Hi! New here & completely overwhelmed on where to start

kscarby

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm a Disney newbie. I've always wanted to go, but never had the chance. My parents went on their honeymoon, but they hate crowds, so they never took my brother & me. LOL. So...I'm totally overwhelmed on where to start planning a DW vacation. :confused3 We are hoping to go next summer-June or July 2012 :yay:since I'm a speech therapist in the schools. Our daughters will be 8, 5, & 5 (twins) when we go. We are kind of looking at the Polynesian. Looks nice!?

Any advice is appreciated!

mtsfg1.gif

Hello! I'm a Disney newbie. I've always wanted to go, but never had the chance. My parents went on their honeymoon, but they hate crowds, so they never took my brother & me. LOL. So...I'm totally overwhelmed on where to start planning a DW vacation. :confused3 We are hoping to go next summer-June or July 2012 :yay:since I'm a speech therapist in the schools. Our daughters will be 8, 5, & 5 (twins) when we go. We are kind of looking at the Polynesian. Looks nice!?

Any advice is appreciated!
If you do not return to school until about Labor Day, you could take advantage of the current free dining offer that is valid for stays between August 28 - September 24. It's a huge money saver and the crowds won't be too bad in late August. It will be hot though.

I usually recommend at least 5 days for people who are new to Disney - 2 days Magic Kingdom, 1 day Epcot, 1 day Animal Kingdom and 1 day Disney Hollywood studios. I also recommend the base tickets and not the more expensive park hoppers - if you are new to Disney you really don't need them.

We have stayed at all level of Disney resorts - there are 3 categories, Value, Moderate and Deluxe - and they are all great, but really if you are planning on spending most of your time at the parks and not the resort, I would recommend a value resort. All-Star Movies is our favorite resort. But Disney can fit any budget, so if you want to spend more money, Port Orleans is our favorite Moderate Resort and The Poloynesian is our favorite Deluxe Resort.

Another piece of advice, pick up a copy of The Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World and check out their companion website, www.touringplans.com. I use their crowd/best days calendar to plan all our park days and then once I know which park we will be in on which days I can make my Advance Dining Reservations around those parks or in resorts close to those parks.

There are tips I give to anyone new to touring WDW:

1. Make sure you have Advance Dining Reservations as a lot of table service restaurants do not take walk-ups during free dining or busy crowd seasons.

2. Get to the parks at opening. You really can get a lot done in the morning because so many other people sleep in.

3. Eat lunch around 11:00 or 11:30 a.m. before the fast food places get busy. Then when while everyone else is eating lunch, you will have lower crowds.

4. I buy a ton of the two for a dollar ponchos at the dollar store and keep them in the backpack. That way you can throw them a way after use and not worry about keeping up with a wet bulky poncho the rest of the day. Bring throw away ponchos to wear on Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, if not you WILL get soaked.

5. Other things I put in the backpack each morning are Tylenol/Motrin, small first aid kit, camera with extra batteries, small hand towel, hand sanitizer, wipes and a bottle of water.

6. Most single service items under $4.00 are considered a snack credit on the dining plan. A Turkey Leg is NOT a snack credit.

7. At Magic Kingdom always head to Fantasyland first, if you are not doing Fantasyland on a particular day then head to Splash Mountain first, then Big Thunder Mountain; at Epcot always ride Soarin' first and get a Fastpass for later after you get off of the ride; at Disney Hollywood Studios always ride Toy Story Mania first, then head over to Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror; and at Animal Kingdom ride Expedition Everest First then head to the Safari.

8. Favorite fast food restaurants at MK are Pecos Bills and Cosmic Rays; favorite fast food at Animal Kingdom is Flame Tree Grill and Pizzafari. If you are there while it very hot, go to Pizzafari.

9. If there are two lines going into an attraction, always take the line that goes to the left.

10. My best tip would have to be USE THE FASTPASS SYSTEM. Our rule of thumb is if the wait is 25 minutes or less, we wait in line. If the wait is 30 minutes or more, use a Fastpass. It is not highly publicized, but your Fastpass does not expire until the end of the day. You can never use it before the return time stamp on the pass, but you can always use it after. We try to collect Fastpasses during the early part of the day and then use them later in the afternoon when the parks become more crowded.

Click on this link and it will give you an excellent overview of Fastpass. It is from Doconeil here on the Disboards and super helpful:

http://www.oinc.net/disney/fastpass.php

If you still don't understand, just let me know your specific questions.

11. I like the Photopass. You can pre-buy it before your trip for $99.00. When you enter the parks you will see the staff photographers, they will take your pictures and give you a Photopass and you can use that for the rest of your trip. Each time you see a photographer have them take your picture and they will scan your picture. Then when you get home you can pull up the pictures, with the code they email you after purchase, and pick the photos you want on a CD. They will then mail you the CD and the copyrights to the CD and you can take them to Walmart or Walgreens or wherever and get them developed. They also have a lot of cool software that you can use to edit your photos before you have them put on the CD.

My favorite Disney planning sites are:

www.disboards.com
www.allearsnet.com
www.wdwinfo.com
www.intercot.com

Wow, PrincessTiffany - Great Information! I'm a newbie too and found all of your tips to be priceless. Thank you so much!

Glad I am not the only one trying to figure out how to set up account and manage groups/forums

Thanks SO MUCH for the beginning info! Unfortunately, we always start back to school way before Labor Day. This year we are starting on Aug. 15th. :eek:

And I am still overwhelmed, but...we are looking at the Polynesian. It looks wonderful! And I greatly appreciate all the info!!

Hi,
You will have a wonderful trip when you decide to go.
Don't know where you teach (and have not read the other posts) but I, too, work in the school system and we went the last wee of May/start of June. Of course it was busy, but not nearly as busy as the time we went in July.
Be sure to get yourself a guide book...or two and read it cover to cover. Part of the real FUN of the trip to Disney is the planning. Remember you can make reservations with a reservation on property 6 months out and people do so get ahead of the game.
Give yourself plenty of time so that you can enjoy the parks, the pool at your resort and keep a semi-normal schedule for your 5 year olds. This way everyone will have fun and not be too tired the week you get back!
If you stay on property you can take advantage of the early morning extra magic hours and they are awesome! Not crowded and so much cooler!
Enjoy the journey!

Thank you for your advice! I work in Illinois. We are usually out the last week of May. I'll have to tell my hubby that it's a little less crowded than July then too. Thanks!

:welcome: The Poly is fantastic. We are planning our next trip for June 2012. I can't wait. Your kids will love it. Check out all of the boards here and you will find a wealth of information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter