• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now, a little annoyed :/

I say "Thank You" and the correct response from the employee might be "your welcome". But NOOOO they say "No Problem" what the heck does that mean?!? I know its no problem, because that is why your employer is paying you , or why I am going to tip you. I am tempted when they say no problem to reply "I think you meant to say "your welcome", but it would probably be lost on them.
Actually, the customary reply is "you're welcome", which is short for "you are welcome," which in turn is more or less short for "you are welcome to the service I have just provided."

I don't usually like to correct spelling, unless there's humor to be had or a point to be made. In this case, there are two points. One, the original meaning of "you're welcome" has been lost, which is one reason people have such trouble with the spelling. Second, language evolves, sometimes in meaningful ways. "No problem" is a perfectly acceptable response to "thank you", with the extended meaning of "It was no problem for me to have provided that service." Another acceptable form of response is "it was nothing" or "'twas nothing", meaning "the service I provided took little effort, making me glad to have provided it." Insisting that your response is the only acceptable response is worse than people correcting spelling in casual discussions, where at least there's often a measure of objective correctness.

I've been reading a lot lately about CMs getting their hours cut, not getting raises and part-time CMs not getting any hours at all. I understand why they are not smiling much these days. They may be trying to figure out how to pay their rent :(

I completely understand what you mean about stress, but at the same time, in order to keep the pay we currently have (generally speaking) we have to perform to the expectations our employers expect. If we cannot do that then we (generally speaking) could lose our current employment status. When you have bills to pay, some dollars is better than no dollars. I don't think anybody is being forced to stay with Disney against their will. If somebody does not like the pay, atmosphere, morale, culture, etc, they are always free to apply elsewhere.

Well, DGF and I just returned from a trip (literally just returned, the cab from the airport is probably still on my block), and I can say with certainty a lot of the CMs... irked me with their attitude. More than a few stood out as amazing (and got notes at GR for it) and most of them were pretty decent, nothing amazing, but certainly nothing to complain about. We also interacted with PhotoPass a lot more on this trip and they had a pretty even spread of decent, one poor, none amazing. The difference is, in all of my trips, this has been the norm, I never had a trip where the CMs ranged from awesome to incredible only and I've never had a trip without at least one or two bad apples in the bunch.

Personally, I think there is some nostalgia goggling going on here, which is amplifying a real effect. It's well known what happens when you start to crimp down on your work force and not appreciate them, so I do believe there is a decline in service, I am however somewhat doubtful it is as severe as some here are implying.

I will say, during FoF the other day we were seated next to a group of off-clock CPs that were... sort of horrible. How do I know they were CPs? They were "explaining" the parade to all the kids around them, telling them how it was just their friends dressed up and how cool they were because they knew them. They were bragging to the crowd the whole time about working there in the CP etc, and a lot of little kids sounded upset or confused about why the characters weren't real. Then, as the characters went past, the CPs kept shouting out the real names of the actors trying to get them to break character in a jeering taunting sort of way. It was definitely not magical, but aside from a few dirty looks from me, I sat down, shut my mouth and enjoyed the parade the best I could. Got some great photos, and photos don't have sound tracks, so at least I got a good memory. If I had reliably captured the names of the CPers I would have said something at GR.

Adam

Actually, the customary reply is "you're welcome", which is short for "you are welcome," which in turn is more or less short for "you are welcome to the service I have just provided."

I don't usually like to correct spelling, unless there's humor to be had or a point to be made. In this case, there are two points. One, the original meaning of "you're welcome" has been lost, which is one reason people have such trouble with the spelling. Second, language evolves, sometimes in meaningful ways. "No problem" is a perfectly acceptable response to "thank you", with the extended meaning of "It was no problem for me to have provided that service." Another acceptable form of response is "it was nothing" or "'twas nothing", meaning "the service I provided took little effort, making me glad to have provided it." Insisting that your response is the only acceptable response is worse than people correcting spelling in casual discussions, where at least there's often a measure of objective correctness.
I actually like to hear "no problem" because of what you said here. I realize too that much of what we hear is modern terminology such as "no problem" and "any time" and so on. I'm just happy when they say something and do so in a friendly way.

apparently the parks haven't been that busy in the last few weeks (by Disney standards) and it is the off season. Spring Break is about to hit and the scheduled hours should definitely reflect that soon. Nothing unusual happening here as far as I know. But I look forward to getting down there after spring break and will report back what I find out about CM morale, from an inside scoop.

[QUOTE="DoingDisney, post: 55341225, member: 556973"

And the last post is just ??? I just don't understand that logic. If people are complaining about not getting towel animals in the rooms, that are already charged at a massive premium, how about you tell all the cleaning staff to spend the what, 10 - 20 seconds it would take to make a towel animal in each room they clean ? Thats literally all it would take.

[/QUOTE]

The point being that when something is meant to be an extra sprinkle of pixie dust, and it gets turned into by demanding customers as something they demand each and every time, then it not only ruins the specialness of it it causes Disney to evaluate how much time is being spent vs what it gains them. Not too long ago there was a thread that explained the training some had to make the towel animals and how long they took to do and the supplies they needed. It is way more than 10-20 seconds, and when you have a very short time to clean each room the focus should be on that, cleaning.

They were "explaining" the parade to all the kids around them, telling them how it was just their friends dressed up and how cool they were because they knew them. They were bragging to the crowd the whole time about working there in the CP etc, and a lot of little kids sounded upset or confused about why the characters weren't real. Then, as the characters went past, the CPs kept shouting out the real names of the actors trying to get them to break character in a jeering taunting sort of way.

:scared1::scared1: Seriously?!? This is akin to Santa's off-duty helpers at the mall telling the kids in line that Santa isn't real. It's one thing if kids ask if the characters are real or figure it out themselves, or even if an older child lets it slip inadvertently, but this is beyond the pale.

Sorry, but nothing would have been able to stop me from snapping their photo & heading immediately to GS to see a manager. As a teacher I continue to be 'on-stage' at the grocery store, mall, cinema etc. It's part of my 'role.' Wow. Just wow.

Last edited:

Thank you for the spelling correction, it was simply an oversight, late in the evening. As far as saying no problem, and a persons response, I believe that in a professional atmosphere "no problem" might be a bit too casual, no matter the evolution of language. I did not insist that you're welcome is the ONLY response, a response of no problem from a server might be appropriate when I ask them to bring an extra plate or replace a fork I dropped on the floor. Your response had me do a quick search to see if I had totally misspoken. Since this thread was about the decline of service in a business setting I believe my point does have some validity. In the service industry the goal should be exceeding a guests expectations. Below is a quote from an article and a link to the full article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-gottsman/business-etiquette-the-co_b_6017462.html

This saying can be interpreted as a flip response that is too informal for use in a business transaction. Some other too-casual culprits include: "sure," "uh huh," and "don't mention it."

Despite these objections, there are those that refuse to accept the response of "no problem" as an issue. We may even be so accustomed to hearing it that we use the phrase ourselves. Whether you bristle at "no problem" or take the term in stride, it's important to remember that word choices matter, especially in a professional setting. Clients show their loyalty with their feet...every detail counts in business, and your communication style may be offensive to a valued consumer.

Thank you for the spelling correction, it was simply an oversight, late in the evening. As far as saying no problem, and a persons response, I believe that in a professional atmosphere "no problem" might be a bit too casual, no matter the evolution of language. I did not insist that you're welcome is the ONLY response, a response of no problem from a server might be appropriate when I ask them to bring an extra plate or replace a fork I dropped on the floor. Your response had me do a quick search to see if I had totally misspoken. Since this thread was about the decline of service in a business setting I believe my point does have some validity. In the service industry the goal should be exceeding a guests expectations. Below is a quote from an article and a link to the full article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-gottsman/business-etiquette-the-co_b_6017462.html

This saying can be interpreted as a flip response that is too informal for use in a business transaction. Some other too-casual culprits include: "sure," "uh huh," and "don't mention it."

Despite these objections, there are those that refuse to accept the response of "no problem" as an issue. We may even be so accustomed to hearing it that we use the phrase ourselves. Whether you bristle at "no problem" or take the term in stride, it's important to remember that word choices matter, especially in a professional setting. Clients show their loyalty with their feet...every detail counts in business, and your communication style may be offensive to a valued consumer.

I don't like it either, but it has become almost impossible to avoid being offensive to someone. I think many are "offended" only to see what they can get too. I would never try and "correct" someone who uses No Problem, as that would only make me very rude, instead of a bit flip.

Nobody forces anybody to work for Disney. If you are a CM, you need to be courteous and patient and friendly at all times, good day or bad day, easy or not, because it's part of your job description. If you don't want/like to be with the public, don't work in a theme park. If a situation escalates, you have supervisors and security to help out. There is never an excuse, in the service industry, not to greet someone back or look them in the eye when you are ringing up a sale. I've been in the service industry since for ever, and this is not acceptable. We have to stop making excuses for inexcusable behavior.

:thanks: I was thinking the same thing myself. Another thing I've been hearing more off is CMs griping. On our last trip while standing in line for coffee at POFQ, I had to listen to a one CM complaining to another about their job and another employee right in front of guests. That needs to stop!

Thank you for the spelling correction, it was simply an oversight, late in the evening. As far as saying no problem, and a persons response, I believe that in a professional atmosphere "no problem" might be a bit too casual, no matter the evolution of language.
Aside from a general shift in language, "you're welcome" and "no problem" can mean very different things. Sometimes it is a real problem or took a great deal of effort to meet your request, but you were "happy to have been of assistance". "You're welcome", or "I am glad that I could help you" are great responses. Sometimes it was a very simple task that might or might not have been included in their job responsibilities, so "no problem" would be very appropriate - as in, this was a very simple request and I had no problem fulfilling it for you. I would generally follow up a "no problem" with something like, "Have a great afternoon", depending on how courteous the requester was.

There have always been a multitude of acceptable responses to "Thank you". I tend to stay away from canned responses in a business setting because they feel impersonal and lack real feeling - like making a comment about the weather. I also tend to stay away from a simple thank you for the same reasons. Real, heartfelt courtesy is not canned - so I will happily accept any courtesy that is presented with a smile and the sense that the person was happy to help me, or grateful for my assistance.

:scared1::scared1: Seriously?!? This is akin to Santa's off-duty helpers at the mall telling the kids in line that Santa isn't real. It's one thing if kids ask if the characters are real or figure it out themselves, or even if an older child lets it slip inadvertently, but this is beyond the pale.

Sorry, but nothing would have been able to stop me from snapping their photo & heading immediately to GS to see a manager. As a teacher I continue to be 'on-stage' at the grocery store, mall, cinema etc. It's part of my 'role.' Wow. Just wow.

I believe I would have done the same. I just can't imagine why any CM would do something like this?

Last edited:
We've been going for 10 years and for the first time last month I encountered a very rude CM. She was an older cm(so not a CP) working at the TTC gift shop. This was my sister's first trip and this was her first encounter with a CM, what a impression that left.

She has issues with leg pain and stamina so I was going to rent her a wheelchair at the parks. I drove to the MK parking lot and parked in the HC parking. There is a long walk so I got one of the loaner chairs. Some you can only take to the gift shop, others you can take to the front of the parks. I got one that said you could take it to the front. We stopped at the TTC gift shop and the CM came out and said "you can't take that chair!" I told her I had the correct one and she said 'NO! you have to rent one here" I didn't know this had changed and had no problem renting one there but it was her rude attitude. Then as she was ringing me up she stopped to take a call. She was rude to the other person on the line(another CM) then hung up and continued to tell her co-worker that was someone in ( I can't remember the department) but she rolled her eyes and went on how she didn't have time to deal with this crap. The other CM seemed embarrassed she was going on like this. Finally she got back to ringing me up and I got the heck out of there. I got an online survey when I got back and let them know about this encounter.

There is no excuse for this kind of behavior. I have a part-time cashier job and I have to be polite and friendly every time, no excuses or I could lose my job. Always welcome the customer and thank them when they leave, every time, no excuses. Every receipt I give has a survey on it and one negative response and you are in the managers office.

Ooh I didn't know you could stop by GR when you're had a great experience with a CM. I will have to do that next time. We had so many on our Dec 2013 trip and unfortunately, not so many on our June 2015 one.

There is also WAY more competition in Orlando these days to even get the "wonderful" employees. Disney was the only thing there for years...they didn't have to settle.

And the last post is just ??? I just don't understand that logic. If people are complaining about not getting towel animals in the rooms, that are already charged at a massive premium, how about you tell all the cleaning staff to spend the what, 10 - 20 seconds it would take to make a towel animal in each room they clean ? Thats literally all it would take.

The point being that when something is meant to be an extra sprinkle of pixie dust, and it gets turned into by demanding customers as something they demand each and every time, then it not only ruins the specialness of it it causes Disney to evaluate how much time is being spent vs what it gains them. Not too long ago there was a thread that explained the training some had to make the towel animals and how long they took to do and the supplies they needed. It is way more than 10-20 seconds, and when you have a very short time to clean each room the focus should be on that, cleaning.

Meh, again, to me - just another excuse. If guests want it, for the price they pay for the room, and the increasing prices they pay, they should be getting it. And yes, it takes a few seconds to create them. Do you need some training ? Maybe, but again its not going to be much. I worked serving for a caterer for a while, we learned how to make flowers and animals out of the cloth napkins, took all of 15 mins for someone to teach me how, and took about 10 seconds per place setting to make. Even something as simple as the mickey ears on he bed would be great.

I know its no problem, because that is why your employer is paying you , or why I am going to tip you. I am tempted when they say no problem to reply "I think you meant to say "your welcome", but it would probably be lost on them. In the service industry IMO, that is a training issue, or a lack of quality management. I will now get off my soapbox. :)
So, would you be as equally vociferous if they responded, "My pleasure!"? They are, after all, being paid to perform that service...

Frankly, if I can get any response at all to a "thank you," I consider that a major victory.

I will say, during FoF the other day we were seated next to a group of off-clock CPs that were... sort of horrible. How do I know they were CPs? They were "explaining" the parade to all the kids around them, telling them how it was just their friends dressed up and how cool they were because they knew them. They were bragging to the crowd the whole time about working there in the CP etc, and a lot of little kids sounded upset or confused about why the characters weren't real. Then, as the characters went past, the CPs kept shouting out the real names of the actors trying to get them to break character in a jeering taunting sort of way. It was definitely not magical, but aside from a few dirty looks from me, I sat down, shut my mouth and enjoyed the parade the best I could. Got some great photos, and photos don't have sound tracks, so at least I got a good memory. If I had reliably captured the names of the CPers I would have said something at GR.

Adam
Clearly, they cut that "on stage/off stage" page out of the Traditions training manual...

I was pretty upset, but the FoF was really important to my DGF (her first visit in 16 years, effectively a new first visit, and she specifically asked for this parade) and I didn't want to chance a confrontation. I am not sneaky enough to get the photo with out being obvious. I did give them one hell of a Maleficent eye though. Without positive identification I didn't feel comfortable complaining to GR since by and large we had excellent service on the trip and I didn't want to rain on that or risk a stray complain hitting the wrong CM.

I believe I would have done the same. I just can't imagine why any CM would do something like this?

The impression that I got was they (a girl in her 20s and a boy around the same age) were enjoying their "importance" and wanted the whole crowd to know just how "important" they were. There was a strong whiff of posturing and strutting going on. Clearly it was very important everyone knew how key they were, I mean the whole place would obviously have closed down if they didn't grace us with their presence. :rolleyes1

Ooh I didn't know you could stop by GR when you're had a great experience with a CM. I will have to do that next time. We had so many on our Dec 2013 trip and unfortunately, not so many on our June 2015 one.

We made three separate GR stops for great CMs, two restaurant servers that made my birthday celebration a whole new world of awesome, and one particular girl in Emporium. My DGF was having a hard time finding the right souvenir for her mother (she doesn't like princesses, or pink, and has certain size requirements, but really wanted a shirt!). She asked this CM, and she disappeared to the stock room for ten minutes and returned with an armload of shirts meeting our oddly strict requirements. We bought several of them!

Clearly, they cut that "on stage/off stage" page out of the Traditions training manual...

I'm not sure you can train arrogance out of people, I feel like personally that's a hiring process requirement, but I understand that can be very difficult. My mother works HR for a major corporation and tells me all the time about people that ace the interviews and show up to work as completely different people. It's a tough thing to sort out.

Adam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter