Highway in the Sky Dine Around with Wishes viewing area

Thanks for the report! It sounds like some things changed? I think other groups went to the Garden View Room (?) at the Grand Floridian after dinner for champagne and the cheese board. You got the cheese at the Contemporary? And were there cordials when you had the desserts at the Contemporary? TIA

Just a quick report on our Dine Around dinner last night. We checked in before 445 at the Wave, about half the group was already there. We were put in a smallish seating area where they served us the first drink and a (tiny) cup of good butternut squash soup. The chef came out to introduce the soup.

Let me say that the first appetizers were small- one bite small. Prepare yourself for that but know that the main course at Citricos is a regular dinner size, and makes up for hunger to that point.

After about half hour (they gave a 5-10 minute go to the bathroom warning before leaving each location) we went up to the monorail. We had the last car each time reserved for the group. That was nice- no line and right into a car! No breakdowns, either.

Went to Polynesian, and outside to Trader Sams. At this point they gathered together those with allergies and their eating partners to make sure they were served correctly. Here we had the radish/beet bite, tuna, and the pork belly. For those that didn't eat fish there was a double portion (2 bites) of the beets. There was also the signature drink here, and those that wanted additional drinks were able to purchase. By the end of the evening a good portion of the group was quite...happy. It's a lot of alcohol.

On to Grand Floridian and up to Citricos. The food allergy group was seated at one large table and the others at another. The no fish got a double portion of the tender beef short ribs. There was red and or white wine, coffee if desired and nice fresh bread. We were here the longest-- after eating about 40 minutes they gave champagne to go and we lingered on the balcony for another half hour or so (inside, so I guess, on the 2d floor), then on to Contemporary.

We went to our place on the 4th floor balcony where there were hot drinks, cheese and the desserts. There was not a cheese board- they had them served buffet style (3 or 4 cheeses, two desserts). We got here about 730 or so, and had half hour to linger til the fireworks started. That was the best part- great view, music piped in. There are seats for about half the group, so when we got there many went and sat on the benches or put coats-- so if you want to sit- do that first!

There were 4 nice cast members that accompanied us thru the night.

Be prepared to chat with strangers, speak up if you don't want the alcoholic drinks, and don't panic with the small appetizers.

Thanks for the report! It sounds like some things changed? I think other groups went to the Garden View Room (?) at the Grand Floridian after dinner for champagne and the cheese board. You got the cheese at the Contemporary? And were there cordials when you had the desserts at the Contemporary? TIA

So only 2 desserts at fireworks? Also curious about cordials?

Will be traveling with an ECV. is there much walking? I could handle a small amount of walking with a cane and pick it up after the event. Getting on and off the monorail and getting to the restaurants will it be a problem? Wondering if there are monorail issues and they need to supply alternate transportation will that be an issue.

So only 2 desserts at fireworks? Also curious about cordials?

I'm curious about this too. Looks like they cut down on the food served. Oddly enough I was actually looking forward to the cheese plate in the GF tea room the most (I know silly right). I was able to book this for March since they opened new dates so even with less food and experience I guess I can't complain. Does anyone know the price now? Did it decrease? Looks like without tax and gratuity mine was around $129.15 each and I thought it was $150 (not complaining).

I'm curious about this too. Looks like they cut down on the food served. Oddly enough I was actually looking forward to the cheese plate in the GF tea room the most (I know silly right). I was able to book this for March since they opened new dates so even with less food and experience I guess I can't complain. Does anyone know the price now? Did it decrease? Looks like without tax and gratuity mine was around $129.15 each and I thought it was $150 (not complaining).

WHAT????!!!! We did pay $150! And I don't think you're silly because I was looking forward to the cheese plate as well.

I didn't book it but I was able to make a reservation for 2 on March 8th and the total came to $316...

I'm not until March.

Anyone going in next few weeks we'd appreciate a review, and what you got at each stop. I'm really hoping the menu hasn't been reduced.

Oh and any pictures always welcome.

I'm not until March.

Anyone going in next few weeks we'd appreciate a review, and what you got at each stop. I'm really hoping the menu hasn't been reduced.

Oh and any pictures always welcome.

Me too... I've been so hyped for this it will be a downer.

Less food? In looking at the photo review posted above and reading along with the description it seems the same to me. Maybe less desserts, if there are truly only 2, and maybe a change in where you get the cheese but it's still there. So the only loss, if there are only 2, are 2 desserts. Or did I miss something. I can't tell from the way it's written but I wonder if the PP was part of the allergy group and did that change the desserts they could choose from?

they gave champagne to go and we lingered on the balcony for another half hour or so (inside, so I guess, on the 2d floor), then on to Contemporary.

We went to our place on the 4th floor balcony where there were hot drinks, cheese and the desserts. There was not a cheese board- they had them served buffet style (3 or 4 cheeses, two desserts).

Looks like from the review the cheese was moved to the Contemporary with the desserts.

Looks like from the review the cheese was moved to the Contemporary with the desserts.

This is not good! Part of the enjoyment is the ambiance of the venues. I really don't want to be handed "champagne to go" and asked to stand around on the 2nd floor balcony instead of comfortably seated. The champagne was ice cold and perfect for savoring with the cheese board. The time spent at the dessert venue is for coffee, cordials and winding down. After the fireworks you feel like they are waiting for you to leave. This makes it seem like you are being rushed through. I will consider cancelling this event.

Less food? In looking at the photo review posted above and reading along with the description it seems the same to me. Maybe less desserts, if there are truly only 2, and maybe a change in where you get the cheese but it's still there. So the only loss, if there are only 2, are 2 desserts. Or did I miss something. I can't tell from the way it's written but I wonder if the PP was part of the allergy group and did that change the desserts they could choose from?

You are right, it's hard to tell. I looked at a review of one of the first ones and it looked like there were 3 appys at Poly but the review only mentions one or two and then the 2 desserts thing. Hopefully we will get another review coming from someone soon so we can compare.

There were 3 apps at the Poly- tuna, beet and pork belly. There was one (soup) at the Wave. The cheese was definitely at the Contemporary, on the 4th fl viewing balcony. Can't speak to cordials, I dont drink, but I'm 99% sure yes there were, also coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. There was no cheese 'board'- the cheeses (Tillamook, cheddar and brie, small pieces of bread) were on platters and the bread in baskets. Nothing individual for each person or couple. There were the 2 desserts ( I dont think I missed any)... The champagne was handed out at the end of the bar at Citricos, in plastic champagne flutes- we then walked left past the band on the same level, around another 1/4 turn. There were a few couches in that area, but really people stood around. At one point the CM took us outside there on the balcony for a group picture, then back inside for another 10-15 minutes. Then we went on the monorail over to Cont.. Maybe people still had champagne left. More was not served at Contemp.

I got a call from Disney earlier in the afternoon confirming food allergy and asking about mobility. I think if you have a wheelchair or ecv you can tell them then and Im sure accomodations would be made (elevators not escalators or stairs). There was a fair amount of walking over all but not horrible.

Thanks for the clarification.
Hard to know if it's a change or if the area at GF was unavailable that night.
Would love to dig up more reviews somewhere, see if there is any consistency.
In the meantime, it's not enough of a change to prompt a cancellation from me. 2 vs. 4 desserts and cheese still there, just in a new spot. Honestly, lack of blue cheese is a bonus for me ;)

I liked the idea of the cheese and champagne winding down after Citricos. Not a fan of the cheese combined in with the desserts... kind of takes something away after reading the original reviews. Maybe if it started that way I wouldn't feel so bad. Not enough to make me cancel either but hopefully it was just for that night. If not - let's hope there aren't any other changes that decrease from the original event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter