HHI - First Trip

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
I have reservations for our first trip to HHI for this summer. This is be our first DVC trip outside of "The World".

I was looking for a "HHI Lovers" type thread and did not find one. If there is one can someone reply with it, otherwise I have a couple of questions for HHI experts:

1. Do I make ADR's as I normally would ? If so, how?
2. What gives this location the "Disney Magic" ?
3. Do you know of any other links that I can use to research other questions?

Thanks for any insight

We qualify as HHI Lovers. No, you don't make ADRs as at WDW. All the restaurants are off-property. And I'm sorry, but I don't know the procedure for making reservations. We go to HHI off-season when dining reservations are never necessary. The main reason we love it is the CMs are truly the best example of "Disney service", that is questionable sometimes at WDW these days. Everyone is just so nice and helpful and dedicated to the guests having a magical time. The only other things off-hand I can think to tell you is that there's NO Magical Express and no Magic Bands there. I just called last week to make reservations for our next HHI vacation, and the CM was telling me about DME and our Magic Bands. Force of habit, I think. I hope you enjoy!

As Simba's Mom pointed out, there are no on-site restaurants that take reservations. There is a counter service at the resort and one at the beach house. As far as dining reservations for off-property locations, what I do is make some reservations on the Open Table website. That way, I earn points toward a free dining certificate. Something I learned on this last trip--I already knew that the ever-popular Skull Creek Boathouse does not take reservations, but just learned that the CM at the front desk can call and book you a preferred dining time. The way it works is once you get there, you will be seated at the first available table. This would be a life-saver during the summer! Have fun! You will love HHI!

I want to jump on board and mention how magical it is. My wife and I prefer HHI over Disney world. It is super relaxing. Instead of going at 100 miles per hour and having to plan everything out, you can just go and enjoy. Do what you want. Ride a bike each morning. Eat breakfast. Go to the beach. Then get dole whips. Then go to the pool. Or not. The lifeguards there run the activities. If you are there for a week they get to know your kids and are great at interacting with them. The campfire is my daughters favorite, we never miss it. I look forward to our trip all year.

We are also trying HHI resort for the first time in May after our youngest graduates from college. I haven't the slightest idea what there is to do there besides golf and the beach.

We are planning our first trip to HHI as well this summer. We will be going with my brother and his family in a 2 bedroom. My wife really wants to go to HHI as a extended family vacation with all the kids. So I'm on the boards now to learn about HHI. First thing I like that I heard are Dole Whips :)

We will be traveling with 4 adults, DS 11, DD 8 and my 2 year old nephew and 7 month old niece. Any must do's? I know with my niece and nephew it might be hard but maybe something to do with my family for a half a day.

hayesdvc if I come across any good links I'll share them here as well.

Thanks
Ron

Must do-visit with Shadow, the resident mascot-and B'leu. Usually there's an official "Meet and Greet" but of course, you might see them anytime around the resort.

Also, if you're celebrating anything be sure to let them know, then watch the resort channel on the TV-

Pluto had a meet and greet on NYE as well. Also thoroughly enjoyed the wine tasting event with Chef Gordon this trip. Zipline Hilton Head is great. They have a ropes course as well for those not up to ziplining. Cast members are outstanding. As mentioned, you have to see B'Leu and shadow. B'Leu has many different performances and shows throughout the week. Also kayaking on Broad Creek through the resort is a great experience.

Shame on me for forgetting about Chef Gordon's wine tasting event! He offered it twice when we were there at Thanksgiving, and we enjoyed it so much we did it both times. I'd recommend anything he's doing. Chef Gordon previously had many more offerings, but stopped (I'm not sure why) about 10 years ago. I remember one was an appetizer-making class that was such fun. Do whatever event he's offering!

I have reservations for our first trip to HHI for this summer. This is be our first DVC trip outside of "The World".

I was looking for a "HHI Lovers" type thread and did not find one. If there is one can someone reply with it, otherwise I have a couple of questions for HHI experts:

1. Do I make ADR's as I normally would ? If so, how?
2. What gives this location the "Disney Magic" ?
3. Do you know of any other links that I can use to research other questions?

Thanks for any insight
Here are a few sites to get you started. TUG (Timeshare Users Group, esp the reviews, are a great source as well)
I'd look at trip advisors https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g54273-Hilton_Head_South_Carolina-Vacations.html
http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/?gc...nH-PjnIomIH9OFzrI0vXvxCSDYvfXjIqhYRoCAvnw_wcB
http://www.hhisleinfo.com
http://www.hiltonhead.com
http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/ourisland/vacationinfo.cfm
http://www.hiltonheadchamber.org/business-resources/press-and-media/fast-facts/
http://www.gosur.com/map/united-sta...m69Gz8bhuAb50xR3bTRRKXIw6qDVuKotVLhoCXO_w_wcB

Sadly, we were going for our 1st trip last October but the hurricane changed those plans. After months of planning the road trip there, it was very disappointing. We'll have to give it a try again but road trips are difficult for me now & it's cheaper for us to fly to Orlando. All these positive reviews are making me want to give Hilton Head another try though.

Rent bikes for older kids and maybe even kiddie carrier for young ones. You can bike to beach, to mini-golf, to nearby outdoor mall, shopping, restaurant area. Get day planner as soon as you get there and let kids pick activities. Campfire a must for everyone. Evening outdoor movies are fun. Little ones will enjoy kiddie pool at main resort and dancing water at Beach pool. Plan one trip down to lighthouse (you have to pay to drive that far in but if you bike on the beach you can get around the gate). Kids love fishing or crabbing off pier. There are kayak rentals and big boat rides. You can boat to Dafuskie Island.

Last edited:
We love HHI, there is a facebook group that has lots of good info. DHHIR-Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. Don't forget to ask the CM's which is their favorite place to eat, have found many great places by doing that. It is so relaxing and beautiful there.

We had some pixie dust on our first trip to HHI last summer! When we arrived we asked about where can could find Mickey Bars, well later that evening we had a note on the door welcoming us and telling us to check the freezer...we found two Mickey Bars! The CMs are amazing! I was doing a tough workout on the treadmill and a CM came in the brought me a huge cup of ice water! We absolutely loved our trip there. Planning on trying to book the end of August again this year!

We LOVED the disappearing sandbar/dolphin excursion with Commander Zodiac. My kids said it was their favorite part of the trip. There is a Disney HHI Facebook page you can join for tons of info!

Such a wonderful resort, but don't forget there are no elevators in the buildings except for the Lodge, and those two bedrooms are actually 1BR plus a studio, so the second bedroom only has one queen bed and one sofabed. HHI is my favorite Disney location, so much so that I talked my husband into buying a condo down there - in the complex that you can see from the resort. I still go over and visit the resort occasionally. As for restaurants/reservations, they will give you a restaurant guide when you check in. Hilton Head has soooo many good restaurants, many with Early Bird menus. Enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter