Here now live trip reports nightly!

OMG - I don’t know if I would have admitted that on a public forum! 😉

Lol, no shame!

My grandma was a grammar freak and we were never allowed to speak pidgin growing up. We didn’t “close the lights” and nobody got “dirty lickens”. As Asian immigrants, they tried hard to assimilate into American culture by speaking “good English” ... like “shaved ice” lol 😆

Lol, no shame!

My grandma was a grammar freak and we were never allowed to speak pidgin growing up. We didn’t “close the lights” and nobody got “dirty lickens”. As Asian immigrants, they tried hard to assimilate into American culture by speaking “good English” ... like “shaved ice” lol 😆

I’m with you there! I lived in Hawaii multiple times, and when we moved back when I was 7, it was very ingrained in me to speak English properly. So I nevah :-) spoke pidgin either. My older brother and sister had a hard time assimilating (they moved from Taiwan when they were ten-ish), so my parents were very strict about correct English only as well.

We grew up in the Kahala area. It’s still jarring talking to old friends who stayed in the area and speak pidgin. Seems weird when it’s just one person, and not in the local surroundings.

but for us it was “shut the lights!”

I’m with you there! I lived in Hawaii multiple times, and when we moved back when I was 7, it was very ingrained in me to speak English properly. So I nevah :-) spoke pidgin either. My older brother and sister had a hard time assimilating (they moved from Taiwan when they were ten-ish), so my parents were very strict about correct English only as well.

We grew up in the Kahala area. It’s still jarring talking to old friends who stayed in the area and speak pidgin. Seems weird when it’s just one person, and not in the local surroundings.

but for us it was “shut the lights!”

Small world - I live a couple blocks off Waialae! My husband can turn the pigeon on and off, skill I'd like to learn one day. We've been together for over ten years and it still trips me out when he talks with the bruddahs!

Small world - I live a couple blocks off Waialae! My husband can turn the pigeon on and off, skill I'd like to learn one day. We've been together for over ten years and it still trips me out when he talks with the bruddahs!
Mmmmmm … I’m thinking of Kokohead Cafe now!

I went to Kahala Elementary and Kaimuki Intermediate - probably within a stones throw.

for some reason I can flip into a different language, but never different dialects. I think it’s the natural inclination to “ignore” accents - pidgin, Southern, etc - my brain always hears “English”.

One of the first times I was watching TV in Singapore with my future wife, she was amazed I could understand what they were talking about. She explained it was because they were talking in the local slang (“Singlish”)…. But all I heard was English (Singlish = pidgin = English to me).

Honey I'm Home!

I just had a once in a lifetime trip at Disney's Aulani, and I have some thoughts I would like to share with some of you guys! For those who are unsure about before you go, if you don't want to be subjected to a 10-day quarantine, you have to show your proof of vaccination to please ensure that you visit the Safe Travels website as Aulani double checks this information was verified with the airport as well. So, ensure that you have everything in order before you got ALSO - EVERYWHERE that you go out to eat they want to see proof of vaccination they do take a photograph of your card, and photo ID as well!

We booked a 7-night trip, and to ensure that I got as much out of my Aulani stay as possible I booked a pre-night in Waikiki area. I think I already discussed this, but I have a certain vision of Hawaii, and I think that vision is what was sold to me as a kid in the 90s where it was literally paradise. Waikiki is in my humble opinion, Manhattan with a beach front, and not there is anything wrong with that, but I just was not expecting that! The first night we went to Costco and loaded up on goodies for the room ...FYI there are these Onion Kettle Cooked Hawaiian chips that are SO GOOD. I think that is a prerequisite for those who don't want to buy all of their meals at Aulani/Hawaii as it can get pretty pricey quick!

The next morning, I got up super early - donned our family with Hawaiian shirts and headed out to Aulani. When you guys return from your trips, please tell me if you felt the same way that I did...the whole area just was Hawaii that I imagined and dreamed of. Everything was beautiful, flowers everywhere, and amazingly happy/helpful people. We pulled up to the resort and the main lobby just takes your breath away...it's just stunning, there is no way to describe it. You can look at all the photos that you want, but that initial first view is jaw dropping.... you feel that you've stepped into paradise.

Monkey Pod across the street was honestly so good - we ate at Off the Hook, Makihiki, and we agreed the food at Monkey Pod is just so good; and the don't charge you an arm and leg for it! Make sure that you do the rainbow reef full stay it's only $20 more and gives you something fun to do daily while your other half is having lunch or playing with the baby. I had a BLAST in rainbow reef as every time I went, they were feeding the fish.

The shave ice must have the ice cream, condensed milk, and Mickey ears to be an appropriate shave ice at Aulani ;). No flavor combination is bad either, even flavors that I didn't enjoy I was happy with!

I've summed up most of my trip so far, but I think only because of the long flight I wouldn't do Aulani more often, but for those who are on the edge I would DO IT. Life it short and as we've seen with then pandemic nothing is guaranteed, so ensure that you are living your best life every single day!

PRO TIP if you love Disney Characters like me, please don't rely soley on the app you still have to go to your room and dial C-H-I-P from the room phone, so it gives you an accurate listing and viewing of where the characters are for the day.

PRO TIP if you are going to the Luau do not arrive there on time arrive early as they take FOREVER to seat you and it eats into your time ordering drinks and participating in activities that are around the luau area.

PRO TIP remember when you are shopping you can get 10% off not only with your DVC membership but if you have the Disney Chase VISA Card you can use that to get 10% off all merchandise.

PRO TIP if you buy photopass at the resort its $99 dollars, however if you buy the photopass from the Disneyland website it's $78 dollars.

PRO TIP if you want to participate in the fish feeding with your family you have to be there when it opens at 8am as it goes QUICKLY.

Thanks so much for the great trip report! Glad you found your piece of paradise, and had a wonderful time! Sounds like you’re back on the East coast somewhere? If so, hope you stay safe and warm until your next voyage. :thumbsup2

Can you please tell me how you purchased the photo pass for Aulani for $78 on the Disneyland site? When I went to to the Disneyland site it says that you have to purchase it at Aulani. Thanks,

Thank you everyone for letting me share this adventure with you, and I’m so happy you guys love my son too - legitimately a blessing from god! Can you believe this baby slept 8 out of 10 hours on the way home?

I’m just going to share one more if you don’t mind as it was one of my favorites!

Last edited:
Can you please tell me how you purchased the photo pass for Aulani for $78 on the Disneyland site? When I went to to the Disneyland site it says that you have to purchase it at Aulani. Thanks,

hey @tntstults you have to go through the Disneyland website and get length of stay (usually 7 days for photopass and it comes to $78) on the full website.

Last edited:
Hey lady post I know people ask about photo sessions for those who aren’t interested in photopass I did a little private shoot with a photographer I think they came out ok but if you want snaps by yourself it’s located on secret beach right by the four seasons

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter