Is social distancing not being enforced outdoors among guests without masks? Or not being enforced with masked guests, or just not being enforced across the board?

There’s no social distancing anywhere. Hasn’t been for months. In fact, reports on here are they tell you to fill all available space. Even before vaccines were widely available, walkways were often too crowded to stay six feet apart, queues frequently had people within six feet laterally, and they were seating parties in the same ride vehicle with plexiglass (which based on reports here, has been removed from all ride vehicles now). Some report that restaurants do have some distancing.

Is social distancing not being enforced outdoors among guests without masks? Or not being enforced with masked guests, or just not being enforced across the board?
Definitely NOT being enforced across the board.. example .. fireworks at Magic kingdom, outside , wall to wall people no masks . Queue areas like monsters inc , inside wall to wall people with masks..

There’s no social distancing anywhere. Hasn’t been for months. In fact, reports on here are they tell you to fill all available space. Even before vaccines were widely available, walkways were often too crowded to stay six feet apart, queues frequently had people within six feet laterally, and they were seating parties in the same ride vehicle with plexiglass (which based on reports here, has been removed from all ride vehicles now). Some report that restaurants do have some distancing.
We were seated in the skyliner across from another couple we didn’t know and got stuck for almost 1/2 hour

I think if social distancing was enforced it would be almost impossible for Disney to be open. 1/2 of the attractions would not logistically be able to pull it off

They operated with social distancing in place for months after they reopened last year. I guess you probably mean long term money wise? Logistically, yes they can do it but financially it wasn't sustainable I don't think given they needed to reduce overall park capacity so severely.

They operated with social distancing in place for months after they reopened last year. I guess you probably mean long term money wise? Logistically, yes they can do it but financially it wasn't sustainable I don't think given they needed to reduce overall park capacity so severely.
How did they logistically handle the Monsters Inc queue right after they opened with social distancing? or fireworks at MK? Those were what came to mind last week where I was feeling the smush of faces

They didn’t do fireworks and monsters inc was not running.
gotcha...so logistically social distancing was an issue. I personally felt that they were so strict on mask wearing but being stuck on a skyliner with another couple was just not ok...just slightly inconsistent at times..I don't have that much faith in masks to be in a literal bubble with others for a 1/2 hour

In 1974 I took my first trip to Walt Disney World with my parents and it has been a source of many happy trips. This is the first time I am have returned truly disappointed. There were certainly moments of fun and joy this time, but those were sapped by malfunctions, moments of frustration and an impersonalness by the Cast Members.

The trip was for a night in Polynesian resort, a trip to Boo Bash, then after sleeping in, an afternoon in Animal Kingdom. I brought my 9 year old daughter and her best friend (who had never been to any theme park) as a surprise. They screamed uncontrollably upon seeing the Disney sign upon our arrival.

The problems started with a minor error on a mobile order at Boo Bash that I had to bring up my receipt to prove that I both ordered at the location and it was an omitted item. Not a huge deal, but the start of a pattern that quickly emerged through a series of ride malfunctions. Towards end of night we were stuck on 7DMT for 10-15 minutes . Neither huge problems, but these time consuming problems do suck in a 3 hour event.

Next day our first ride as waiting inline for Kali when it broke down while we waited then when we finally did get on it broke down a second time while ascending the first hill. The ride needed to be brought down and we were evacuated. After a successful ride of Everest, we decided to get out of sun by riding dinosaur. Again, the ride broke down upon getting in line. After it came back up and we rode it successfully, I inquired what to do next. My daughters friend responded, "I don't care, but I don't want it to break down. Maybe we should leave?"

Ironically the worst part was not just the 4 broke rides in 24 hours and my first ever ride evacuation, it was the cast members and how we were treated. Never during the entire trip did anyone try any sort of ability to empathize. The only Disney employees who spoke to my daughter or her friend were giving instructions such as, "pull yellow tab, watch step, etc." The only information ever provided during any of the 4 events was the automated evacuation message. When the two younger children who shared our Kali raft started overheating and crying and the evacuation squad showed up (a team of 2 that did 4 rafts), they did not ask if the young kids or anyone else was even ok. In fact no one asked any of us how we were doing the entire trip. No matter how many things went wrong, no one said sorry the entire trip. They didn't look like bad people. They looked tired, overworked and just didn't care.

At one point a cast member reportedly tried to blame the guests in the neighboring raft for "breaking the ride". The guests went ballistic and started yelling at the cast members. Besides being overheated and tired, now we were very uncomfortable.

After this hour and a half ordeal they gave a small bottle of water and a fastpass for, "Not Pandora." They didn't say sorry. Didn't ask if this was good or how we were feeling. Never acknowledged the girls existence. Just kind of take it and move on please.

The longest wait at this point for not Kali and not Pandora was Everest at 11 minutes. I mentioned this was not really compenation for such a long and uncomfortable ordeal, what else could they do? Her one word response was "nothing." She stared back, I assume waiting for me to vent on her, but I find that neither appropriate nor satisfying. I just left understanding the message very clear as..I don't care if you are happy or satisfied, I did my job, go find happiness elsewhere.

It was really the feeling conveyed of the entire trip, and it is painfully clear to me that the magic of Disney was largely created by the cast members that worked there. Whether through COVID or management culture shift, that impersonal change of treating people as numbers now exists at the cast member level. I am usually excited for my next trip, but not currently. As far as my daughter's friend, somehow I get the feeling that is a potential customer lost forever.
I felt the same way in June. For example, on 3 different days at RD, our rides ended up being down after we had been in line for quite some time. Another couple rides ended up being down during the day after we were in line. When explaining my frustration to a CM, her expression took a dramatic change. I don't even remember what she said. But she expressed no empathy. We have another short trip coming up next month. Hoping for a bit more magic.

gotcha...so logistically social distancing was an issue. I personally felt that they were so strict on mask wearing but being stuck on a skyliner with another couple was just not ok...just slightly inconsistent at times..I don't have that much faith in masks to be in a literal bubble with others for a 1/2 hour

Logistically I thought they handled it very well actually. I also came back from last September's trip healthy and feeling really good about how seriously Disney was taking the pandemic. Can't say the same after this month's trip unfortunately.

Although they could have done fireworks like other parks did (Seaworld for example) but chose not to. Probably because they couldn't increase capacity to make it financially worth it to them I'm thinking.

Logistically I thought they handled it very well actually. I also came back from last September's trip healthy and feeling really good about how seriously Disney was taking the pandemic. Can't say the same after this month's trip unfortunately.
I had to go to guest relations regarding a ticketing issue and as I was standing in line, there was a mother and daughter (adults) demanding a manager and yelling about how the prices of Disney haven't changed but our "experience" has changed..that the virus is here and we need to live with it. They felt that the lack of cast and staffing clearly were making their experience negative and they will not be back. I looked at the guest relations rep and thought, "oh my..this poor guy"

I had to go to guest relations regarding a ticketing issue and as I was standing in line, there was a mother and daughter (adults) demanding a manager and yelling about how the prices of Disney haven't changed but our "experience" has changed..that the virus is here and we need to live with it. They felt that the lack of cast and staffing clearly were making their experience negative and they will not be back. I looked at the guest relations rep and thought, "oh my..this poor guy"

Yeah, I feel really bad for the CM's and really anyone in the service industry and airlines (flight attendants) right now. The pandemic is sure bringing out the worst in people. Amazing really that the entitlement is still there so strongly even after everything we've all been through together.

Leaving tomorrow. We had 4 days at the parks and overall a great time. Observations to help you plan:
I feel you are probably as safe as you can be at Disney. We are leaving early because we’ve decided not to go anywhere else besides Disney.
Mask compliance in queues, on attractions,
stores was probably 92-95 percent, if not higher. Very pleased with how safe I felt. Big fail: bathrooms. **Maybe** 30% compliance.
This was an adult only trip and we enjoyed all the attractions. I’m hoping that meet and greets (highly unlikely) and attractions like story time with Belle will be back.
social distancing mostly non existent. I was able to experience most queues with a 2, 3 foot space from most guests.
Thoroughly enjoyed Space 220, don’t know that I felt it was as immersive as I had thought it would be. The staff was definitely in character and that added to the experience. The food was very good though.
Crowds were good, it was HOT, but I didn’t stay for any of the fireworks because of the crowd exposure. In fact, we tried to leave before it got crowded in the later afternoon. My profession requires me to be around elderly people, sometimes people with health issues and I do have to accept some responsibility for keeping myself healthy for them.
I did not ride on the buses, and I took the boat to MK instead of the monorail.
As I said, I felt pretty safe and it is up to each individual to ensure that you practice the best safety measures for yourself and your family. One thing I did notice: a lot of kids were putting their hands on EVERYTHING, and not sanitizing afterward.
I would come down again because as I said, it’s up to me to do what I feel is necessary to help me feel comfortable and keep me healthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter