Help with Vegetarian options for a child on the DDP

aimeeg

DIS Veteran
I need a little help! This past year my eight year old daughter has become a vegetarian. Instead of fighting with her we embraced her choice and it's been awesome! No more tears at the table!! Woo Hoo! One thing is we have been very specific about not replacing meat with mac and cheese and pizza. We do our best to make sure she has a balanced diet and is getting enough protein.

I already have our ADRs set. (Akershush, Donald's Safari Breakfast, H&V Play and Dine, Via Napoli, 1900 Park Fare Dinner, Chef Mickey's, Chefs de France, Ohanas and the Crystal Palace.) We are doing a lot character meals because our girls are still young. Those meals I am not terribly worried about because she can pick from the buffet and a big salad. My bigger concern is the other restaurants and counter service places. I don't want her eating pizza or mac and cheese for 10 days.

Has anyone gone to WDW with a child vegetarian? I would love any tips so we could prepare ahead of time.

Our son, now 4, doesn't eat meat (though he does drink milk and eat a bit of cheese and yogurt). Last year we ate at the Flame Tree Barbecue counter-service in Animal Kingdom, and saw the fruit plate on the menu. We asked if our son could have that on the dining plan instead of whatever the kids meals were, and the cashier told us that was allowed if the child is a vegetarian.

Since nearly all child menus in the world include cheese pizza and mac and cheese, however, I'm not sure if there are many other places that would offer this substitution.

I think your best bet would be to look over the menus, available on this site in the dining section, with your daughter to find the places at which she can find healthy meals. Sorry that I don't have more specific suggestions; we let our son eat what he likes in the parks (within reason) and try to get some nutrition into him from the refrigerator in our villa.

I have been twice with my vegetarian daughter- she was 8 the first trip, 9 the second trip. I wish I had better news, but you're pretty much right on with your prediction. Buffets offer a few more options, but regular menu items are extremely limited. There are very few healthy and/or vegetarian choices on children's menus- one of my biggest disappointments at WDW. Cheese pizza, mac & cheese- thank goodness for the fruit salads! If your daughter is willing to try new things, you could certainly ask to talk to a chef at your table service restaurants (I never did this w/ my daughter, because she's reluctant to try new dishes). Good luck. (And good for you for supporting your daughter's decision! :))

Nope, buffets and TS places will be good, but I've had bad luck with CS places. My dd is a vegetarian and basically lives on mac-n-cheese when we are at WDW. What makes it worse is that I'm a vegan, so sometimes a CS that has something for her, will not have something for me b/c the only option without meat is smothered in cheese! :sad2: Hopefully this trip will be slightly easier b/c she is considered an adult on the DPP now. We also make sure we have one TS a day, that helps. Other than that, we figure it's vacation and if she eats mac-n-cheese and pizza all week, so be it! ;)

Well done for supporting her choice. I've been vegetarian for 30 years now and was pleased my mum supported me initially.

How about ordering some adult meals for your daughter, to give her some variety. I know it's more expensive, but mac and cheese or pizza is pretty limiting.

I've heard calling in advance gets you more options. I've never tried this but am also not a picky vegetarian so even as an adult I would probably eat Mac & Cheese every day. Many places have a separate vegetarian menu if you ask for it and I'm sure they would make a child size/price option if you ask.

Has anyone else had success with notifying the restaurant in advance of a vegetarian need?

In my latest blog post, I outline many of my veg-family favorite restaurants. Check it out...(link below) I am a vegestarian, as is my DD3, my sister and my other children are are varing degrees of meat eating....so I definitely have to plan ahead. The only times I have requested a veg meal was at 5o's prime time for lunch....they were very accomodating in making a turkey club...minus the meat!

Also, we have traveled with someone who needed a gluten free menu and every restaurant was VERY accomodating....at Boma, the chef actually walked the buffet with our friend pointing out everything she could eat. At the end of the meal, they brought her very own dessert...not just one piece of cake...but a sampling of gluten free treats.

This past year was our first year that DD3 (veg) had the dining plan....she ate pizza, PBJ, pasta, mac n cheese, grilled cheese. Places that offer kids turkey/cheese sandwich, will make a just cheese sandwichtoo. Also, to provide protein balance, we made sure she had eggs or something for breakfast and/or yogurt. We do not drink cow's milk, as DS11 is lactose intol, so she also drinks soy milk (which you can get as part of the kid's meal). If your daughter eats tofu and the restaurant serves an adult version...i'd ask. hope this helps!

This past year was our first year that DD3 (veg) had the dining plan....she ate pizza, PBJ, pasta, mac n cheese, grilled cheese. Places that offer kids turkey/cheese sandwich, will make a just cheese sandwichtoo. Also, to provide protein balance, we made sure she had eggs or something for breakfast and/or yogurt. We do not drink cow's milk, as DS11 is lactose intol, so she also drinks soy milk (which you can get as part of the kid's meal). If your daughter eats tofu and the restaurant serves an adult version...i'd ask. hope this helps!

I think this is the best answer.

Almost any meat sandwich you can skip the meat or have it on the side for someone else to eat the meat. You may have to go OOP for some items. Then, you may have some better choices like ordering side dishes or appetizers or salads or soups. Use your counter service meals for breakfast at the food court where vegans have a better choice.

On vacation an ocassional pizza or mac and cheese may be all right. Also, you might be able to use an adult credit for some better choices as a vegan meal. Then, you can eat the child's meal credit. Maybe, split the adult choice if it's too much food for the child.

What a great mom you are! :thumbsup2

We are a vegetarian family (we eat dairy and eggs, although my DD is allergic to dairy so she doesn't eat it). We've taken kids between 1-8 to Disney several times and I look at the menus on AllEars to make sure I pick CS places that offer healthier food (I won't let them eat processed pizza everyday--yuck).

One thing I have learned is it is better to find CS locations that have no veg kid option but do have veg adult options. If you ask a mgr, they will always give the kids the adult option when that is the case.

Here are some better options:

MK
Pecos Bill offers a kid's hamburger but you can ask for the veggie burger instead (anywhere that has a kid's choice as hamburger but sells veggie burgers will sub for your DD, even if there are other veg choices--you may have to ask a mgr).

This would be OOP but for just $4 you can buy your DD vegetarian chili at Columbia Harbour House and just use the extra CS for breakfast or something.

Epcot
The Asian counter at Sunshine Seasons will give your DD a tofu, noodle, veg stiry-fry that is really good (you may have to have them ask a mgr because a lot of times they don't think they are allowed, but we always eat there and the mgrs never hesitate)

Tangierine Cafe has 2 awesome veg CS options but for adults. A falafal sandwich w/ sides of couscous and lentil salad or a veggie platter w/ falafals, hummus, couscous, olives, and lentil salad. Kid's pick is only meat there, so they will offer you a veggie kid's choice. I actually am planning to call and ask what they will let my kids have there.

DHS
Backlot Express-only meat kid's options and the mgrs have let my kids have the grilled veggie sandwich on 2 diff occasions.

AK
This is the most difficult place to eat veg.

As a PP said, there's the fruit platter w/ honey yogurt at Flame Tree BBQ (I think DD and I will just pair this with a soft pretzel and have to call it lunch this time--we have eve ADRs at Boma). I will have to get DD soy yogurt and make sure the brand they use doesn't contain gelatin.

There are some adult veg options you could pay OOP for or ask about. Restaurantosaurus has a veggie sub and Safari Eggrolls has vegetable eggrolls for about $2. You could buy an eggroll with some fruits and vegetables from the Harambe fruit market, and a soft pretzel (the pickings are slim here).

Sticking w/ buffets for TS is the best idea, and the chefs will always make things from scratch, too. They will always walk you through the buffet and point out what is veg, but occasionally you have to ask them to (some things look veg but are cooked in beef or chicken stock, etc). The best vegetarian-friendly buffet is Boma at AKL. Also Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine, Crystal Palace, and 1900 PF (if you can confirm that chef TJ is there, he will make your DD a gourmet veg meal for no extra charge--he is awesome). I have heard Ohanas will do an awesome veg entree if you request it (not sure if you have to call ahead).

I see you have an ADR at Akershus. The only veg dish is mushroom-stuffed pasta in cream sauce. My kids do not like this. Just wanted to let you know so you can know if your DD will eat it.

HTH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter