DIS Veteran
Today
Seven Dwarves down; offer to get out o line for FP
Splash down

Wednesday
Big Thunder down; we were given paper FP good until today

Friday
Tower of Terror down right after half the family ride; FP issued via email

It's not uncommon for rides to have temporary stoppages and you've just been luckier with your plans in the past. I've noticed that when there is large amounts of school groups (which there is right now and damn are they huge 30-60 person groups) that they kind of skirt the rules or just don't care about them. some of the "breaks" could have been safety stops for stupid things being done by uncaring people but unfortunately we never get told why it's not running. Also weather changes make it interesting, it did just jump up in temp.

ToT is interesting, was the whole ride actually stopped? many don't know that it's 2 drop chutes and when they stay it's stopped, it's really half the ride that is down so they leave making it a really short line for those that didn't. It's actually a great trick to the ride if you see it suddenly jumping up in wait time to double or temporarily down announcements as most of the line clears out and you get a very short wait ride on a very busy day..

This happened on my last trip as well. I think this is pretty common these days, really. During our 8 days, for nearly a full day or off and on during the day, Test Track, Big Thunder, Dwarfs, Pirates, Aladdin's Carpets, Figment, Frozen ride and Buzz Space Ranger Spin were down quite a bit. We were a bit surprised, but the crowds were not bad so we could find other things to do.

While we would all like for the attractions to operate fully 100% of the time, that's just not realistic. Even a well maintained attraction can have a surprise breakdown - similar to you maintaining your car regularly and having an obscure part fail. I agree that a lot of the issues can be tied back to guest behavior rather than a mechanical issue, but the mechanical issues are going to happen. The only other option would be to close the rides more often for deep maintenance, which people also don't appreciate. It's kind of a lose/lose situation for Disney (and all the theme parks really) - they get complaints if things break down, and they get complaints if things are taken out of service for maintenance too often. At least they do give you FP alternatives when it happens (and we've had some pretty good alternatives from time to time that actually meant more than the ride that went down).

It's not uncommon for rides to have temporary stoppages and you've just been luckier with your plans in the past. I've noticed that when there is large amounts of school groups (which there is right now and damn are they huge 30-60 person groups) that they kind of skirt the rules or just don't care about them. some of the "breaks" could have been safety stops for stupid things being done by uncaring people but unfortunately we never get told why it's not running. Also weather changes make it interesting, it did just jump up in temp.

ToT is interesting, was the whole ride actually stopped? many don't know that it's 2 drop chutes and when they stay it's stopped, it's really half the ride that is down so they leave making it a really short line for those that didn't. It's actually a great trick to the ride if you see it suddenly jumping up in wait time to double or temporarily down announcements as most of the line clears out and you get a very short wait ride on a very busy day..
We have been regular visitors since 1989. This is unusual. Disney decided to give us FP to replace TOT. We didn't ask; they just sent an email about the closure with new FP. We were also temp stuck on Haunted with a nervous toddler.

It's nice they compensated with FP - they certainly didn't need to.

I'm not saying rides should break but they do, especially as we enter peak season.

A lot of times it isn't the rides fault and it isn't really "breaking"
I know when I worked at Space Mountain we would go 101 because someone took too long getting into the ride vehicle or took too long getting out of the ride vehicle that it would back up and then the system would shut down.

We have been regular visitors since 1989. This is unusual. Disney decided to give us FP to replace TOT. We didn't ask; they just sent an email about the closure with new FP. We were also temp stuck on Haunted with a nervous toddler.

It's nice they compensated with FP - they certainly didn't need to.

I'm not saying rides should break but they do, especially as we enter peak season.

This is standard when a ride goes down. If a ride is down and it's during your FP window or your FP window is approaching, the system automatically sends you an anytime FP that can be used for that ride later or a list of other rides

Over the many trips we have had it happen where it feels like a lot keep going down. We've been evacuated off rides as well. I only really minded 2 times-once when it was during a MVMCP and it was for over a half hour on the people mover-and when I stood in line at SWW for the fab5 for over an hour in the full sun and the rest of the family got stuck on the movie ride for all that time and then the 5 went on break by the time they got out-ugh...

When we were there HM must've stopped every time we were on it. I think it has to do more with having to stop the ride to get people off that can't move fast enough at the end of the ride since its constantly moving :)

how long was the stop with Haunted Mansion as that could be having to stop for a handicapped rider getting off. I have been there and done that to other riders with having to slow ramp speed and still having trouble walking

In February we got stuck on Haunted Mansion in the loading area for about 10 minutes. Then we loaded and got stopped a few times during the ride. That same day, we also got stuck on IASW for about ten minutes, although that was because someone in front of us was standing in the boat. And in the evening we got stuck on Buzz for 15 minutes. Both Buzz and HM had issues with the chairs swiveling like they are supposed too as well. I think they may have needed some WD-40 or something.

The fun one was at AK later in the week when we got stopped on the Safari for 15 minutes due to rhinos surrounding our vehicle. Luckily they were happy rhinos and just wanted to say hi and not hit the vehicle or anything.

On our last trip in summer 2016, which was a long one, rides went down from time to time. As I mentioned earlier, our feelings are "it happens". We have a family friend who is a CM, working in the parks, and she says that the overwhelming majority of rides "going down" are due to guests doing something they shouldn't. Those shut downs usually don't last too long. The only ride we noticed going down often, and for long periods, was People Mover. It must have been evac'd 3 or 4 times, and that was only the times we observed it....who knows how many times it was down when we weren't in MK. Seems odd it would go down so often.

We were on Buzz this month. One of my DSs just scored 999,999. Then the ride stopped, the lights came on, and all of us scored 999,999. then the scores re-set and I scored 999,999 again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter