Hidden treasures

MrEVILdrPorkchop2u

DIS Veteran
My family and I have been to Disney countless times. By far it is our favorite place to be. It allows us to all be kids again. We are headed back in Dec. for my 40th Birthday and our sons last family vacation before Highschool graduation. We are headed down with our DS, DD 12, DS's best friend,Aunt, and grown cousin. Our son's friend and my Aunt and cousin have never been. We are looking for some hidden treasures to make this trip extra magical. We are curious as to what others do to make a trip extra special. We want this trip to be the most memorable ever. Not just for us but for our first time guests! Thanks in advance!!!

Animation Gift Shop in Animation Court in Hollywood Studios has an entrance in the back of the shop that will allow you to go to the back area of The Magic of Disney Animation. What is neat about this is that there are many characters wandering around this area for you to take pictures with. We took pictures with Sorcerer Mickey , Stitch, Frozone(The Incredibles). Characters change all the time. Crowds tend to be minimal.

Darkside said:
Animation Gift Shop in Animation Court in Hollywood Studios has an entrance in the back of the shop that will allow you to go to the back area of The Magic of Disney Animation. What is neat about this is that there are many characters wandering around this area for you to take pictures with. We took pictures with Sorcerer Mickey , Stitch, Frozone(The Incredibles). Characters change all the time. Crowds tend to be minimal.

We have NEVER been back there. Never even realized that was back there! Sounds amazing, that is exactly the kind of thing we are hoping to discover. That's now on our to-do list!

We have NEVER been back there. Never even realized that was back there! Sounds amazing, that is exactly the kind of thing we are hoping to discover. That's now on our to-do list!

In the same space, you can also take a short class wherein they teach you how to draw a character. You know won't know what character until you are in the seat, but it's a lot of fun. It doesn't matter if you can draw, or not. I think they run every thirty minutes..? It's probably my favorite thing to do at Hollywood Studios.:thumbsup2

BebopBaloo said:
In the same space, you can also take a short class wherein they teach you how to draw a character. You know won't know what character until you are in the seat, but it's a lot of fun. It doesn't matter if you can draw, or not. I think they run every thirty minutes..? It's probably my favorite thing to do at Hollywood Studios.:thumbsup2

This also sounds incredible! Any idea how much this costs to do? I can't believe we didn't know about this place! That is the one park we seem to beeline for the rides and not slow down to look at things. This MUST change! Anyone else have any suggestions? Keep them coming!

This also sounds incredible! Any idea how much this costs to do? I can't believe we didn't know about this place! That is the one park we seem to beeline for the rides and not slow down to look at things. This MUST change! Anyone else have any suggestions? Keep them coming!

The class is free.

Another freebie is Club Cool at Epcot. Try Cokes from around the world.

I did the drawing thing at DisneyQuest after it first opened. It was a pretty cool class & was free with admission to DQ not sure how much it is at DHS though. I loveeeeeee going into Art of Disney stores. The stuff is pricey but I enjoy looking at it.

If you have younger kids you can get your haircut at the barber shop in MK? That is a unique thing to do. :) I try to try a new food/snack every time at WDW. I tried the new caramel place in germany last trip & it was so yummy!

MrEVILdrPorkchop2u said:

It is free. We did it last time with the kids, they loved it. The. Classes fill up quick, you have to sit and wait.

w-family said:
It is free. We did it last time with the kids, they loved it. The. Classes fill up quick, you have to sit and wait.

Do the classes run all day from open to close? My DD would love this.

Pixiedust34 said:
The class is free.

Another freebie is Club Cool at Epcot. Try Cokes from around the world.

Trying the free Coke from different countries on this trip will be a must do! Can someone tell us where Club Cool is located in Epcot please. These ideas are GREAT!

I can think of 2 "hidden gems" that our family has enjoyed.

One is the Dapper Dans. We love being able to catch their sets on Main St. I have a Disney friend who is part of a choir and hearing them brings him to mind.

The second if Miyuki at the Japanese pavillion. She makes animal creations out of taffy while you watch. And hearing her describe what she is doing to the animals like "making wings" or "painting his stripes" is cool. My children were very fortunate in the past to be able to receive the candies (I have pics somewhere), but she is no longer allowed to give the candies away (I don't think they were edible anyway).

Hope you like these!

There are a few characters in here all the time. But the extra ones that wander and change only come out around 4:45 on days there is no Fantasmic prior to 7:30. Since Fantasmic runs most nights in December at 6:30, there probably won't be the extra characters when the OP is there.

Yes, the class is absolutely free. We've never had to wait longer than 20minutes for it. I think it runs for most of the day. Something else - Have you met PUSH the talking trash can in Tomorrowland?

bas71873 said:
Do the classes run all day from open to close? My DD would love this.

Yep, as far as I know it does :) It runs like any other attraction, and the preshow with Mushu cracks me up every time :D

BebopBaloo said:
Yes, the class is absolutely free. We've never had to wait longer than 20minutes for it. I think it runs for most of the day. Something else - Have you met PUSH the talking trash can in Tomorrowland?

Yes, we did meet PUSH LOL!! First time we saw it was 2 trips ago. DD thought it was the coolest thing and we couldn't get her away from it!

The second if Miyuki at the Japanese pavillion. She makes animal creations out of taffy while you watch. And hearing her describe what she is doing to the animals like "making wings" or "painting his stripes" is cool. My children were very fortunate in the past to be able to receive the candies (I have pics somewhere), but she is no longer allowed to give the candies away (I don't think they were edible anyway).

A year or so ago, we were watching something on tv and we saw this and thought how cool that would be to see! It's funny that even though you can go to Disney many many times, just how much you haven't gotten to do or see! I'm really excited to try some new things this trip! :)

Yep, as far as I know it does :) It runs like any other attraction, and the preshow with Mushu cracks me up every time :D

Just a friendly heads up - if you want to see the pre-show w/ Mushu..a short film about animation, don't cut through the gift shop. Go around the side and through the main entrance ( to the left of the gift shop). When you come out of the film you will be dropped into the building that houses the characters and drawing class.

BebopBaloo said:
Just a friendly heads up - if you want to see the pre-show w/ Mushu..a short film about animation, don't cut through the gift shop. Go around the side and through the main entrance ( to the left of the gift shop). When you come out of the film you will be dropped into the building that houses the characters and drawing class.

Thx!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter