• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Himalayan Salt Lamps

Himalayan salt is popular in the US because it seems exotic to us. It's not even from the Himalayas, technically. It is mined in ONE mine in Pakistan, away from the mountains. Any notion that a chunk of rock has healing powers is nothing more than a myth.

Snipped from the article above:
"True Himalayan salt lamps are made from salt harvested from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan.

Salt sourced from this area is believed to be millions of years old, and although it’s very similar to table salt, the small amounts of minerals it contains give it a pink color. "
So basically a mountain millions of years old is being plundered & depleted just for a fad that isn't even scientifically proven. Not a fan. :sad2:

Snipped from the article above:
"True Himalayan salt lamps are made from salt harvested from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan.

Salt sourced from this area is believed to be millions of years old, and although it’s very similar to table salt, the small amounts of minerals it contains give it a pink color. "
So basically a mountain millions of years old is being plundered & depleted just for a fad that isn't even scientifically proven. Not a fan. :sad2:

Yep, although, technically the mine is underground, and NOT part of the mountain. It's in a flat area of Pakistan a bit away from the edge of the mountain range.

It's also not a renewable resource, so when it's gone, it's gone. It's also quite enviornmentally damaging to the surrounding ecosystem and the amount of carbon footprint that it takes to transport this salt around the world so that people can have a "pretty pink salt shaker" on their kitchen table.

Actual chefs don't ever use this stuff in food. Sea salts are regarded much more highly by trained chefs. It's also much easier to obtain and transport. Sea salt is also renewable.

ha, DD and I just sat in a salt cave for an hour last week! It was a good deal on Groupon and since we both have allergies and it's supposedly good for your lungs, etc. figured it couldn't hurt. I did cough up some gunk within the next 24 hours so it may have helped?? I do know we both felt really relaxed and slept great that night.

I'll be the first to admit I have them in hopes of them having some benefit. I'm on a bunch of daily meds, have lots of filter systems, masks, etc. for my allergies and asthma. I use allergy free products whenever possible. After my last big issue I even wear a highly dubious personal filtration system around my neck when I'm in public places where I might get trapped with fragrance. I do EVERYTHING I can to try to live my life and be able to go to church, restaurants, fly on airplanes, etc. and everything I can do to keep my own home's air "clean." I was highly criticized by some on a recent fragrance allergy thread here about how it was my responsibility to deal with my allergies and no one else's with quite a few folks proud to say they'll wear whatever they want and plenty of it. (Thankfully most were sympathetic!)

So, if there's even an inkling it might help, I give it a try. Saline spray up my nose helps, going to the ocean and breathing in the air helps. I figure a little salt won't hurt and if it could help.... I haven't come to any conclusions, but I plan on using them as long as they aren't hurting anything. When the next thing comes along that says it will help, I'll probably try that too! (as long as it doesn't have a bunch of chemicals/plants or MORE things I could be allergic too in it!)

I'm interested in buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp for my room as we are going to redo it, with a hard wood floor (i'm excited).

I'm curious whether or not Himalayan Salt Lamps really work for health benefits such as:
Increases blood flow, Improves Sleeping, Boosts Serotonin Levels, Reduces Asthma Symptoms, Increases Energy Levels, Improves Your Mood, Improves Breathing, Reduces Stress…

Most of them are just lame claims and nothing else

I'll be the first to admit I have them in hopes of them having some benefit. I'm on a bunch of daily meds, have lots of filter systems, masks, etc. for my allergies and asthma. I use allergy free products whenever possible. After my last big issue I even wear a highly dubious personal filtration system around my neck when I'm in public places where I might get trapped with fragrance. I do EVERYTHING I can to try to live my life and be able to go to church, restaurants, fly on airplanes, etc. and everything I can do to keep my own home's air "clean." I was highly criticized by some on a recent fragrance allergy thread here about how it was my responsibility to deal with my allergies and no one else's with quite a few folks proud to say they'll wear whatever they want and plenty of it. (Thankfully most were sympathetic!)

So, if there's even an inkling it might help, I give it a try. Saline spray up my nose helps, going to the ocean and breathing in the air helps. I figure a little salt won't hurt and if it could help.... I haven't come to any conclusions, but I plan on using them as long as they aren't hurting anything. When the next thing comes along that says it will help, I'll probably try that too! (as long as it doesn't have a bunch of chemicals/plants or MORE things I could be allergic too in it!)
Have you tried a sinus rinse? I'm very prone to sinus infections so have created a nasal congestion protocol for before bed. 1. Take a hot steamy shower. 2. Use saline mist and wait a few minutes to let the mist further loosen up your congestion. 3. Do a Neil Med sinus rinse, following the included instruction. 4. Use the nasal spray recommended by my allergist. 5. Sleep with my head elevated and a humidifier by the bed.

If that isn't enough, I use Afrin nasal spray in conjection with my usual one for no more than 3 nights in a row. I also sometimes use an oil diffuser with eucalyptis oil in it.

I've recommend this protocol to others and most of them have told me that it really helped.

If that's still not enough, I make an appointment to see my allergist. Do you have an allergist?

Have you tried a sinus rinse? I'm very prone to sinus infections so have created a nasal congestion protocol for before bed. 1. Take a hot steamy shower. 2. Use saline mist and wait a few minutes to let the mist further loosen up your congestion. 3. Do a Neil Med sinus rinse, following the included instruction. 4. Use the nasal spray recommended by my allergist. 5. Sleep with my head elevated and a humidifier by the bed.

If that isn't enough, I use Afrin nasal spray in conjection with my usual one for no more than 3 nights in a row. I also sometimes use an oil diffuser with eucalyptis oil in it.

I've recommend this protocol to others and most of them have told me that it really helped.

If that's still not enough, I make an appointment to see my allergist. Do you have an allergist?
Unfortunately, congestion isn't really my issue. Its an asthma type reaction, so my lungs and breathing in general is the issue. I have an allergist, but i can't stop people from wearing the fragrances I'm allergic to. I'm already on all the appropriate meds, 3 inhalers, two pills, nasal spray, cremes for rashes, etc daily. I can't predict when people are going to be wearing patchouli etc. I just do my best to get away from them quickly.

Editing to add- if people are wearing a reasonable amount of fragrance I can just move away. However people that you smell just walking into a room present real danger to me and others with fragrance allergies. It continually surprises me that there are people who want people they aren't close enough to touch to smell them and/or why don't their loved ones tell them they have on too much fragrance!

Last edited:
That's awful. My reaction to scents is just a migraine. Yours is way worse.

There is ZERO reputable scientific evidence that it has any of the powers they claim. Just sounds like a clever way to market salt from Pakistan. Also wouldn't be surprised to find that some of what is sold is simply local rock salt dyed a pinkish color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter