HHI LOVERS THREAD

I'm excited to be staying at Hilton Head for the first time at the end of March. I'll be flying in and landing around 11 am on a Sunday (assuming everything goes smoothly). I'm looking for recommendations for Sunday Brunch somewhere where I could make a reservation, so I can cancel it if I run into difficulties for some reason.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm excited to be staying at Hilton Head for the first time at the end of March. I'll be flying in and landing around 11 am on a Sunday (assuming everything goes smoothly). I'm looking for recommendations for Sunday Brunch somewhere where I could make a reservation, so I can cancel it if I run into difficulties for some reason.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I like Ela's on the Water. It's within walking distance of the resort! http://www.elasgrille.com/menus

I have searched back about 4 months in this thread, and can’t seem to find an answer to this question. Are hammocks still available around the resort, or have those been temporarily removed?
We are hopefully headed to HHI for our annual trip in early March, and those are a favorite of the whole family!

I’m also not seeing specific mention, but I’m assuming that B’lou and Shadow are not currently out and about? 😢❤️

I have searched back about 4 months in this thread, and can’t seem to find an answer to this question. Are hammocks still available around the resort, or have those been temporarily removed?
We are hopefully headed to HHI for our annual trip in early March, and those are a favorite of the whole family!

I’m also not seeing specific mention, but I’m assuming that B’lou and Shadow are not currently out and about? 😢

As of our trip this past September, hammocks were still out, Shadow was away on a 'fishing trip', and there were no scheduled events in the den or anything with B'lou.

Has anyone done any of the nature/conservation activities with Miss Cassie since these extras have been available again?

We love Miss Cassie !

Yes, she is doing the tours one family at a time due to covid. We did the resort and beach tours in November - she was lovely and very knowledgable :)

I’m also not seeing specific mention, but I’m assuming that B’lou and Shadow are not currently out and about? 😢
The hammocks are absolutely available. As for B'lou and Shadow, as others have mentioned, they are still away on an extended fishing vacation. Enjoy your trip! Perhaps I'll run into you! ;)

We booked our first trip for September!!!! I hope we can go. We live in Canada and are currently still in lockdown. Last year we canceled two WDW trips at the boardwalk :sad2: I am so excited to go. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions on what we can do there

We booked our first trip for September!!!! I hope we can go. We live in Canada and are currently still in lockdown. Last year we canceled two WDW trips at the boardwalk :sad2: I am so excited to go. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions on what we can do there
So much has been recommended in previous posts, but I'll summarize a few things:
1) Rent bikes as there are miles upon miles upon miles of bike trails here, including trails leading to Disney's Beach House from the main resort. Can easily rent them at the Disney resort.
2) Kayak tour, dolphin tour, fishing tour--you get the picture. The front desk will have suggestions of whom to contact.
3) Crabbing from the pier at the main resort. Get supplies from the rec dept window at Big Dipper pool area.
4) Yard games at the resort: bocci ball, horseshoes, corn hole, and more. The equipment is available through the rec dept window, too. (Note: some restrictions right now during Covid but most games still available).)
5) Obviously, hang out at the beach or go between the beach and the Beach House pool depending on your mood.
6) Take in historic Savannah (an hour's drive) or Charleston (2 hours).
7) Relax on your balcony or at either pool and the hot tub at the main resort.
8) Eat some great low country cuisine at the numerous restaurants around the area. I'm sure many would be happy to make recommendations.

Enjoy!

Does HHI resort have freezer storage for food you can use when you have to switch rooms.

I believe they do We've had to move rooms a few times, and they stored everything in a room right off Big Margie's Den and I remember that there was a refrigerator/freezer in there

Crabbing on the pier - can someone describe this? Is it free?

We go in June and I want to give my DD4 a taste of things like this, but I’m not a fisherman 🤣. This sounds like a fun activity but I need to figure out what I’m doing!

Does HHI allow DoorDash or Grubhub to make deliveries? If so how do they get through gate?

Crabbing on the pier - can someone describe this? Is it free?
It used to be free (don't know for sure if it still is) and we'd just borrow the crab traps from equipment rentals and walk out onto the pier. SC allows crabbing (to harvest them) from October through May. You'll likely have more success in the beginning of the season, October/November/December, or the end of the season, April/May. Not 100% sure but I think they also still allow only catch-and-release between June and September. You'll have to ask when you're there in June.

Ask the CM to show you how to pick up or hold the crab once you catch it, so you don't get pinched. It's easy, you just bring your hand toward it from the BACK end of the crab and grasp the crab above and below the middle of its shell with your palm at the back end. Then while it's claws are waving, they can NOT reach your fingers.
If you'll want to keep/cook them, turn it over to see the underside, whether it's male ("Washington Monument") or female ("Capitol Building Dome"). You can only keep/cook crabs over 5 inches from side point to side point and never females that have an orange sponge full of tiny baby crabs. 🦀 To keep your catch alive and fresh, bring along a covered bucket or pot and fill it with water from the inlet there to hold them while you're still crabbing. Or just go crabbing for the fun and toss them all back into the water right away. 🦀

Crabbing traps are usually simple metal rings with netting stretched across them and a fishing hook tied into the center of the net. The outer ring is attached to a long rope.
Tie the far end of the rope to the deck railing at the end of the pier. Attach a piece of bait to the hook and lower the baited net to the river floor. You may wait until you feel movement on a taut rope or periodically pull up the net quickly to check it or you may even be able to see a crab climb onto the flattened net to pick nibbles off the bait and then you pull it up quickly. Lift the net onto the deck and the kids can watch the crab scurry to the edge of the deck and fall back into the water or you can pick it up to see it better before tossing it back. Our kids (pre-teens at the time) LOVED this so much that we bought our own crabbing nets!

BTW, we've seen lots of different things used as crabbing bait... chicken necks, small shrimp, pizza crusts, steak meat/fat scraps... they're scavengers so they approach almost anything. It was funny that sometimes when we brought both crabbing nets and fishing poles to ocean breakwaters, we caught more eels in our crabbing nets and more crabs holding onto our fishing pole bait! 🤣

But some of our most fun crabbing was definitely at the HHI resort. :earsgirl: Super activity with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter