8-12 days stay in early/mid December. Availability looks really rough from what I’ve seen at almost any resort except for maybe SSR. Checked both 2022 and 2023 data.

Does that sound true to those of you who have experience?
Is it ever possible to have a little longer stay in early December @7 months without doing split stays? Maybe 2022 and 2023 decembers were tighter than normal?

First week of December has long been the highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW. Second week has been third highest (Christmas week is second). Third week is somewhat better but still in the high category.

Finding anything anywhere at 7 months out for that first and second week can be difficult. SSR provides the best chance, though even low there of having an opening for many consecutive days, followed by Kidani and OKW, and 1BRs elsewhere may sometimes have an opening, but trying to find any one resort and room for 8-12 consecutive days has a very high probability of not happening.

Last edited:
Some flukes do exist depending on the flexibility of your schedule. Because some people try to book the mid-week days and not weekends to save on points, sometimes staying over a weekend opens up a few extra opportunities.

I had booked my stays in January for June and September this year...I typically go 4 times a year - and didn't book a December as I wasn't sure what week I was going to be open - I figured I'd get around to it after another month or so. Unfortunately, I had lots of distractions moving my office and with some family health emergencies, and as I prepare for my September trip to Boardwalk next month, I realized I had never booked a December trip yet. So two days ago, I hopped onto DVC to check if I was out of luck sometime in the first two weeks of December - it looked bleak for a 1-bedroom for Fri - Tues, 1st - 5th. Tried 8th - 12th and there were spotty rooms, but none fully available. But when I checked the available days chart, I noticed that the initial Friday the 8th was the one not available - at Saratoga or OKW, I could get all the other days, and Wednesdays were open too. By shifting my reservation to Saturday the 9th through Wednesday the 13th, I was able to grab a Preferred 1-bedroom for this December, at less than 3 months out.

This would be more difficult for a family planning a big Disney trip from out of state, arranging planes and times off - I'm a Florida resident, an easy 2 1/2 hr drive away, often just travel with one family member or friend or sometimes solo, and I have plenty of vacation days at work so I can easily shift the trip by a day or two as needed. And if you were looking for more than 5 days, that would get significantly more difficult at this short notice.

Definitely not going to be easy to get a full week to 12 days at 7 months without a split stay if you can’t secure your home resort prior.

Nothing is ever impossible and as the one post shows…things can happen last minutes…but it’s never wise to count on that during the busiest weeks for DVC bookings.

Was looking at some historical data on booking at the 7 month point for a 8-12 days stay in early/mid December. Availability looks really rough from what I’ve seen at almost any resort except for maybe SSR. Checked both 2022 and 2023 data.

Does that sound true to those of you who have experience?
Is it ever possible to have a little longer stay in early December @7 months without doing split stays? Maybe 2022 and 2023 decembers were tighter than normal?
@grahf1234 - what tool do you use to look at historical data on 7 month availability? just getting started with DVC and this would be so helpful to understand availability! thanks in advance.

I did get a wait list for a studio at Boulder Ridge on Dec 9. A studio at Beach Club will be open for that night

This year we were able to get a one bedroom at Boulder Ridge for four nights in late November/early December at the seven month point. I believe that week is likely the best option for the holiday season after Thanksgiving.

This year we were able to get a one bedroom at Boulder Ridge for four nights in late November/early December at the seven month point. I believe that week is likely the best option for the holiday season after Thanksgiving.
Funny that happened for us as well. We got a 1bd in the same week as you at BRV for DH's birthday and our annual Xmas decorations trip. I do not expect to have this kind of luck again as any WL rooms seem to go fast at 11 months for the week after Thanksgiving.

Everything is so different lately I wouldn’t even look at history. We booked poly for first 8 days of may at 11 month and we’re hoping to grab 3 more with our OKW contract at 7 months. We do it all the time no problem. It’s been gone for quite a while and we are still 8 months out. May has never been hard for me. Just glad we bought at poly and own most of our points there since it seems to be harder and harder to get. September was harder this year too.

Funny that happened for us as well. We got a 1bd in the same week as you at BRV for DH's birthday and our annual Xmas decorations trip. I do not expect to have this kind of luck again as any WL rooms seem to go fast at 11 months for the week after Thanksgiving.
This is the first time since I became a member in 2003 that I've been able to snag a Christmastime reservation outside of my home resort. It was a pleasant surprise.

Everything is so different lately I wouldn’t even look at history. We booked poly for first 8 days of may at 11 month and we’re hoping to grab 3 more with our OKW contract at 7 months. We do it all the time no problem. It’s been gone for quite a while and we are still 8 months out. May has never been hard for me. Just glad we bought at poly and own most of our points there since it seems to be harder and harder to get. September was harder this year too.

This is the first time since I became a member in 2003 that I've been able to snag a Christmastime reservation outside of my home resort. It was a pleasant surprise.
We have been members since 2004 and we are noticing the same things. I think a couple factors might be contributing to recent trends. There is still shake out from the DVC point debacle that the COVID shut down caused. There are also soooo many points that have been sold recently for large point properties causing an abundance of useable points but all these points are being used to book the properties and times that cost the fewest number of points. DVC has also adjusted point charts so that historically low point use times are now costing people more points causing them to shift travel times.

Early December is "buy where you don't mind staying and book before the seven month window opens" territory.
Even then, at 1-months, if I want a studio at either: @BWV, standard at BWV or value @ jambo generally find myself doing a non leisurely walk or hoping to pick up the crumbs

Just glad we bought at poly and own most of our points there since it seems to be harder and harder to get. September was harder this year too.
Yep. The “buy where you want to stay” adage no longer is reliable if wanting studio

Even then, at 1-months, if I want a studio at either: @BWV, standard at BWV or value @ jambo generally find myself doing a non leisurely walk or hoping to pick up the crumbs
Do you mean you have to stitch together a longer stay for peak times at 11 months via waitlists and such? I know these room types are super popular, but thought home resort should have a small window to snag for at least a few days at 11 months.

Do you mean you have to stitch together a longer stay for peak times at 11 months via waitlists and such? I know these room types are super popular, but thought home resort should have a small window to snag for at least a few days at 11 months.

Not things like VAKL Concierge or Value year round or BWV standard for much of the year. Especially studios. And with BWV because everything is a lockoff, two bedrooms become a problem as well. Generally speaking, something will be available at home eleven months out - and something will include a studio - but it won't necessarily be a cheap studio or a studio in high demand. I know of no situation where people are locked out of studios at eleven months completely - just locked out of those high demand units.

With resorts that have two or more point charts, do your point math around the higher point chart - if the lower point rooms are available (and you want them - we generally don't), book it.

A big problem is that a lot of people did their math assuming those low point rooms - and stretching points is a great thing - get an extra night or two out of your points. But not everyone who owns gets to do that.

Yes. I’ve been trailing behind the walker horde for majority of my dates at my home resort the last few years

I joined the walking club for my stay at BWv starting this Sunday, standard studio. This after getting shut out for July.

Did the same for 4th of July trip @ AK V

WL & stalked BWv. Was only able to get one night there over 4th of July trip this year @ 31 days prior. Modified the walked AKV trip

Same as with WLv (thanksgiving thru December time frames). It’s really a tough grab

File it under when at rome…doesn’t mean I necessarily like the process

For 4th of July 2024, a month out of 12months didn’t do walking trick. I grabbed crumbs via walkers’ cancellations at AKV V studio. Rather stressful TBH
Not things like VAKL Concierge or Value year round or BWV standard for much of the year. Especially studios.
We travel during popular DVC times. You do what you do to make your family happy

However, we did buy where we wanted to stay. Rarely switch at 7 months

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter