here we go

missfigment

Mouseketeer
okay so Im about to start planning on our very first disney vacation with our 1 year old. He'll be one and a half by then. 5 days and 4 nights. I dont have very many details yet. we won a trip...So what I want to know is what do I really need to know about vacationing at disney with a one year old. My mother will be coming with us as well. I am a first time mommy. ive vacationed at disney before bu never with my son. Any help from all you veteran disney vacationers with small kids? Much appreciated!

Congrats on winning a trip! That's awesome!

Make sure to make some time for down time every day. We always went back to our room shortly after lunch to take a nap and wind down. Then went back to the parks late afternoon-ish.

Snacks-bring plenty of snacks that you know your child likes. At 18 mos he'll be more of a "grazer" than a meal eater. Just give him snacks when ever he's hungry and if he eats at meal time-great. If not, don't stress about it. Raisins were my ds's favorites at that age. You can find lots of healthy snacks to bring.

Stroller-bring one from home if you want to save some money vs renting one. Plus he'll be use to his own stroller and at airports and at the resort it would be nice to have one.

Sunscreen is a must and a big floppy hat.

That's all I can think of now. I'm sure others will chime in too.

congratulations!!

I also agree with bringing your own stroller and snacks. There are many carts around the park but not really toddler friendly food.

We took our oldest son to Disney when he was 18 months old - I remember him wanting to walk all the time. I was too nervous to let him walk as he might get lost or get in other people's way. Now looking back, I should have let him walk - it wasn't that busy (we went the first couple weeks of Dec) and it would have saved some aggreavation for all involved.

We just bought Toss n Go cups - but these have covers that screw on - we are very excited! Sad, I know.

Take advantage of the Child/Parent Swap - it's great and saves time!!

You will have lots of fun!

Try to stick to his normal schedule as much as you can. If he tends to take his nap at the same time every day, plan to be back at the resort at that time. Even if he doesn't sleep as long, the down time will be good. And try not to let him get too far off his bed time. I found bringing pajamas to the parks in the evenings was great, I would change DD and put her in pj's before heading back to the resort. That way if she conked out in the car/on the bus we could carry her to the room and just put her right down.

Definitely bring his favorite snacks, and a couple of new ones too. New snacks are great distractions while waiting in line, at restaurants, etc. I also go to the dollar store and pick up some new coloring books and little toys like cars, etc. Having "Mommy's bag of tricks" at a restaurant can save your meal. :thumbsup2

Made-ahead diaper change and feeding-time kits were a life saver! For diaper changes, take a gallon size ziplock and put in: diaper, a few wipes (I put these in a sandwich bag), and a disposable change pad. Then when it's time for a diaper change you can grab a kit, hit the restroom, put dirty diaper, wipes, and pad into the gallon ziplock and dispose. Much faster & easier than dragging the whole diaper bag in. For meals I would put a disposable bib, couple of individually wrapped Wet Ones, and disposable place mat in a quart size ziplock. Then we'd be set for the meal and again, all the dirty stuff gets zipped in the bag.

Bring your own stroller from home. Yes, it can be a pain in airports and on the buses, but your little one will be far more comfortable and having the recline is great when he zonks out while you're walking around the parks.

Child Swap is nice, but to be honest we just used Fast Pass and took shifts with DD. It just easier sometimes.

Congrats on winning a trip, how exciting is that?!?! :woohoo: Have a great time!!!

Child Swap is nice, but to be honest we just used Fast Pass and took shifts with DD. It just easier sometimes.

I originally thought that Child Swap was EVERYONE going into the line together but you don't have to.
You can go through the regular line or fastpass (if you have one) and the other person staying with the child is given a child swap ticket, similar to a fastpass ticket. When the other person is done riding, you can go through the fastpass line.

My rule of thumb would be expect the unexpected and have fun! We just got back with our 16 month old and it was a great trip! The only issue we had was my DS would not sleep in the PNP and was in bed with us. Not ideal but I'm not complaining since that was the only real "problem". Bring favorite snacks from home. A backpack makes a great diaper bag in the parks. Make sure baby is comfy in the stroller that you use. Some new toys to keep him interested. We got a new MagnaDoodle for my son and he loved it. Go slow and enjoy every second!!

We went our two kids this year. Our youngest was 18 months during the trip.

Definitely bring your own stroller (it saves money by not having to rent one plus you can use it outside the parks).

Schedule some time back at the resort each day. Although when DS got tired he is known to just fall asleep in the stroller with no problem.

Bring snacks.

There are Baby Care Centers in each park. They make changing diapers much easier (though sometimes it was a trek back to the location).

I bring a big bag (it fits under our stroller with things we would need - sippy cups, snacks, diapers, wipes, sunscreen, hats, etc). A backpack would work just as well (and that's what we plan to take next time).

And your camera. Ask upon checkin for a 1st time button for your son.

I originally thought that Child Swap was EVERYONE going into the line together but you don't have to.
You can go through the regular line or fastpass (if you have one) and the other person staying with the child is given a child swap ticket, similar to a fastpass ticket. When the other person is done riding, you can go through the fastpass line.

For most rides, yes you can get a child swap ticket from the CM at the line entrance. Then the first shift rides the ride (either stand-by or with FP) while the second shift waits with the little one. When the first shift is done, you trade out and the second shift rides with the child swap pass in the FP line.

The only thing is, your entire party, child included, must go to the CM at the line entrance to get a child swap pass. The CM won't give you a pass without physically seeing a small child. There were times it was honestly just easier to send one person to grab FP for everyone, rather than dragging DD around to every line. But if you're going past the line entrance anyway, stopping for a child swap pass is a no-brainer.

One caution: The only ride (that I've found) where different rules apply is Rock n Roller Coaster. Since the main part of the que is outside, the entire party, small child included, must wait through the whole outside line. Only when it's your party's turn to go into the building will you be given a child swap pass. In that case, it's definitely easier to just get FP for your party and take turns riding.

Wow have fun!
We just got back with our little guy. It was a good trip but boy was it tiring at times.
We planned early dinners (5:30 being the latest) and DS still wasn't too good at dinner time. 1/2 way through the vacation we tried to change to ADRs for sit down lunches and had CS dinners. This helped a bit. The day was just very long for DS and sitting and being good at a restaurant was just too much for him.
Plan on letting him play in the different play areas in the parks. We never even noticed the Honey I shrunk the Kids area at DHS or Poohs Spot in the MK but we spent quite a bit of time in these areas just letting DS run around and be a kid! We also took him to the playground at the resort in the mornings.
Also, don't worry if you don't get everything done or go on every ride. Enjoy the things you do get to do and save the rest for next time! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter