Here Now- definitely noticing changes.

MrsH

I'm earning my ears the old fashioned way, visit a
Favorite items seem to have been re-imagined, and really are just not as good as the original version. We've been hearing that some changes have been made due to allergy issues. But it seems in trying to make the food a one size fits all generic version, flavor has been downgraded, and what made the item special has been removed. I thought it was just me, but DD commented about the same thing this evening.
One of the biggest differences we've noticed, is in the chefs working with DH in choices to meet his vegetarian needs. Previously, we never worried about making ADR's because we knew if the restaurant didn't have a great vegetarian selection, the chef would come up with something that would make the meal enjoyable for him. Usually though, there was always something delicious on the menu.
This time so far, there has only been one veggie option on the menu and DH has not been happy with the selection. Asking to see if the chef could come up with something else, the chef has come to the table only to tell DH that there is a veggie option on the menu that would serve his needs. Basically he has been told by 2 chefs that he was supposed to be satisfied with the option available. So the last 2 evenings he has not enjoyed his meals. Last night his meal consisted of a bowl full of mashed potatoes with a few bits of corn at the bottom. Now I have to go through our ADR's, look at what is on the menu for vegetarians and make sure he will be happy with that option. Personally, every TS restaurant should have more than 1 vegetarian option to choose from :sad2:

Oh this makes me so nervous now!
I'm a vegetarian as well, but I'm rather picky too (I don't like fried foods, I'm not a huge fan of cheese and dairy tends to not like me, essentially vegan 90% of the time.) Potatoes and corn sounds gross

I didn't have any problem a few years ago when I went to Disney just picking off the menu, but I did get rather tired of eating the same thing. I was saying that this year I would be more assertive and maybe ask for something "special" from time to time.

Your story, makes it sound like I'm going to be eating a lot of the same things :(

Our daughter is vegetarian and our son vegan - we have found the best meals at Boma and 'Ohana. Talk with the chef and they make fab meals.
Crystal Palace will walk you thru the line and make suggestions.

I'm interested in the plates that have been downgraded or altered since you last visit. Do you remember any specific restaurants or dishes that seemed altered? I've been to WDW on the DxDP and have dishes I luuuurrv and I would be very upset if they were downgraded because of allergies or gluten or some other nonsense!

Also, why would you go to a restaurant with your DH if he didn't like the veggie dish on the menu? Isn't that like setting yourself up for disappointment, hoping for a custom meal you have no guarantee of? Seems risky when there are so many restaurants that must have options that your DH likes on the menu.

It's unfortunate that your husband wasn't able to get something made to his liking but I can see both sides of the situation. I think there was probably a time when dining establishments at Disney were less crowded and chefs were allowed some more creative freedom in what they could do. Now, they are pushing out dishes for the masses and that kind of individual service probably does suffer as a result.

We're vegetarians so I'm sure to examine the menus very closely ahead of time to make sure we want to eat there. I really don't think I would expect a chef to make something totally off the menu with no warning. Allergies, etc... Are different, but even then there should be advanced warning to the restaurant.

We're avoiding BOG for dinner! for example because my husband doesn't like ratatouille and it's the only veggie option on the menu.

We're doing both sanaa and boma, mama meal rose, and 2 breakfast buffets on our trip.

Before making the trip, we went over the menu's very well. But as we all know, once we are here, what sounded good when making reservations does not always sound good when it is time for the meal. For instance we had a ressie for Boma, but just didn't feel like eating so we cancelled. And then there are the restaurants DD chose specifically that she wanted to eat at as part of her celebration. The problem we run into is that most restaurants are offering one veggie appetizer and one veggie main dish selection. Husband is the only vegetarian in the group and it is not easy finding restaurants we all agree on. If a restaurant has great vegetarian options, not much on the menu appealed to the carnivores. It would be very helpful if more than one vegetarian option was available at most restaurants. Here is a list of TS restaurants we have eaten at:
Tony's Town Square- husband said his meal was okay. Carnivore's agreed.
Biergarten- Husband loved this on our last trip, found it satisfactory this time. Carnivore's could take it or leave it. Nothing special.
Rose & Crown- Husband said this has been the worst meal of his trip. He hated it. Carnivores enjoyed their portion. Service was bad.
Crystal Palace- The chef walked husband through the buffet, but his only choices were all about sugar. Husband is a diabetic as well as a vegetarian. He does not eat eggs. The chef had no suggestions for this.
Be Our Guest- One vegetarian option. The salad was awesome, but the main entrée was just okay. All agreed food was salty. One carnivore could not eat his steak due to the high sodium. What makes the grey stuff so popular? Did not find it special.
Sci-Fi Star Wars Breakfast- Best Breakfast of the trip so far. Awesome! Wish this was a permanent addition.
Mama Melroses Fantasmic Package- Meal was okay. Dessert was weird. On previous trips we could order an individual dessert if we wanted. This time they brought a tray with 4 samples. We didn't particularly like them and they were not what we would have chosen for dessert. We were told it was because we were doing the fantasmic package. Seems to me if we are paying for the, meal, we should choose our own dessert?
Whispering Canyon Café- husband said this was his favorite meal so far. He wants to go back. They had a pasta dish not listed on the menu. He loved it.
Yak n Yeti- Average food, awesome service.
Ragland Rd- Husband was not happy with this meal. He said he didn't understand what we were paying for.
LeCellier- This one was for the carnivores. The vegetarian did not enjoy his meal. However the filet was awesome, as always.
There is a notable portion reduction in all meals. I knew about this before our trip, but wasn't really prepared to notice it so much. I am fine with it, but DD and her DF do not want to walk away from a meal not feeling full. She has commented that always before she was too full to eat desserts. Now, she is eating dessert at every meal and still not feeling overloaded on food. We still have 2 days left of our trip.
One of my favorites has always been the sticky Toffee Pudding at R&C. They have changed this dessert, reimagined it and it was rather dry and somewhat blah. Very disappointing.

Also wanted to note that DH has been a vegetarian for almost 30 years. So he is very picky over what he eats. Our last trip was 2 years ago. We had no issues, husband enjoyed most of his meals. A few times the chef came out to make sure he was satisfied, and if anything needed changing. Because of that, this time we thought they could maybe make a few changes if the only veggie option was not appealing. But no, that is not an option. Disney seems to have reined in the chefs creativity. Next trip, it will just be DH and myself and we will only make reservations at restaurants that meet his needs better.

prudence64, husband wasn't thrilled with the ratatouille either. But the chef assured us both soup options are made with veggie broth. Just an FYI :)

We're vegetarians so I'm sure to examine the menus very closely ahead of time to make sure we want to eat there. I really don't think I would expect a chef to make something totally off the menu with no warning. Allergies, etc... Are different, but even then there should be advanced warning to the restaurant.

We're avoiding BOG for dinner! for example because my husband doesn't like ratatouille and it's the only veggie option on the menu.

We're doing both sanaa and boma, mama meal rose, and 2 breakfast buffets on our trip.

We were disappointed last week similar to OP. DD and I are dairy-allergic. We don't eat out at home, so WDW had always been a place where we could eat out and feel like we were getting something special. While safe food is available, there is not much unique at restaurants for dairy allergy. If an item on the menu is safe, we get it - there is not much made special anymore. The only thing special is the allergy prep area/machine/utensils. Desserts were the same everywhere, except the tapioca pudding at Sanaa and a multi-allergy cake in a cup at the SWW dessert party. I assume they need to streamline operations, but occasionally having something different would be nice. My theory is that in order to streamline dining, only standard multiple-allergy options are available. I know that many are eating a certain way now and that Disney is probably overwhelmed with special requests, so I guess they feel they must stick with a standard. I am not debating their likely need to keep the special requests from getting out of hand. However, the reality, as a customer, is that food is no longer part of the magic of a WDW vacation if you have an allergy in your party. Can you eat safely - yes. IF my research and ADRs don't produce more "dining experiences" than "eating this again" for our next WDW trip; we will change the way we vacation.

I'm so thankful you posted this! My husband and I are vegetarians and planning a WDW trip with free dining. I am so exited about eating at restaurants and staying on property but having trouble picking my ADR's and sticking to them.

I'm doing what I can, pouring over menus and the reviews here and elsewhere. I have read most of the Disney food blog. :p
But all of these amazing places that everyone raves about and you have to give up your firstborn for a ressie- everyone is raving about the meat! Like, people go and eat steak every day. Ohana! All you can eat meat!
Well then, should I really be sad I couldn't get a reservation then? Would it have been this great for me?

Did you know at hoop de doo you get pasta? Grilled veggies? It's 2 TS credits. How am I not going to sit there, look at my veggie plate (I also have to eat GF) and not be disappointed or feel a bit ripped off? Good vegetarian food is not very hard and it is cheaper to make. It's not too much to ask IMO.

So what I have resolved to do now is this- only take reviews seriously from vegetarians. The steak at Tony's sucks. Ok. But is the ravioli good? Cause we will be happy campers if it is! I am trying to just fly over all the fave and worst restaurants lists and try to listen to those who want to eat what I would want to eat.

I think it's all we can do- stick together as vegetarians and help each other because a restaurant everyone loves, we might hate. *shrug*

I hope the rest of your meals are better! If it helps, I hear La Hacienda is a vegetarian must do! They have a special menu and it sounds awesome.

We don't have any special dining requirements in our group bu we too have noticed the food and service just isn't the same. We used to love Diney dining but we went 3 weeks ago and by the end of the trip we were going off site because all the food just tasted the same, like all the chefs hadto use the sam seasonings.

Oh, this is a shame. We've felt free to choose any restaurants in WDW knowing my sister (when she comes with us) could get a vegan meal that she enjoyed. The chefs have made an entrée for her nearly everywhere we've gone and seemed happy to do so. It's not reasonable to expect every vegetarian on the planet will like and enjoy just one option. I have no problem if they don't want to make meals but then give folks more than one choice. Some folks hate mushrooms and that seems to be a favorite of their one veggie meal menu choice. Yuck.

Before making the trip, we went over the menu's very well. But as we all know, once we are here, what sounded good when making reservations does not always sound good when it is time for the meal. For instance we had a ressie for Boma, but just didn't feel like eating so we cancelled. And then there are the restaurants DD chose specifically that she wanted to eat at as part of her celebration. The problem we run into is that most restaurants are offering one veggie appetizer and one veggie main dish selection. Husband is the only vegetarian in the group and it is not easy finding restaurants we all agree on. If a restaurant has great vegetarian options, not much on the menu appealed to the carnivores. It would be very helpful if more than one vegetarian option was available at most restaurants. Here is a list of TS restaurants we have eaten at:
Tony's Town Square- husband said his meal was okay. Carnivore's agreed.
Biergarten- Husband loved this on our last trip, found it satisfactory this time. Carnivore's could take it or leave it. Nothing special.
Rose & Crown- Husband said this has been the worst meal of his trip. He hated it. Carnivores enjoyed their portion. Service was bad.
Crystal Palace- The chef walked husband through the buffet, but his only choices were all about sugar. Husband is a diabetic as well as a vegetarian. He does not eat eggs. The chef had no suggestions for this.
Be Our Guest- One vegetarian option. The salad was awesome, but the main entrée was just okay. All agreed food was salty. One carnivore could not eat his steak due to the high sodium. What makes the grey stuff so popular? Did not find it special.
Sci-Fi Star Wars Breakfast- Best Breakfast of the trip so far. Awesome! Wish this was a permanent addition.
Mama Melroses Fantasmic Package- Meal was okay. Dessert was weird. On previous trips we could order an individual dessert if we wanted. This time they brought a tray with 4 samples. We didn't particularly like them and they were not what we would have chosen for dessert. We were told it was because we were doing the fantasmic package. Seems to me if we are paying for the, meal, we should choose our own dessert?
Whispering Canyon Café- husband said this was his favorite meal so far. He wants to go back. They had a pasta dish not listed on the menu. He loved it.
Yak n Yeti- Average food, awesome service.
Ragland Rd- Husband was not happy with this meal. He said he didn't understand what we were paying for.
LeCellier- This one was for the carnivores. The vegetarian did not enjoy his meal. However the filet was awesome, as always.
There is a notable portion reduction in all meals. I knew about this before our trip, but wasn't really prepared to notice it so much. I am fine with it, but DD and her DF do not want to walk away from a meal not feeling full. She has commented that always before she was too full to eat desserts. Now, she is eating dessert at every meal and still not feeling overloaded on food. We still have 2 days left of our trip.
One of my favorites has always been the sticky Toffee Pudding at R&C. They have changed this dessert, reimagined it and it was rather dry and somewhat blah. Very disappointing.

He didn't like the portobello dish at Raglan Road?

for a while there, I'd say the late 90s into 2000, there were some really good vegetarian options and the company seemed to be promoting dining quality and promoting itself as a place where even people without kids could get a great meal experience. But the last decade or so it has seemed like there was a shift towards getting people in and out. There is a lot more pre-fab stuff and less options and the quality isn't as good. I've noticed that at different restaurants when a chef changes there can be changes to the menu and to favorite dish preparations. It can be up or down. You used to be able to get a good vegetarian meal at california grill. Annette was a chef at Artist point and then jiko who cooked wonderful vegetarian dishes. I don't know who is great at it right now.

I understand the unfairness of there being limited vegetarian options, and the disappointment over chefs not being willing or able to whip something up you would like. But, what if I (with no dietary restrictions or needs) simply don't like what's on the menu? Can I call the chef out to my able and ask him to make me something special? What if everybody did that? And honestly with vegetarianism and allergy issues on the rise more and more people do seem to need accommodations. The kitchen would be forever backed up. IT does stink that they USED to be more accommodating and now they've had to scale back.

Best bet would be do like I do and try to check out menus ahead of time and book places that offer something on the menu you'd be happy with or that could be easily modified for your needs.

Oh, this is a shame. We've felt free to choose any restaurants in WDW knowing my sister (when she comes with us) could get a vegan meal that she enjoyed. The chefs have made an entrée for her nearly everywhere we've gone and seemed happy to do so. It's not reasonable to expect every vegetarian on the planet will like and enjoy just one option. I have no problem if they don't want to make meals but then give folks more than one choice. Some folks hate mushrooms and that seems to be a favorite of their one veggie meal menu choice. Yuck.

I think you can still ask for vegan, but you need to call ahead and ask rather than spring it on them as you order.

I think you can still ask for vegan, but you need to call ahead and ask rather than spring it on them as you order.

Actually you are supposed to spring it on them.
You can check off that you have dietary needs when you make an ADR, but they do not want every single person calling the chefs before they are even there. My son has 9 allergies and they are indifferent as to whether we even give them a heads up. We usually send in a form for our 20 or so ADR's and get a message from one or two chefs.

OP, have you tried to order any of the regular items minus the meat? Such as a stir-fry or pasta dish? Have you asked to substitute veggies for meat? Does he eat fish? (different people mean different things by vegetarian) These things may be easier both for you and the chefs. Honestly, person A needs a special order or the food makes them sick vs. person B just doesn't like what's on the menu... I know it's been different in the past but I see why they aren't jumping through hoops to make off-menu items for dietary choices. When you enter a restaurant, don't like anything on the menu and can't offer any solution that would swap something out for you, it seems really strange you would even try to eat there in the first place.

I have a shell fish allergy and my son is allergic to all fruit. I have suffered with anaphylaxis, as well. I am very sympathetic to special dietary needs or restrictions. But, as has been mentioned, the number of folks who are eating gluten-free or dairy-free or meat-free has just exploded in the past decade! I also think that for whatever reason, sensitivities to foods are really on the rise! It was great that for a time the chefs seemed to be able to handle all the special requests, but I am guessing that so many folks are now making special requests that the chefs are having to prioritize their time for the people who will literally die or be very sick if they ingest certain foods.

What I am not understanding is everyone replying as if being a vegetarian is a complicated or specialty thing. It might be a preference but it is a very serious preference! I don't want that an animal has to die for my food and I don't understand why they should or how it is easier!
We all eat vegetarian meals all the time. Tons of pasta dishes are vegetarian, rice dishes, stir frys, pies, grilled vegetables with mashed potatoes, avocado sandwiches, pizza, veggie burgers, etc.
When my husband started paying attention as to how much of what he ate was vegetarian already, he found it to be an easy switch.

Expecting vegetarian meals, and an assortment of them, is not asking too much. It is cheaper for the restaurant and simpler for them too as there are less cross contamination concerns. There are vegetarian and vegan joints popping up everywhere all over the world because that is the direction our world is headed in. That is has to head in. Meat production is one of the biggest contributors to global warming and people are becoming vegetarians just because of that.

Disney should be responsible both in paying attention to what their customers want and also in showing a bit of sensitivity towards the environment and make have an array of vegetarian meals a priority.

But of course that is my opinion. I would love to start a petition and see how many feel the same way. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter